Good afternoon Ladies and Gents,
I've recently acquired a new(ish) PC and wish to add the componants from this into my own. As far as I'm aware I can increase the RAM, hard drive capacity, Virtual memory, Memory, graphics card and a DVD RW at least by stripping these components from the PC. As you can tell from any of the above descriptions I may not be as computer literate as I'd hope.
Is this an easy process, will I need any new software… how can I go about doing it?
Im sorry if theres a lack of info here too, but any assistance or guidance will be very much appreciated. I can try to answer any questions you may have as we go.
Kind Regards,
Gary.
Interchanging components relies on the compatiability of the parts, in the case of the CDROM unit or Hard Drive this should present no problems, even in sata systems there is usually a spare IDE port. Things that will need thought are - Compatiablitlity of Memory, older memory may not match with newer memory. Graphics card can be swapped depending on the interface - PCIE or AGP.
Virtual memory is non expandable, its down to hard drive space… let me explain, once your normal internal memory has run out of room it then uses the hard drive to store items - this is what is know as virtual memory, your virtual memory will run low when the hard drive gets full.
What I would find out myself first is what type of memory you have, to do this you can run the crucial system scanner tool. Once you have run this tool - in the second box down - left hand side you will see it says "current installed memory" here it will show you the amount and type of memory and information about the memory ports. Please note that for the scan to run use only Internet Explorer as the tool will need to install a couple of active x components in order to run.
For finding out more information out about ports for the graphics card I would run SIW by Gabriel Topala This tool will show you a great deal of information about your computer.
Hope this is of help to you.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI