This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

repairing a motherboard

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

What leads you to believe that your MotherBoard "just stopped working". Possible, but far more likely that the following might crop up, resembling a catastrophic failure: RAM Memory errors Failed graphics adapter Failed Hard Drive Failed power supply unit __________________ If you have observed bulging or leaking capacitors or have loose fittings for RAM, PCI, AGP or other connectors, or other observable physical damage, then yes, you can conclude that the primary problem is faulty MotherBoard. And yes, capacitors and even component slots can be re-soldered if the tech is skillful and experienced. But once a tech breaks out the soldering pencil, the entry price is likely to the in the $120.00 range, begging the question of replacement v. repair.
As for the latter question: You remember that I sent a message about the guy who fixed it for 110 euros etc.? Well, this whole thing happened so that first there was some problems with the memory, then the computer just one day decided to give it's notice and die on me. I could never start it again. So, then I had it fixed; the rest you know.
110.00 Euros = $161.00 is within reasonable cost for replacement of a motherboard and graphics adapter.
And that your tech gave you another motherboard and graphics cards is an additional benefit.

EXCEPT…. the video card was not correctly configured with the proper driver from the very beginning.
(something your tech should have completed, in my opinion)

Now your machine doesn't Start at all ???
This causes me to wonder if:
  • There are additional problems (as from my list above)
  • The freshly installed motherboard and/or video graphics card were faulty
  • The installation of the motherboard and graphics card was not completed properly
  • For instance, The necessary chipset drivers were not installed

You mention the sequence of problems you had with your original equipment and then state:

So, then I had it fixed; the rest you know.


From your prior threads:
http://forums.whatthetech.com/XP_randomly_…lf_t104567.html
You had :
  • problems with RAM memory (maybe)
  • Problems with Drivers (maybe)
  • Problems with a faulty Hard Drive (maybe but may have been corrected with CHKDSK /r already)

Next your tech installed a new (old) motherboard, and a new (old) graphics card

Next you inquire about repairing a motherboard.

There must be a reason why you made this inquiry.
Something was going wrong.
Maybe even, your machine was no longer starting?

Please give us an overview of the "present" situation… what's not working?

Best Regards,

p.s. I admire that you are able to communicate with us English speakers so very well.
Please let me know if any of my communication leads to confusion or translation problems.
Right… I made a bit of a cock-up here. What I meant was that the present situation is the following: the pc works with this new "old" motherboard and whatever else he replaced in it. BUT it is still asking me to install this vga-compatible video card driver. So the graphics jump around a tad. The reason I am asking about fixing a motherboard, is that perhaps I could fix this, put it back and use the new replacements he put as additional parts for some older pcs of mine that aren't working at the present moment. Sorry for the confusion. As for the problem that made me get it fixed in the first place: the pc had IRQ and other problems, which I have posted here aeons ago. Then one day it just decided not to work. I would push the start button only to find it going "iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnn" and then making a "hurrrrr" sound, but ultimately not going further than that. Basically nothing happened. Oh, and thanks for the admiration. However, I feel obliged to point out, that where as I am not a native…. my dad is. HAHHA!!! Still, I've never lived anywhere else than Finland, so he is basically the only native influence that I've had. Still, being my father, he does have QUITE a bit of influence. Sorry for THAT mixup as well :smack:
Let's have a look at your Hardware.
Maybe we can find the vga-compatible driver.

Run the Hardware Scan and post the link.
http://www.d-a-l.com/hardwarescan/

Best Regards
The scan is not showing a video device, probably because the Chipset Drivers have not been installed.
(again, I've got to wonder about your Tech)

this is a fairly "obscure" mini ATX motherboard


Amethyst M Motherboard specs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen…product=1827248

The Drivers that you need are ATI RS482

HP Driver Downloads'
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen…product=1827248

If you cannot use HP's automated scan to identify the necessary chipset download, consider the following, which is ATI Chipset Drivers, when searched with your Pavillion 061 / amethyst M motherboard:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar…product=1843651

Please let us know if this gets the vga-compatible device installed.
Then we can move to identifying and installing the graphics adapter card you may have.
…. sigh. I dowloaded every thing I could from HP to no avail. I installed the ati driver pack, the ati driver from hp and neither worked. The former decided not to do anything after restarting the pc, the latter told me that the files have been extracted and that now I have to use the "update driver" thing. Well, I did this… again to no avail. I downloaded the demo of driver detective. Do you think I should buy it for 22€ or some such? It apparently locates old drivers from my pc and updates them. Oh, and for some reason I can't find my HP update thing in my pc. As for my tech, he couldn't install it because of my user password. I am going nuts here… would formating the pc do the trick?

As for my tech, he couldn't install it because of my user password.


This statement causes me to reconsider everything previously stated.

For instance, how would your login password survive the installation of a new Motherboard?
____________________________________

Let's review the basics.

Operating Systems query the machine's hardware as it finds and establishes relationship to the components that will do the computing work in answer to the instructions of the Operating System. This process occurs during Installation of the operating system.

From the exceptional quote and question above…

It almost sounds like the tech replaced the MotherBoard and added a graphics card….
And then simply connected up the old Hard Drive with the previous installation of Windows XP along with your existing password.
_______________________

It would be quite unusual for the machine to boot and run if the above were true.
And even if it did boot and run, it would be highly likely that errors would occur, particularly related to Drivers.
________________________

Please forgive me if I have totally misunderstood your meaning.

However, if the above happens to be the sequence of events, then the Hard Drive should be formatted and a fresh installation of Windows Operating System should be installed.

That will include freshly installing necessary Drivers and Operating System Service Packs and updates.

Please set me straight with my thinking so I can be of best help to you.

Doug
Oh my God…. I had a computer wise friend of mine here (unfortunately I didn't meet him until two days ago) and he said that the guy just reprogrammed the motherboard to use its own graphics card and what I have in my hand is the broken graphics card. He also placed a new memory. SO what we have here is a simple case of adding a new graphics card anymore… which will cost me about 30 € and then reprogramming it back. Man, what a mess. Sorry for all the mess here.
Depending upon what you wish to use your machine for, the "onboard graphic solution" (the motherboard's own video chip) may be sufficient and you could save the 30 lbs. You would be fine for internet browsing, office tasks, email, and probably ok for viewing online video and probably even DVD disk video (though you will need to install a DVD decoder or the updates to make MS Media Player compatible to DVD format). I would be reluctant to purchase an AGP graphics card for this new (old) mini-ATX form factor used motherboard. It is unlikely that you will be able to transfer the AGP card to any newer machine you purchase in the future. "If" you expect to be viewing videos and DVDs alot, or if you participate in quite a few lower demand games and MMRPGs, then an AGP card may help this machine be serviceable to you for a few more years. Glad you now have a more informed friend on site to offer assistance. We'll be around, in case you have further needs. Best Regards
yes, that is a fine video card and usually available at a reasonable price. Sorry, I had been referring to AGP, whereas your MoBo actually has PCI-e. You've made a correct selection. I was the one with his head in the sand. About $35.00 US. I don't know if NewEgg or TigerDirect will deliver to you in Europe, but their prices are generally good.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI