This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Ever-changing Desktop

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My desktops change EVERYTIME I boot. I am using dual monitors off of one video card. I arrange my icons on one monitor or the other. After booting, sometimes the primary display changes from one monitor to the other and sometiimes the icons group themselves differently AND SOMETIMES the resolution changes. :angry: I have updated the videodrivers, updated and ran my two spyware programs along with my AV software. I have deleted all garbage files on my computer and defragged….None these have stopped the everchanging desktop. :wtf: I swear, I changed nothing on my machine at the time that this problem started happening. The machine is: P4 3g (OC about 3.3g) 2 g RAM NVIDIA 6600 MSI MB Win XP Pro The worst thing anyone can tell me is "I've never heard…" Anyone dying to give a direction to troubleshoot this issue? PLEASE!!!! Thanks!!
Roll your OC back to defaults and run it for a while. If the display problem disappears, you may have discovered the cause. I'm thinking this, since running two monitors puts more load on your Video Card, therefore on voltages, and central resources like CPU and RAM. Do you have a decent Power Supply in that machine?

Roll your OC back to defaults and run it for a while.
If the display problem disappears, you may have discovered the cause.

I'm thinking this, since running two monitors puts more load on your Video Card, therefore on voltages, and central resources like CPU and RAM.

Do you have a decent Power Supply in that machine?


I have had this machine OC'd since building it three years ago. Same video card….. Power supply is upper end. Everything on this machine is stout. (cooling, RAM, HDs, case, sound….)

I will consider your advice though… Maybe something is broken? It sure is an odd way to break.

Thanks.
Sounds like you know your stuff, and built a good machine. I was only guessing. And yes, stuff wears out and complains in the strangest of ways. But someone more knowledgeable may come by with the "magic bullet" fix. In which case, my suggestion was only a wrong guess. :P Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI