Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93093 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Add/Remove Accessories & Utilities

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 free

free

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hey, I was trying to free up space on my computer, and i accidentally removed the components of Acc & utilities. How can i restore this without the Windows XP Cd Rom, as i don't have this? Cheers Free

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

Open Recycle Bin and restore it?

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#3 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:09 PM

Open Recycle Bin and restore it?

I tried to do that with my life once. Nah, it never worked.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#4 free

free

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:10 AM

Hey Rich, I tried this, there are no documents in the recycling bin? Its for the Add/Remove components section in control panel not Add/Remove programs. You can add the component back, except it asks for my windows XP Cd which i dnt have. Is there any way of getting around this. Any suggestions?? Cheers free

#5 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

Do a System Restore to a date before you deleted it. Click on Start then type system restore. Click on System Restore at the top of the window.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#6 free

free

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 11:02 PM

Hey Rich, I tried to do a System Restore. It hasn't worked, im afraid that was the only system restore before i deleted the component. Are there any other options to try at this time. Cheers Free

#7 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:32 AM

Hi, Ok
Try this:
1 Click on Start
2 Click on Control Panel
3 click on "Add and Remove Programs" (double check you have clicked on the correct entry before proceeding) it MUST be "Add and Remove Programs"
4 Click on "Add or Remove Windows components"
5 Place a tick/checkmark in the white box to the left of "Accessories and Utilities" if there is already a tick /checkmark in there then remove it, close the Window exit from Control Panel and then open it again and put the tick/checkmark back
6 Click on Next
7 Follow on screen directions
8 When you have finished close down your machine ( a full close down not a sleep/hibernate/standby, wait 30 seconds (by the clock) with a blank black screen
9 Restart your machine.
Note in the event that you are asked to insert the Windows XP installation disc,( unlikely) but it could happen, (it depends on what steps you took to uninstall it in the first place) then its Ok for this purpose to borrow one from a chum and use that.

It's a bit worrying that you have only one "restore point" on your machine present before you deleted the component part of Windows...this usually indicates one of the following things:

1 You deleted the component some months ago and Windows has deleted the older restore points to make way for the new ones.
2 You have altered the default hard drive allocation capacity of your sytstem restore facililty from the default of 12.5% to a smaller amount and "overdone it" (not allowing sufficient space)
3 You have turned off system restore at some time thereby flushing your system restore points
4 There is a fault with your settings for system restore
5 Deeper seated problems with your Windows installation.

Let us know how you go
Regards
paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#8 free

free

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:48 AM

Hey Paws, I have followed all those steps before, but the main problem is that i can't get past the section where they ask for Windows xp cd. I don't have the cd unfortunately, so ow do i get past this?? As with the System Restore, i deleted system restore points in a disk cleanup to free up space on my pc a couple of days ago?? Anyways cheers Free

#9 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:56 AM

Try to borrow a XP disc.

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.

#10 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 02:08 AM

@free

Note in the event that you are asked to insert the Windows XP installation disc,( unlikely) but it could happen, (it depends on what steps you took to uninstall it in the first place) then its Ok for this purpose to borrow one from a chum and use that.

as suggested in my previous post!
Regards
paws

EDITED by paws: Thanks Lee, I really must learn to type a bit quicker!... :thumbup:

Edited by paws, 07 December 2010 - 02:10 AM.

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#11 free

free

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 06:02 AM

hey, okeydokey Thanks for that!