This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Unread Messages On Start Screen

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I hate seeing unread mail messages on my start screen. I've done this before but don't remember they reg key to use, Someone that knows it help me out please???? Jeremy
Hi jeremy_smitty5,
Have you tried this…………..


If you just want to remove it for one user:

1. Log into the XP box with the user you want to change
2. Click Start and click Run
3. In the runbox type regedit and press ENTER
4. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail

5. Double-click on the dword MessageExpiryDays in the right column. If the dword is not there, create it.
6. Set the value to 0

If you want to remove the notification for all users:

1. Click Start -> run -> regedit (as noted above)
2. Navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail

3. Double-click on the dword MessageExpiryDays in the right column. If the dword is not there, create it.
4. Set the value to 0

Info from here………

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1601/xp_rem…om_login_screen

Hope this helps……..

Regards pacman123
Wait I'm having a little problem. I can't find the "UnreadMai"l on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", and when I find the right one, and I create the new dword, do I rename it "MessageExpiryDays" or leave it what is it HELP Jeremy

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI