This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Website,Now Winlogon.exe,BSOD,No Safe Mode

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

WinXP Pro SP2, ALL UPDATES, Trend Micro IS 2007, Spybot, Adaware. Laptop has been running for many years just fine. Was in process of researching Reseller Hosting and went to a hosting site. They had a link for demo mode of cPanel. I have done this on other sites with no problem. When I clicked on it IE6 (I refuse to use IE7) it closed and would not reopen. Everything else worked just fine on the computer but no IE. Thinking it was just a program crash I continued my work with other apps and then shutdown the laptop. Next day when I booted, I get through the initial Windows XP screen (with thw loading bar) and then I get a popup box that tells me Winlogon.exe has an error (0x8401a173) memory can not be read. When I click OK then I get a BSOD 021a. Unit then goes into continuous cycle of rebooting. I can not get into Safe Mode either….same error….same BSOD. I can use a CD and get to recovery console. I am at a loss. I am now attempting to put the disk in as a slave so I can copy my files to another disk. I had no alerts from PC-cillin or anything. I know it is not HW related. Swapped out RAM…no change. Put in another HDD and the laptop boots and runs fine. I have obviously been zapped with some malicious code but don't know how to go about fixing since I can not even boot into a windows environment. I need help please.
Update…just in case someone decides to help…I have another master drive for my laptop that I have re-installed and have the "infected" master drive as a slave. I am running Trend Micro scan on the drives. I will then copy all my needed files to another drive. I really do not want to reload the O/S if at all possible as I have a huge amount of apps. 2-3-07
Can access drive via slave config. Ran TrendMicro scan and it found nothing but a few cookies. Deleted everything in temp folder as well as prefetch and internet temp files and tried again. Same thing…no change. Did find website that screwed it up. It is the cPanel Demo link that screwed the pooch. Anyone know anything about this website….sure looks legit.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI