This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Service Pack 3 Won't install- along w/ other sp2 security updates

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, you guys recently helped clean my system of a bunch of nasty browser redirecting spyware, but I've ran into another problem. For last month or so, there have been 3 windows security updates that try to install themselves upon every setup, and than fail. Also, windows xp sp3 tries to install itself once in a while too, but it says that it "cannot allocate space in a registry log." I ran CCleaner, cleaned out my download file in systemdistributions and disabled all my security stuff, but it still won't work. I think maybe the reason I'm so susceptible to all this spyware is because my security updates, along w/ sp3 not installing, is probably leaving my system vulnerable so I'd like to fix this. Thx ahead of time.
Hi the most common reaon for this is insufficient space on the boot partition of your hard drive You can check on this by: 1 Clicking on My Computer 2 Rightclick on C drive (assuming this is your boot drive) 3 Click on properties and you will see the amount of free space Ideally you should not have less than 25% of the disc free (although Windows and Windws Update will still operate with a lot less free space than this) Regards paws
I thought of that but my C drive is 78% free. :( On the other hand, my D drive has 476 mb remaining on a 8.75gb drive, but I don't think that would have anything to do with it, right?
Yes you are right….your D drive is probably a Recovery partition ( to restore your machine to "factory") If this is correct please dont use it until you have backed up everything that is important to you on your computer, checked it for accuracy and reproducibility and got at least one extra copy kept safe on Removable media..(ext hard drive and DVD(s) etc Regards paws
so no other ideas as to why my computer is being lame? I was thinking it might be spyware but we just finished cleaning all the spyware off of it, and I'm thinking the reason my computer is still going slow is because it's so out of date due to not being able to install updates.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI