This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Crazy CHKDSK

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I'm running XP Pro sp2 and have plenty of space on two partitions. My problem is that a CHKDSK scan on either drive takes about two hours. The scan slows right down on stage 4 of 5 while it's "verifying file data". It's been this slow for a couple of months and does not usually find any errors on the disk. The drive's a 40mb Maxtor. I've been to Maxtor's website and downloaded and ran the disk utility. The disk scan result is that, the disk is fine. Please help. Cheers Noi
Do you defrag often..? Are you running chkdsk yourself or is it running on its own..? If its running everytime you boot up then you have an issue some were. Are your IDE cables UDMA's ..(40 pin or 80 pin).?

Do you defrag often..? Are you running chkdsk yourself or is it running on its own..? If its running everytime you boot up then you have an issue some were. Are your IDE cables UDMA's ..(40 pin or 80 pin).?



Hi Tom

Yes, I defrag often, using diskeeper and I run CHKDSK myself. It only runs if I make it myself and I haven't had a problem in a while, so it hasn't auto-run on startup. My IDE cable is 80 pin, because the connector on the motherboard is blue and the middle/slave conecter is grey and the end/master device connecter is black.



Cheers

Noi

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI