This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Shuts down when going into safe mode

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have reinstalled my computer a month ago.

SP2 and everything, but now as I tried doing into safe mode, It would get to the login screen and then shut down.

I booted the XP CD and repaired it, but I still have the same problem.

5 days ago I also ran
sfc /scannow
, I noticed that the progress meter wouldn't show up, but I just waited untill the procces was ended, and didn't bather more about it.

plz help







Unox
Hi, Your SFC scan automatically fixes any protected system files that are missing or corrupted so well done. You could try this alternative method of getting into safe mode. 1 Close all open programmes. 2 Click Start, Run and type: MSCONFIG 3 Click OK 4 The System Configuration Utility should appear 5 On the BOOT.INI tab, Tick/Check the "/SAFEBOOT" option 6 Click OK 7 Restart your computer when prompted. 8 Your computer should restart in Safe mode. 9 When you have finished with Safe mode, open MSCONFIG again, on the BOOT.INI tab, uncheck/remove tick from: "/SAFEBOOT" 10 Click OK to restart your computer. Regards paws
Hi, as you know I started repairing the computer with the boot disc, but now as it's set to go into safe mode, it won't continue, it's looping the hole proccess. It din't help to press F8 to boot in normal mode either, do I have to install xp over the old one AGAIN (did this a month ago you know ;) )
Hi Unox, I agree, this is maddening especially so soon after a reinstall. If this were my machine, I would back up everything, put the hard drive in another machine as a "slave" and then after putting it back in the original machine, do a complete reinstall. There is something obviously seriously wrong with your current set up and you should not need to keep reinstalling so it might therefore be worth deleting the existing partitions, creating new, reformatting (this will of course have the effect of wiping or destroying everything on your disc) and doing a complete reinstall of Windows. If you have a disc image taken just after a complete and clean install then it should not take longer than an hour at most. If you haven't got a disc image then make sure you do one this time! There are several free utilities to do this. I have used Acronis True Image V7 for some time now, (currently available free of charge from their website, ) it is easy, simple and quick to use and has the facility to make a bootable CD so your image can be restored even if you cannot boot into Windows. Regards paws PS do please make sure that you have copies/backups of all imortant info before you start, especially all your drivers! You will also need your application discs, Windows Product key and your windows installation disc
Hi again Paws

[offtopic] both of my two drives is partitioned, and I have a problem with this.

You see, I can only find one partition from each drive when I boot in dos, even in Knoppix, but not in my computer in windows, there they all are :blink: [/offtopic]

To back up 280gb on dvd/cds is :oops: , yeah :P



I think about spitting my 80gb drive in two, as I have now, and make the second partition a backup for the Windows partition.

Is this a good idea, or do you have better ideas?



EDIT:

even in Knoppix

I tried with BackTrack, I could find some more partitions, but of course I cannot write, I'll now go onto the other Linux distroes I have liyng around.
Didn't work with any of them :( Since I couldn't reinstall xp, I'm now installing Vista rc1 in hope that it will work
Hi Unox, I agree it's very odd that Windows can see your partitions when Linux can't (in my experience it's usually the other way round!) I would do this after copying backing up everything as before: Fdisk and delete all partitions. Create 3 new partitions and format as NTFS c: Boot partition, install Windows and all programmes. d: Data partition, My Documents etc e: Disc "image" backup partition Once you have installed your operating sytem, anti virus, firewall, applications and used Windows Update, deleted all unnecessary temp files and the like, defragged and your system is running swiftly and sweetly then take a disc image and put it on e: If you have an external USB hard drive, which I strongly recommend, you can copy your disc image files from e: to the external drive, keep them nice and safe in a directory/folder so you can easily find them. The rest of your external hard drive space can be used to back up some of your 280Gig of stuff (try and compress them a bit, even Win Zip will make a difference, although a dedicated backup programme will usually create smaller files for your back up. Regards paws
:scratch: Well, now I'm onto formating the disks. The fact is I've never merged a disk back after partitioning it, can you do it on the xp cd or do I have to something else? just before I format the disk I'll have to do something with the 200gb drive/disk too, because, I cannot find one of the partitions you know

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI