This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Malware has really knocked me out of commission

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Malware has really knocked me out of commission - Can't boot into Windows

Last month I had a RootKit and had networking and Google redirect problems:

http://forums.whatthetech.com/Google_Redir…ng_t112432.html

Everything seemed clean and working fine on this 3.5 yr old Dell Desktop (XP SP3). A couple of days ago ,while using Internet Explorer, I got a windows BSOD out of nowhere while the computer was running. Multiple attempts to restart give me the same Blue Screen with a *** STOP: 0x0000007E error message.

Same thing with Safe Mode.

The Dell diagnostic hardware tests all pass – memory, processor, video card, hard drive etc.

I can access Recovery Console. Checkdsk and Fixboot don't help. Can't get into Windows (XPSP3). Can't run any scans as suggested.

I would appreciate it if someone can help me . Thanks in advance.

Eric
Yup, thats most likely related to your rootkit. Someone in the malware removal forum may be able to assist you. If they aren't removed properly you can end up with the STOP 0x7E. Unfortunately, because it is probably malware related, I can't really touch it here.
I sent LDTate a PM asking if he was willing to reopen your malware thread. Maybe he can help. If not, it may be time to backup your data (there are several ways to do this with a non booting system) and reinstall XP.
Thanks Ztruker. I read the initial post too quickly and didn't realize that a malware thread was already pertaining to this problem.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI