This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Quicktime 7.1.3 strange behavior

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Scan saved at 5:35:23 PM, on 1/15/2007 Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195) MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) This is my first post. I first dwnld'd QT 7 in Jan. 06 wanting to look at movie trailers. QT 6 would no longer work. At the time, it also downloaded iTunes (which I didn't want). I installed it and was unable to view the movie trailers then. Messed with it awhile, then gave up. Fast forward to a week ago when I wanted to watch the keynote address about iPhone over their site. I'm still unable to view any movie trailers on Apple's website using QT 7.1.3. I have been able to view some embedded QT content on other sites (which I think was written in earlier versions of QT), but Apple's site regularly crashes both IE and Firefox 1.5.0.9. I did the usual uninstall, search for Apple Computer, Quicktime, iTunes, etc and eliminated all I found. Then downloaded QT from Apples site, reinstalled, used both IE & FF to go to Apple movie trailers and wasn't able to view them. Same problem. I tweaked some settings in the browsers, no joy. I turned off ZoneAlarm Pro, no joy. Went to microsoft.support.com and downloaded all recent updates, fixes, patches, etc. Downloaded latest version of Java (JRE 5.0 update 10). Made sure I had latest versions of IE 6 & FF 1.5 (haven't updated FF to 2.0). When IE crashes, it pops up a window with an error report. It says "Quicktimeh264.qtx" is the file causing the problem. It also says something about a note written to an error log, but it doesn't tell me where this error log is. According to FF, the file NPQTPLUGIN.DLL is the QT 7 plug-in file necessary to watch .mov content. So I did numerous google searches, read apple's support areas, and FF's forums. I ran Spybot, after updating, and it found only Avenue A. Ran windoctor and it fixed several shared .dll errors. Downloaded MS malicious sw removal tool, it found nothing. Decided to remove Real player in case it was conflicting with QT . . no joy. Discovered I can't even play the sample movie inside the QT 7 folder. I did notice that info was being downloaded or streamed through my router, even though QT wouldn't play it. So I decided to go see where this was being stored. I went looking for content in a temp folder on my C drive. Found it saved as a .qtch file in local set\app data\apple\QT\downloads. While nosing around in Winnt\Installer\{929408E6-D265-4174-805F-81D1D914E2A4}, I found Quicktimeplayer_ico.exe. I right-clicked on Properties and clicked through the tabs. When I got to Program, it said the name of the file was Fuicktimeplayer_ico.exe! No kidding! It was 22kb and last modified on Jan. 19, 2006. On some webpage somewhere in all that I've looked at I remember seeing that earlier versions of QT had security problems or something So I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this file before. Searching for fuicktimeplayer_ico.exe on google turned up no hits. Perhaps this file is mal-ware? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Hi,

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having in watching the movie trailers.

You seem to have done so much work on this that it seems very unfair that the problem has not given in to your efforts and decided to co-operate with you!

You mention the possibility of malware so it would be a good idea to have a trained and experienced adviser "look" into the innermost workings of your computer to check if any undesirable elements are present.

If you go here:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27

a malware expert will examine your HiJackThis log (HJT) and thoroughly check out your system, providing detailed and specific cleaning advice and instructions, or if nothing is found, the reassuring words that "your log is clean"

If you have to wait a while for an expert to respond to you, if you can, try to be patient, they are in high demand and sometimes they get snowed under, as the folks needing detailed help and instructions, exceed the number of volunteer experts available.

Regards
paws
Thanks for the reply & suggestion. I dwnld'd a trial version of some AV sftwr after posting and let it examine the whole computer. It found 9 viruses, all from old email msgs I'd archived. They were mostly spoofs of ebay, paypal, credit card companies, etc. where the bugs were embedded within the page. I never click on those or open them, just delete them. . . actually if I deleted them then why were they detected? Hmmm . . . interesting. Why WERE they still around? I had the AV program specifically analyze the quicktimeplayer_ico.exe file and it said no problems. I also called Apple and they had no knowledge of this mangling of one of their files. I'm going to reinstall my browser as I haven't done that yet. I'll also post on apple's discussion site.
LDTate sugessted I reply to this forum again. He confirms that my system is free of bugs. To my knowledge, nothing was ever discovered that could be causing the problems with QT mentioned above. Here's the link to my post there: http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?show…c=75271&hl=

I haven't been able to view any QT content on apple.com or view any movie trailers, so the problem persists. I also not able to even view the sample movie located within the QT folder.

Apple tech help has been sympathetic, but unable to resolve the problem even after multiple calls. My best guess is that my old AMD K6III+ 450MHz confuser is not compatible or fast enough to handle QT7 content containing the h.264 codec. OR that some file/app/.dll/etc that QT7 relies on is damaged on my machine, but I don't know what it is. It doesn't hang up W2K, but it crashes FF & IE & QT7 itself.

So I'm stuck! Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? Perhaps a diagnostic utility like a debugger that would show what code is being executed and how far it got before it hung up?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI