sspencer9
The current situation that I was finally able to run a COMPLETE HouseCall scan. It detailed several items it recommended I remove (which I did); others, which it said it could not remove for some reason or another.
I'm sorry to be vague but, after all this time, I was just thrilled to have gotten this far and neglected to take notes of all that happened with this scan.
When it was over, HouseCall recommended I conduct a second scan to be certain that it caught everything that might be lurking in the system. I clicked the button to okay a new scan and…that's right, it froze.
At this point, I'm ready to throw in the towel and go the route of a clean install.
HOWEVER, I would appreciate any advice and/or reference to any sites that explain, step-by-step what one should do before, during, and after a clean install of the system.
I am particularly interested in the best manner to back up files and some programs, which are not on CDs or easy to acquire from the Internet.
Finally, when I DO back-up my files and programs, how can I be certain that I am not also backing up a virus, trojan, or worm, as well? If it is possible to back-up one of these nasties, then it strikes me that I'm about to do a whole mess of work only to find myself in the same place when I'm finished. No?
I'm wondering about some of these new, online back-up services. If I can back-up to a remote location and their system can then scan those backed-up contents, maybe they will be able to locate what's lurking and where (assuming it is, in fact, a stray, contaminated file). What do you think?
I'm sorry to be vague but, after all this time, I was just thrilled to have gotten this far and neglected to take notes of all that happened with this scan.
When it was over, HouseCall recommended I conduct a second scan to be certain that it caught everything that might be lurking in the system. I clicked the button to okay a new scan and…that's right, it froze.
At this point, I'm ready to throw in the towel and go the route of a clean install.
HOWEVER, I would appreciate any advice and/or reference to any sites that explain, step-by-step what one should do before, during, and after a clean install of the system.
I am particularly interested in the best manner to back up files and some programs, which are not on CDs or easy to acquire from the Internet.
Finally, when I DO back-up my files and programs, how can I be certain that I am not also backing up a virus, trojan, or worm, as well? If it is possible to back-up one of these nasties, then it strikes me that I'm about to do a whole mess of work only to find myself in the same place when I'm finished. No?
I'm wondering about some of these new, online back-up services. If I can back-up to a remote location and their system can then scan those backed-up contents, maybe they will be able to locate what's lurking and where (assuming it is, in fact, a stray, contaminated file). What do you think?