This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Website,Now Winlogon.exe error,BSOD,No Safe Mode

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

WinXP Pro SP2, ALL UPDATES, Trend Micro IS 2007, Spybot, Adaware. Laptop has been running for many years just fine. Was in process of researching Reseller Hosting and went to a hosting site. They had a link for demo mode of cPanel. I have done this on other sites with no problem. When I clicked on it IE6 (I refuse to use IE7) it closed and would not reopen. Everything else worked just fine on the computer but no IE. Thinking it was just a program crash I continued my work with other apps and then shutdown the laptop. Next day when I booted, I get through the initial Windows XP screen (with thw loading bar) and then I get a popup box that tells me Winlogon.exe has an error (0x8401a173) memory can not be read. When I click OK then I get a BSOD 021a. Unit then goes into continuous cycle of rebooting. I can not get into Safe Mode either….same error….same BSOD. I can use a CD and get to recovery console. I am at a loss. I am now attempting to put the disk in as a slave so I can copy my files to another disk. I had no alerts from PC-cillin or anything. I know it is not HW related. Swapped out RAM…no change. Put in another HDD and the laptop boots and runs fine. I have obviously been zapped with some malicious code but don't know how to go about fixing since I can not even boot into a windows environment. I need help please.
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problems with your computer.
Yes, if you suspect malware, you are right to post in:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27

Over on the other forum, a trained and expert malware removal specialist, will give you specific advice and instructions on what to do next.

If you have to wait a while for an expert volunteer to respond, please try and be patient if you can.
They sometimes get snowed under as the number of folks needing help often exceeds the trained volunteers available.

If you still have any issues with your computer after having followed the malware experts directions and having your machine declared "cleaned", please post back here on this forum and we will do our best to help.
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI