This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Trojan DNS changer.hg

42 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi

Actually I'm from Finland :)

You're clean!

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and re-enable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

    You can find instructions on how to enable and reenable system restore here:

    Windows XP System Restore Guide
Reenable system restore with instructions from tutorial above
  • Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
  • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
  • Click once on the Security tab
  • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
  • Click once on the Custom Level button.
  • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
  • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
  • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
  • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
  • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
  • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
  • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
  • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
  • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

  • Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

  • Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

    For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

    Understanding and Using Firewalls

  • Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

  • Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer
  • Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

    A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

    Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

  • Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Here are some additional utilities that will enhance your safety
  • IE/Spyad <= IE/Spyad places over 4000 websites and domains in the IE Restricted list which will severely impair attempts to infect your system. It basically prevents any downloads (Cookies etc) from the sites listed, although you will still be able to connect to the sites.
  • MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your coputer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer
  • Google Toolbar <= Get the free google toolbar to help stop pop up windows.
  • Winpatrol <= Download and install the free version of Winpatrol. a tutorial for this product is located here:
    Using Winpatrol to protect your computer from malicious software
Stand Up and Be Counted —> Malware Complaints <— where you can make difference!

The site offers people who have been (or are) victims of malware the opportunity to document their story and, in that way, launch a complaint against the malware and the makers of the malware.

Also, please read this great article by Tony Klein So How Did I Get Infected In First Place

Happy surfing and stay clean!
Oops, sorry about that. Well, where ever you are from, I thank you. I will follow your guidelines closely. I think its a real PITA to go to a seemingly innocent site (like bearshare and others) and get an infection. I would love to get my hands on one of those foul writers…it would be a long time before his/her fingers and hands would be healed enough to use them again….all it takes if for a few rotten eggs to spoil it for all of us…. Oh well, such is life I reckon. Thanks again, and in the immortal words of Mr Spock, "live well and prosper" :) JFD
Shaba….sorry to be a bother but I have another question.. Although my machine is clean and happy, I thought I'd look at my registery So, looking at Hkey_current users (and the rest of the registery folders too) >S-1-5-18>softwear>microsoft>windows>current version>internet>internet settings>P3P>history= every site I must have visited, including those I did NOT want to go to due to that DNS changer thing. Then just below that, is a folder named Zone Map>domains= nearly all of the addresses are there that also appear in the history file. I have found 4 locations (Folders) that have the same files and addresses further down the registery. There doesnt seem anyway to empty or delete the files in these folders. Can it be done manually? What would be the result if I just deleted the folders named Domain and History in each location? I dont have any use for them although "big brother" might.. :ph34r: What are your thoughts?
Hi If you want to delete those registry keys, you'll need to backup registry first: First we'll need to backup registry: Start -> Run -> regedit -> ok. Then File -> Export. Give it a name and press Save. I think that you may first want to empty IE history before trying that :)
ok…I assume you mean empty the IE history folder thats located in the internet options page? I just did that and exported a back up of the registery as you suggested and saved it on my desk top Next step is…?
yes, that did it. Now what to do with the Back up? I wanted to check with you before I did anything further, I didnt know if deleting the history and domain folders would cause any issues or destablize the machine. I do have a window now that opens on start up that says "Can not access configuration for personal web server". Not sure what that means but the machine seems to be working okay. :scratch:
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI