This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

No sound. Please help

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Kind of a long tale. Sorry, but I need help. We got a virus the other day. I ended up having to do a system restore to clear it. After restore there was no sound. I thought that maybe some hardware gave up the ghost just by coincidence. I went and installed a new Sound Blaster card and some new speakers. All appeared to go according to instructions during install. Still no sound. I have since taken the SB back out and tried another system restore. About a half an hour after that restore was complete I started getting errors popping saying that the "Software you are trying to install does not meet Windows logo requirements" (or something like that) and that it was strongly recommended that I cancel the install. I wasn't trying to install anything when this happened! I got 4 messages like this in a row, and they referred to the following program items - WinMM WDM Audio Compatibility Driver Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer Microsoft Kernel Aucustic Echo Canceller These software drivers referred to a device called "MEDIA". I cancelled all the installs. Under the device manager my Sounds, Speech and Audio manager shows "No Audio Device". Everything in the menus is greyed out. The systems indicates that the various drivers are "Working Properly". Here is a list of the devices on my machine… ASUS CD-S480/AH HP DVD Writer 300n RealTek AC'97 Audio Audio Codes Legacy Audio Drivers Media Control Devices Legacy Video Capture Control Device Video Codecs Unknown Unknown Unknown Unknown Could these last 4 relate the programs listed above that I canceled? Can anyone make sense of this? Please help. Did a virus get all the way into my restore files and corrupt them? I am going to keep the new card and speakers because I want to upgrade anyway. I won't re-install them 'til I get the onboard system working though.
Hi,
Sorry to hear of the problem with your computer.

If you have managed to kill your virus infection, but have not flushed all previous Restore Points , (by turning it off and then turning it back on) and have subsequently used System Restore, you may well have put it back again!

It would be a good move I think to visit:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27

and post a HighJackThis log as you did a year or two ago, so that a trained malware removal specialist can check out your system and give you detailed specific removal advice and instructions.

Please DO NOT turn off System Restore, unless the malware expert asks you to, as a restore point, even with a virus infection, is often better than no Restore Point at all!

The experts on that forum sometimes get pretty snowed under with requests for help as you know, so if you can, please try and be patient, they will get round to you a soon as possible.

When your machine has been checked out and declared clean post back here and we will try to help get your sound installed correctly
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI