This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

DVD Writer problem

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have just tried to install an external DVD Writer on my laptop but with no success - I'm probably doing something wrong and would be grateful for any suggestions. I plugged the Writer into the laptop USB plug and powered up. I am running Windows XP Professional as an OS. The DVD manual advises that XP users do not need to install a driver and that "windows will automatically provide a default USB device" However if I insert a DVD into the Writer (which is now shown on "F" drive) and click on 'F' in 'My Computer' or try to copy files to it , I get the message "F:\ is not accessible, incorrect function" Anyone have any suggestions as to the problem? Thanks
Have finally got it working - the problem must have been that on my initial installation my pc hadn't recognised the new device for some reason. I disconnected everything, reconnected and fired it all up again and this time there was an additional entry in 'Device Manager' under DVD/CD ROM drives and it now does the biz! :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI