Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

How Do I Re-install Ms (critical) Updates ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pipme

pipme

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 03:13 AM

Hi,
Running Win98Se.
Having been caught up in the old Mk@MSITStore .. hijack, then having used 'windows Update' to get bang up to the minute with updates from MS ... All prior to the work-around for the hijack being designed by Shaddow.
How do I now reinstall the updates from MS .... even if the 'Update' tool relates that I am up to date ? The advice was / is to re-install critical updates.
Should I uninstall IE6 SP1 ? and Outlook Express 6 ? Then run the Update tool ?

In fact how can one override the 'MS Update' tool ? Do I use the 'MS Catalogue' ?
Sorry about all the questions.

Thanks.
P.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 pipme

pipme

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:27 AM

Hi,

Ok, I'll try a little more here. Just in case we are all feeling a little too secure !!

Experimented by Installing the INCORRECT version of HHCTRL.ocx from \Options directory (original 98 se ) using the correct tool.

Reboot, HELP only partially working in Office 2000. missing some buttons.

Go to Web ... Win - update @ M$ checks ok no hiccups ..... No updates offered, all is ok I am effectively told.

According to my registry that is the case, run MS prog qfecheck.exe ah, ha! reports current version of HHCTRL.ocx in C:\windows\System is not the one defined in the registry ...
Look through the previously downloaded update ZIP files find the correct version (matching registry) and singularly install that !!
Now office 2000 help fully functionional, qfecheck.exe is happy.

So of we go to the M$ site to hunt down the updates, using the 'update' tool may not be seeing the reality of a modded system, so I am thinking that I should look after the job myself ... eventually find the update files and begin the process of downloading all the Win 98 se stuff. ... Have to stage this over a week or so, on dial up !!

A chronological simple listing ??? Not found yet but still looking.

The aim ? To produce a cd with all updates and mods for Win 98SE, thus to enable a clean reinstall of full system.
Oh yes, have ordered the M$ cd but am not holding my breath. (Will it be just criticals or all the issued updates for 98se?? )

Ok the above happenings may be due to something being incorrect within my system, but all appears fine.
But, until all the updates and mods retrieved for a pristine new install of 98se ... I'll not be that sure ...

Sorry about the ramble ...... Guess everyone else must know how to reinstall the updates ... accent on RE.
Luck
P

#3 pipme

pipme

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 01:21 AM

This helps !! h**p://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q282784 Little else forthcoming !! P