This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

screen still blank after restart in safemode

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have windows xp and tried to restart my computer in safe mode using the system configuration utility method, I restarted my computer but my screen has been blank for over an hour and I am not sure what to do. any help would be greatly appreciated.
what do you mean by reboot? can you post another instructional link? i tried turning my computer off than on and a scrambled picture comes on and off in quick bursts but remains black most of the time. thanks!
Hi marv43. Did you follow the link Tallin provided? It tells you exactly what to do to get to Safe Mode. Is this a desktop or laptop system? If desktop, please check the cables, both power and signal cable, make sure they are firmly seated (the signal cable at both ends, the display and the back of the computer). From your description, it's possible the video card has gone bad but more checking needs to be done to find out.

what do you mean by reboot?


"Booting" is the process of turning your computer on. "Re-booting" is restarting your computer. There may be fine differences, but in layman's term that's what it means.

Also, you should follow Talins first instructional link like Ztruker suggested. When receiving links, make sure to completely and fully read and perform everything suggested in it. Then make your next post.

Also make sure to follow Ztrukers setup check and answer his questions.

what do you mean by reboot? can you post another instructional link? i tried turning my computer off than on and a scrambled picture comes on and off in quick bursts but remains black most of the time.
thanks!

Sorry Marv43,

I should have said, restart….I have only just caught up with your reply, have been flying all day. I was on the other side of the country when I first replied to your post.

Please take Ztruker's advice and post back if things have not improved for you with detailed information. You can follow how in the link attached to my signature.

kind regards,
I really appriciate everyones help. This is a great forum!! I took you advice with checking the cables for my monitor and decided to try the standard cable instead of the avi cable and everything is working fine now. Possibly when in safe mode the avi cable is not supported? but anyway thanks again for the help!
Phew, I was thinking that you tried to boot into Safe Mode by using for instance MSConfig and now it would not boot in Safe Mode. This would mean that you would not be able to go back to Normal Mode because you still have that setting in your MSConfig. Conclusion: Always boot in Safe Mode like the link in Tallin's post said, not by changing a setting but by pressing F8 (or sometimes F5) at startup. Just thought I'd mention that for your own safety ;)
Greetings John B Excellent advice, I should have explained that myself. We do not want members booting into safe mode using the msconfig utility. Good to see you here and thank you for assisting in this busy side of WTT. kind regards,
When you said "avi cable" I think you meant "dvi cable" which is the digital connection between your computer and your display.

It should work in Safe Mode at the default VGA resolution of 640x480 and should not require a driver. The video card has to have the right driver loaded to run at other resolutions. I believe the video driver is not loaded in Safe Mode, specifically so that a messed up setting will not prevent you from booting to Safe Mode.

Shoulda/coulda … all nice words but in your case nada applies I guess :D

I'd like to run my Samsung SyncMaster 931B (19") LCD in digital mode but my video card doesn't have that capability and I'm too cheap to buy a new one.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI