This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer gone inSANE! Please HELP!

8 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Don't know if this is where I post this or not…. If not please let me know… Thank you in advance…….. Was checking for disk errors, fell asleep, electric went off… Computer has been INSANE ever since. Before windows opens now it want's to do a CHKDSK. :rant2: I'm always getting pop up window from bottom toolbar that says on everything I open that it is a corrupted file. My Antivirus totally shut down. Tryed to restore…. Will not restore and says it can not restore. Below is what I could get from the scanning disk thing before windows comes up Checking log file system on c: The type of the file system is NTFS. volume label is HP_PAVILLION. One of your disks needs to be checked may cancel the disk check, but it is???? that you continue. windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1) Deleted corrupt attributae list entry with type code 160 in file 9. Deleting corrupt attribute record from file record segment 17. File verification completed. Deleting orphan file record segment CHKDSK is verifying indexes(stage 2) Correcting error in index $II for ??? same thing Sorting index $SII in file 9 Then 10 minutes of same line with different number starting an index entry whith id 949 into index $SII of file 9 etc different numbers……. Always, Terri Lynne
Check Disk in XP: Set the order to boot from the CD Rom 1st and the Hard drive 2nd. Put your Windows CD in the tray, then "Exit with Saving" the settings (far right tab) 1. Boot with your windows CD It will take some time as the CD loads various files 2. Type R to Enter the Recovery Console 3. Enter the Administrator password (if there is one) otherwise press Enter 4. Type: chkdsk c: /r and press Enter <<
Well….. lol. I would do all that… but. I do not have a windows CD.. my computer came already loaded with no windows CD…..
OK.

You can still run CHKDSK C: /f to fix errors on your Disk.
Close all programs
goto –> Start - Run - (type)chkdsk C: /f

Note: this procedure is relatively safe and can be run periodically (Microsoft recommends to do so regularly as a routine) to insure proper Hard Disk functionality.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen…k.mspx?mfr=true

Note: If chkdsk C: /f "fixes" a location on your Hard Drive that is faulty due to being a "bad sector" or actual "physical" problem at that single location on the Hard Drive, it will save any recovered information for you to examine after chkdsk has run its course. To Be Honest, I have never even heard of anyone being able to make sense of the information saved by chkdsk from a "bad sector". The result will be that you will lose the data, information, or portion of a file that had been erroneously recorded on that "bad Sector".

In actual practice, this does not "create" any problems for you, since the data or file was "already" corrupted by virtue of being erroneously written to a "bad sector". You wouldn't have been able to retrieve it without some pretty high level techie magic.

(Alternative and Disclaimer)
I anticipate that some Members will "give me the raspberry" for making this recommendations, but there is an Excellent tool available to examine and repair Hard Disk surfaces, that is called "SpinRite" from http://www.grc.com. Lots of savvy Members may treat SteveGibson and GibsonResearchCo with a healthy amount of skepticism, mostly because of some of his rather far out speculations about trends with the internet, security, computer hardware, and such.
But the bottom-line, in my opinion, is that SpinRite is an excellent tool, even though it costs money, and may be a useful utility for you to consider buying for this and future maintenance.
OK, I've snapped out my towel and recovered from the "raspberries", so let's move on now.

With the native/embedded tools that Microsoft gives you…. go ahead and run chkdsk C: /f
Realize that this can take quite a while on large disks. It took me about an hour to do a 40gb hard drive just now.

Special Note: Since you purchsed your machine with a "pre-loaded" operating system, and received no physical CD for repair and installation, you should know —- You are entitled to contact the manufacturer of your machine and request the XP installation CD for your machine at a reasonable shipping and handling fee.

Last time I did this, it cost me $9.00 (us) and I got the disk in about a week.
I'd recommend that you and all others in this situation, contact your manufacturers and request the CD!
Next time you need it, you'll be glad you used your foresite.

Best Regards
Thanks for the info on the physical CD….. :) As for the CHKDSK C: /f I tried to run it…. but it came up saying it could not be run, ask if I wanted to run it next time windows started…. I entered Y then restarted…. It did not chkdsk.. Also I get a activeX Flash9.ocx error when playing flash games which I did not get before this problem first arose….. And should this problem be moved to HJT?? Thanks for all the help you are giving me…. :)
HJT Forum is specifically for Malware Removal. If you originally were trying to remove virus/spyware/trojan at the time of your power failure while running CHKDSK, then sure, post an HJT. Otherwise you're in the right Forum…. we just haven't found a good solution for you yet. From your post, I'm believing that the difficulty you are presenting here for problem-solving, began with a power failure during a run of chkdsk /f. We're you attempting to solve some other problem prior to that?
Please Run System File Checker to identify and replace any missing or corrupt operating system files. Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow Ordinarily SFC will call for the XP installation CD (which I know you don't have) Hopefully, you system will identify that you have a backup partition on your hard drive an try to reference from there. I don't believe that you've identified your Operating System and I don't see it in your Profile. Are You running XP? Is your XP upgraded to SP2? With regard to using Recovery Console and System File Checker, you can actually use "any" XP CD. So if you can borrow one from a friend, do so until you get your own from your manufacturer. Neither of the above procedures with require you to enter a Product Identification Number, but you should be able to find yours on the side, back or bottom of your computer tower. Best Regards
I'm sorry here is the info on the computer Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 HP Pavilion AMD Athlon 2.16 GHz, 448 MB of Ram I will look for a CD for XP but really don't know if I will be able to find one so far everyone I have ask has the same problem as me… NO actual CD… And yes everything was running fine (except for a small problem I had posted here awhile back that we couldn't find a soultion to, but it really didn't effect anything) until the electric went off while running maintance…… Always, Terri Lynne
Here is where I posted the small problem that we could not get fixed… just in case ya need to see it…. HijackThis Logs and Spyware/Malware Removal · Post Preview: #297910
:wavey: :oops: That thread was like the "annoying blank window" thread we've been working on, dough… I ran out of places to look, and things to try…. :scratch:
TerryLynne,

While you're trying to get your original XP installation disk from the manufacturer, go ahead and get the Windows XP CD from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

Bottom right hand corner of the page in the blue highlight.

What I'm hoping to accomplish is to enable you to use Recovery Console from the Installation CD to run Chkdsk /f to repair your Hard Drive.

Then we'll run SFC again.
'
That should get you to a point where you can save a backup of your important files and data.

We can then install Everest 2.20 and Belarc Advisor to get a listing of your required drivers.

If your system is still compromised at that point, we can use Recovery Console from your new CD to do a Repair installation.

Best Regards
Micah I thank you for trying….. :) Now while I was checking for a XP CD to use/borrow.. I went ahead and tryed to scan the disk for errors…… Well when that got done.. the computer restarted itself and I no longer get the chckdisk thing I was getting before….. actually….. I have had no corrupt files warnings pop up and and my anti virus is working again… Could it be a fluke and be fixed???? Well not fixed because it's still freezing up and closing down now when I play flash games.. Which has something to do with the ActiveX, Flash9.ocx error I keep getting… I went ahead and ordered the Windows XP CD from Microsoft. Just 3 bucks for shipping… cool…. I really do appreciate all you guys help….. so much so I guess I need to make another donations…… THANK YOU!!! Always, Terri Lynne
Might be of some help. Most newer HP and Compaq computers come with a restore partition, which means you have your windows disc just need to burn them off. Try looking in your start menu for something like HP Recovery CD-DVD Creator. If that don't work click on help on the start menu and do a search for Recovery CD-DVD Creator. Good Luck jeremy_smitty5

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI