This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

With New Videocard films wont play well

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hallo there, I am asking for help and the reason its that I just installed a new videocard last Thursday and from that moment my clips and films wont play properly, when I play a film the colors are all wrong with a green or red background color and sometimes vertical lines will appear as well. The funny thing its that I found out that if I start a film with one videoplayer like Media Player Classic and at the same time i start the same film with another videoplayer like VLC then the film will be shown normally in the second videoplayer while in the first one the film will be shown very badly with the afore mentioned problems. Up until the change of the card I never any trouble watching any film or clip on my PC. And on last thing this problem only affects the films in the PC the films on Internet play without a problem. Any ideas? I have a Win XP, SP 3 Motherboard Asus P5WD2-Premium Videocard Asus EAH5570 with the latest catalyst driver for this card(ati8751_WinXP32) I use the latest Videolan player and/or the Media Player Classic to watch films All help will be thanked. Yabe
Hello Yabe, When you installed the new graphics card, did you uninstall the drivers that were already installed? Did you replace an existing graphics card? If so, what was the make and model of the older card? Have you tried using Windows Media Player to view videos? Did you install all the right codecs for your video files? Are you watching videos and clips from a DVD or are they saved as .AVI files? Cheers, Nahumi
Hallo Nahumi, thanks for your help. Lets see, first I did no uninstall the drivers from the Nvidia I had, I replace my old Nvidia 7600GT with this Asus Radeon EAH5570, the movies and clips are played from my PC directly and have diferent formats: avi, mp4, mpg, mpeg, etc. About the codecs, that might be it were it not that just a few days ago i could watch all of my movies and clips and now I can`t being the only change made to my PC the new videocard. But that said what codecs are nowadays use?
Okay, you will need to uninstall all display drivers.

Installing a graphics card from a different vendor and manufacturer without uninstalling the existing display drivers will always cause problems.


Please follow the steps below to reinstall the graphics card properly :

1. Please download an install Revo Uninstaller :http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-professional-version.php

2. Once installed, run Revo Uninstaller and look for any nVidia display drivers or additional nVidia software. Choose to do a "moderate search" after running the uninstaller. Delete any files that it finds.

3. Now look for the ATi Catalyst driver and uninstall that too. Again, do a "moderate search" to find any remnants of the driver. Delete any files that it finds.

(NOTE : If Revo Uninstaller comes up with any Registry entries, try not to delete them. Editing the registry can have undesired effects)

4. Restart your machine.

5. Let Windows install New Hardware Drivers automatically.

6. Re-install the most recent ATi Catalyst drivers.

7. Restart your PC and try watching your videos again.


Let me know if it works.
I wonder if the DVD decoder display utility got corrupted or uninstalled?

Don't know what you are using, but popular names include:

PowerDVD
Intervideo
WinDVD
CyberLink PowerDVD
(others)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s…n02april15.mspx

Most are premium (paid) utilities(about $14.95), but you would have received an installation CD when you bought your machine.

There is a FREE utility that adds DVD decoder capability to Windows Media player…
http://www.pchell.com/support/dvddecoder.shtml

These are just thoughts that occurred to me for your consideration.
Otherwise, please continue with Nahumi's excellent trouble-shooting and suggestions.

Best Regards

Okay, you will need to uninstall all display drivers.

Installing a graphics card from a different vendor and manufacturer without uninstalling the existing display drivers will always cause problems.


Please follow the steps below to reinstall the graphics card properly :

1. Please download an install Revo Uninstaller :http://www.revouninstaller.com/download-professional-version.php

2. Once installed, run Revo Uninstaller and look for any nVidia display drivers or additional nVidia software. Choose to do a "moderate search" after running the uninstaller. Delete any files that it finds.

3. Now look for the ATi Catalyst driver and uninstall that too. Again, do a "moderate search" to find any remnants of the driver. Delete any files that it finds.

(NOTE : If Revo Uninstaller comes up with any Registry entries, try not to delete them. Editing the registry can have undesired effects)

4. Restart your machine.

5. Let Windows install New Hardware Drivers automatically.

6. Re-install the most recent ATi Catalyst drivers.

7. Restart your PC and try watching your videos again.


Let me know if it works.



Ok, lets see, I did what you asked me to do, I installed the Revo Uninstaller program, tried to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and programs but I couldn`t it kept repeating that the un-installation of the Nvidia Ntune wouldn't `t be complete it was interrumped and it gave no reason for it. Further the Nvidia Drivers appeared to be de-installed but on the restart it would be still on the Revon Uninstaller.
What I did was erase everything Revon Uninstaller found and that includes registry things(before that I did a backup of the Registry) and finally it didn`t appear at the All Program Section of the Revon Uninstaller. So I have nothing more of Nvidia now at least it thats is what I think.
Anyway I remove the Ati drivers as well and restarted the PC and installed the Ati driver once again. So far so good. But the movies aren`t playing well, I say it again I play movies directly from my PC not from any DVD or CD. I tried to take/captured image of the problem but VLC capture image comes out with normal colors, I don`t understand it I see a screen where everything its green and this capture image its normal I mean the colors are normal. Well I did a little editing with it and tried to get a green color everywhere but it did not turn out as need it, but can get an idea of my problem.
I think it may have something to do with codecs or with Renderization but I am no expert.
Please keep helping me I want to watch my movies.
Another thing I still on time to give back this Asus Radeon back to the store in case that this problem persist. What do you think?

Yabe

I wonder if the DVD decoder display utility got corrupted or uninstalled?

Don't know what you are using, but popular names include:

PowerDVD
Intervideo
WinDVD
CyberLink PowerDVD
(others)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s…n02april15.mspx

Most are premium (paid) utilities(about $14.95), but you would have received an installation CD when you bought your machine.

There is a FREE utility that adds DVD decoder capability to Windows Media player…
http://www.pchell.com/support/dvddecoder.shtml

These are just thoughts that occurred to me for your consideration.
Otherwise, please continue with Nahumi's excellent trouble-shooting and suggestions.

Best Regards


Thanks for your thoughts the thing its that I play directly from the PC and not from any DVD also I use Videolan VLC Player to watch everything from clips to movies with any format from mpeg to avi.
I`ll going to look up your link and see what it can offer, thanks for the link.

After reading the page you suggested I found this "The VLC media player does not need a decoder to play DVDs, so its the best free solution for using a computer DVD player with no DVD decoder software." and as I could watch all my movies before installing this new card I still think this problem has something to do with this.
Cheers Yabe
I just found out that the programs of Nvidia still active in my PC. That its a surprise! Nvidia Control Panel, Stability Test, and Performance. How can I get them uninstall?

I just found out that the programs of Nvidia still active in my PC. That its a surprise! Nvidia Control Panel, Stability Test, and Performance. How can I get them uninstall?


how do you know they are still active on your pc??

anyway the instructions here might help you completely remove the nvidia drivers, :- http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=169555

:popcorn:

edit:- changed link.
He can probably still see the shortcuts in the Start Menu. With the registry entries deleted, none of the drivers or software should be working. But it certainly is advisable to follow the steps posted by terry1966, just to make sure that it's all gone.
Hallo, the shorcuts are still working and if I select one for instance the Nvidia control panel it Opens a window of Nvidia, thats why I know I still have Nvidia software installed in my PC. I am going to look at the link Terry1966 left for me. Be back as soon as I can. One more question please advice, should I bring back the Asus EAH5570 to the store? Thanks for all your help till dus far! Yabe
Just a quick thought from me, When you had the NVidia card, did you adjust any of the colour settings? Did you change the "Digital Vibrance" bar, or tick the "User NVIDIA Settings" for the colour management? It's possible that both sets of drivers, the NVidia and ATi ones, are trying to manage the colour settings of all video output. This might also be noticeable in games. Are any of your games showing any artifacts or discoloration?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI