This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Final act of desperation

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Around the beginning of November my computer caught a rather nasty bug. I only had Adaware and ZoneAlarm. I tried to manually remove it with no success. I basically had my computer shut off until around Christmas, when I installed the freshest McAfee off of the shelf. It helped, but not enough. For a while I thought it was fine, but trojans continued to be downloaded onto my computer every day. Adaware kept picking up the usual things. I installed SbyBot Search and Destroy. Every time I try to run it though, my computer restarts before it can finish. I've only successfully scanned my computer using it once, which actually did help too. But unless I have my computer on constant internet lockdown, my computer suffers from everything bad a terrible now, and I've done everything I can think of. Please help! My computer has popups, it freezes and restarts, and sometimes there are unfamiliar system tray icons.


Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:36:44 PM, on 2/2/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\MBackMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mclogsrv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mctskshd.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcusrmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6009\SAService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\McAfeeDataBackup.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic 5 Professional\PopupStopper.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee\VIRUSS~1\mcvsshld.exe
C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6009\SiteAdv.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Desktop\Hijack This\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee SiteAdvisor - {0BF43445-2F28-4351-9252-17FE6E806AA0} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6009\SiteAdv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IpWins] C:\Program Files\ipwins\ipwins.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PVModule] C:\PROGRA~1\PRINTV~1\pvmodule.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [McAfee Backup] C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\McAfeeDataBackup.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MBkLogOnHook] C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\LogOnHook.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DllRunning] rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsbdlcuw.dll",setvm
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [System Mechanic Popup Stopper] "C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic 5 Professional\PopupStopper.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [iolo Utility Bar] "C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic 5 Professional\SMUtilityBar.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{017B5048-A383-424D-9495-B4AAE712295D}: NameServer = 192.168.0.1
O17 - HKLM\System\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{017B5048-A383-424D-9495-B4AAE712295D}: NameServer = 192.168.0.1
O17 - HKLM\System\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{017B5048-A383-424D-9495-B4AAE712295D}: NameServer = 192.168.0.1
O18 - Protocol: livecall - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\MSGRAP~1.DLL
O18 - Protocol: siteadvisor - {3A5DC592-7723-4EAA-9EE6-AF4222BCF879} - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6009\SiteAdv.dll
O21 - SSODL: incestuously - {03413bf7-e34c-445b-bfc0-a2b127255871} - (no file)
O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj - {AAA288BA-9A4C-45B0-95D7-94D524869DB5} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\WPDShServiceObj.dll
O23 - Service: Canon Camera Access Library 8 (CCALib8) - Canon Inc. - C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
O23 - Service: COM+ Messages - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchosts.exe" -e mc-110-12-0000272 (file missing)
O23 - Service: McAfee E-mail Proxy (Emproxy) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\EmProxy\emproxy.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: MBackMonitor - - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MBK\MBackMonitor.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee HackerWatch Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\HackerWatch\HWAPI.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Log Manager (McLogManagerService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mclogsrv.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Update Manager (mcmispupdmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Network Agent (McNASvc) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\program files\common files\mcafee\mna\mcnasvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Scanner (McODS) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcods.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Protection Manager (mcpromgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcpromgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Redirector Service (McRedirector) - McAfee, Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\redirsvc\redirsvc.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Real-time Scanner (McShield) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SystemGuards (McSysmon) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\VIRUSS~1\mcsysmon.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (mctskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee User Manager (mcusrmgr) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\MSC\mcusrmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee\MPF\MPFSrv.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\Pacsptisvr.exe
O23 - Service: SiteAdvisor Service - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\SiteAdvisor\6009\SAService.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\Sptisrv.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Hello and welcome to the forum

Look in your control panels add/remove programs for any of these and uninstall them:

Oin
Yazzle by Oin
Purityscan by Oin
Snowballwars by Oin
or anything similar with Oin or Outerinfo in it.
Zolero
Tizzletalk
MediaTickets
Cowabanga
and any other programs you didn't install or don't recognize - if your not sure please ask first


Next……….

Download and run this uninstaller:
http://www.outerinfo.com/OiUninstaller.exe

Tutorial for the uninstaller if needed

—————

Next install MVPS HOSTS, please read more about what we are doing.

Download and unzip hosts.zip from HERE to a folder (hosts).

Here's a Tutorial on how to install it, but it's installed like this:

Open up the hosts folder and double-click on the mvps.bat file, it will rename your present HOSTS file to HOSTS.MVP, then it will copy the new HOSTS file to the correct location on your machine. It happens very quickly so don't blink!

——————-

Please note that a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) may slow down the machine. This only occurs in W2K and XP.

To fix this:Go to Start > Run (type) services.msc > OK
Scroll down to DNS Client, Right-click and select: Properties
Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
Select: Manual, click Apply/Ok and restart.
———————-

Reboot when done and……..

Download Combofix to your desktop.
Doubleclick combo.exe
Follow the prompts.
Don't click on the window while the fix is running, because that will cause your system to hang.

When finished, it should produce a log, combofix.txt.
Post this log in your next reply together with a new hijackthislog.

ComboFix will create a folder called QooBox in C: (C:\QooBox). It will contain any folders that were quarantined. When you are done you can delete this folder - QooBox.

Next………

Please download and install the 30 day trial version of AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 here:
http://www.ewido.net/en/download/

After it's installed…Check for updates:
Double click on the AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 icon in the system tray or on the desktop> this will bring up the main program if it's not already up.

On the Main Page click the Update Tab and then Start Update.
Download and install any updates if available.

Select the Scanner icon at the top of the screen, then select the Settings tab.
Once in the Settings screen click on Recommended actions and then select Quarantine.
Under Reports:
Select > Automatically generate report after every scan
Un-Select > Only if threats were found

Clean out temporary and TIF files. Go to Start > Run and type in the box: cleanmgr. Let it scan your system for files to remove. Make sure these 3 are checked and then press *ok* to remove:
  • Temporary Files
  • Temporary Internet Files
  • Recycle Bin
Now click the Scanner Icon on top
Click on Complete System Scan
Be patient - it takes a while to run.

Once the scan is complete do the following:
If you have any infections you will prompted, then select Apply All Actions

Next select the Reports icon at the top.
Copy and paste the scan report in your next reply.
Close AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5

Reboot and post a fresh HJT log, the log from Combo Fix and the log from AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5.
Hey, thanks for the great help so far! But, well, I've hit sort of a major snag… I was going through the list of things to do, everything was going just fine…until I came upon the part where I'm supposed to clean out my temporary files and my recycle bin. Before it could complete, my computer restarts itself. Nothing really new. I simply tried again. Again, my computer restarts itself. Only this time, something has SERIOSULY gone wrong. My computer boots up, and rather than going to the typical Windows loading screen it tells me that Windows could not start. It TELLS me that I can choose whether I want to start Windows normally, or to run my computer at the last known settings that worked, but I can't. Arrow keys don't work. Nothing works. I can't do anything at all other than watch a timer countdown to when Windows will start. I wait out the timer, optimistically thinking that windows will start normally. But instead my computer just reboots again. A never ending loop. I forced my computer to shut off and restarted it, thinking something might change, but nothing. Either way I freaked out, and now I'm currently posting this from my roommates computer. It could just be me being a moron by not hitting the right keys somehow. I'll retry in the morning and report. I can only think of 2 possible explanations. 1) I deleted the Qoobox folder immediately after, perhaps too hasty? 2)I selected to delete the old compressed files in the disc cleanup. Could either of those be why this is happening? Advice? I'm totally lost on this one, I'm riding on the fact that it'll magically start again in the morning, hahaha.

1) I deleted the Qoobox folder immediately after, perhaps too hasty? 2)I selected to delete the old compressed files in the disc cleanup. Could either of those be why this is happening?

My guess is #2.

Do you have your Windows OS CD?
When the PC starts can you start tapping the F8 key and try booting into Safe Mode?
Could attempting to delete the old compressed files really have done this to my computer? It says it's safe to do and I believe I've done it before. But then again, it WAS the last thing I did. Perhaps there was something bad rooted there. I'll just trust the expert on this one. I sadly do not have any windows software. My computer was a custom build and I sort of got screwed when the guy I knew as "my dad's guy" put an illegitimate copy of windows on my computer. Could that be part of why this is happening maybe? Pressing F8 only asked me if I wanted to boot from a cd or floppy. I forgot to mention that starting in Safe Mode was one of the options given in the list along with starting from the last known settings. However, I made SOME progress here though. My keyboard that I had been using was a ZBoard, so I tried plugging in my computer's origional keyboard and suddenly I could use the arrow keys again. But unfortunately, no matter which I picked (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Safe Mode with Networking, Last known good settings or start windows normally) they all just restart my computer and the loop never ends. The only thing that ever happens is when I chose Safe Mode, a list of system files runs down the screen just before it restarts. Is there anything I can do without the OS CD? Also, do you think that there would be any way to save the files on my computer? Some of them are very important to my future. I might be in denial over the fact that reformatting could be my only option.
You need to come up with a Windows XP CD somehow. Your PC is stuck in a loop because of legit Windows files are corrupt. There are ways of saving your files. 1. Put your hard in another PC and making it the slave drive. 2. With a windows CD, install windows in a new directory other then Windows, like Windows2. It will create the new Directory. Install in the new directory. When it boots it will show 2 windows directories to boot from. Choose windows2. Once it boots all your files should be there.
Oh thank god…there's hope for me yet This has been a rather trying ordeal, hahaha. It could be a little while before I get my hands on an XP cd, although I know where I can get one. Unfortunately I'm still a little confused, though. Sorry, haha. If I create a second directory, will it take up space? Will I then have to get rid of my first directory or somehow assimilate them together? I'm also wondering about upgrades; if I had to keep 2 XP directories, would I only be able to upgrade one of them? Or would I have to get rid of one in order to upgrade? I'm only really asking these questions out of curiosity, as I'm not really sure how it works. If I could, I would like to avoid reformatting my computer once I rescue all of my files in order to slim back down to a single directory. But then again, I just don't understand how directories really work. Again, thanks for the help

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI