I went to start a movie in powerdvd, all I get is a strip on either two sides of the window, with a black box in between. The movie was playing, and the audio was coming through just fine, but the black box wouldn't disappear. I forced it into fullscreen, and all i get is a black box.
I tried playing the dvd with interactual player, and it would work in the window form, but when i tried to switch to fullscreen, again i would get the black screen, and audio.
I then switched to used VLC player, and again i could get video in window form, but when i switched to fullscreen, i would still get black screen and audio.
I tried divx, and a program for my mp3 player, all with the same results. My tv tuner card program has the same issues.
Finally i tried winamp, and i can get window form, as well as fullscreen to work just fine.
Now this doesn't make any sense to me. The other night it was working just fine, but however now it is broken. I havent changed any settings, or installed anything new, or shut down/restart my computer at all so i can't see why the sudden change.
I tried to restart my computer, and still nothing has changed, i'm out of ideas.
Here are my specs:
Intel P4 3.4ghz
2.00 GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
Any help is greatly appreciated. thanks.
Hi,
This certainly is an odd thing, … but at least you can use winamp.
Why one programme should work fine whilst the others don't work well is a mystery but it could be that a codec has uninstalled itself.
It might be worthwhile to do a Sytem Restore to a date before the problem started to see if that will cure it.
Regards
paws
Thanks for the fast reply paws.
I thought of a system restore shortly after i posted, so i restored three days back, where i know i didn't have a problem. But i still have the same issue. I can't think of anything that could change my system like that.
Hi,
If you have the original installation disc for say Powerdvd it might be a good idea to uninstall the programme, Reboot, do a disc clean up, delete cache, temp files and, java cache prefetch and the like and then install it again. (After you have deleted your prefetch be prepared for your start up to be slightly slower the first one or two reboots until the prefetch repopulates itself.
I also just wonder if you have installed any Windows updates in the last few days and one of these has knocked out your players.
Anyway an uninstall and then reinstall might well fix it.
Regards
paws
Okay i tried all of that, and it still isn't working properly. I installed a different group of codes k-lite, and still the same problem. My next thing to try is video card drivers
Re-installed graphics drivers, still didn't do anything. I also tried to change some of the settings on my monitor, so see if maybe that was the issue, and it isn't.
I've noticed that if i drag the window to as big as i can make it, the movie still plays just fine, however its once i go into fullscreen on any player, but winamp, is where it gets fucked up.
Hi This gets curiouser and curiouser.
Can you drag out the screen to approx full size then close the programme (from the file menu) and then try to open the programme again and see if it has "remembered" the new window size.
Regards
paws
YAY i fixed it. I guess i changed the settings in counterstrike source with my veritcal sync, and it changed my vsync settings on my video card to allow application to set it blah blah blah. so i forced it off again on my nvidia control panel, and i can now go full screen.
thanks for all your help paws. it helps a bunch
Hi,
and Well done Farfig, I'm glad you are up and running again at full bore!
Thanks for posting the solution, I was really scratching my head over this one!
Regards
paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI