This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Malware has really knocked me out of commission

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Malware has really knocked me out of commission - Can't boot into Windows

I originally posted this in the Microsoft Windows forum but one of the helpers there said he (she) couldn't help because the problem was malware related and suggested I try to get help here.

Last month I had a RootKit and had networking and Google redirect problems:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Google_Redir…ng_t112432.html

Everything seemed clean and working fine on this 3.5 yr old Dell Desktop (XP SP3). A couple of days ago ,while using Internet Explorer, I got a windows BSOD out of nowhere while the computer was running. Multiple attempts to restart give me the same Blue Screen with a *** STOP: 0x0000007E error message.

Same thing with Safe Mode.

The Dell diagnostic hardware tests all pass – memory, processor, video card, hard drive etc.

I can access Recovery Console. Checkdsk and Fixboot don't help. Can't get into Windows (XPSP3). Can't run any scans as suggested.

I would appreciate it if someone can help me . Thanks in advance.

Eric
I didn't because of this warning: "Writing a new master boot record to your system partition could damage your partition tables and cause your partitions to become inaccessible." I didn't want to make things worse. Shall I give it a shot?

I didn't because of this warning:

"Writing a new master boot record to your system partition could damage your partition tables and cause your partitions to become inaccessible."

I didn't want to make things worse.

Shall I give it a shot?

I don't think you have anything to lose at this point.
If that doesn't work you're going to have to re-install / repair install the OS anyway.
I didn't use fixmbr because I didn't want to risk loosing my ability to use the Dell system restore partition. I was able to recover my important files useing Knoppix and returned my computer to factory state. Thanks for your advice anways. At least I will get a fresh start on a clean system. PayPal sent. Thanks again.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI