This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Network

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Heres what I'm trying to do Make Windows ME 'see' Windows VISTA's networked printer. XP OS's in the house 'see' the printer over the network but so far nothing on the ME system ME does however detect the VISTA computer and can acess its shared files and folders, just not the printer. It also does the same on the Windows XP Operating Systems that have shared printers. Files and folders, just no printer. I cant seem to figure anything out. Google seems to be little to no use to my cause. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Well, the actual printer was atteched the laptop at one point, so its got the printer profile in there. As for it being shared correctly, I assume so, cause my two Windows XP machines detect the shared printer and can print just fine
Ok on the machine you have the printer hooked up to, go in to control panel and open printers and faxes… right click on the printer and choose properties… under the "sharing" tab click on the "additional drivers" button and read that. Then tell me what you think… or i mean.. by looking at that can you see now where the problem lies? (also I noticed you said "VISTA's networked printer" … you'll have to load legacy drivers for that.. lemme setup that cenario here on mine and see what I come up with. It may simply be a router setting..prolly just have to give the printer a static IP) Ok, I setup a virtual network with 3 VM's …2 of which are XP and the other is Vista (32bit fully licsensed version of Vista to by the way..that will make a difference) and its hosting the printer. On one of the XP boxes, simply open Printers and Faxes, in the left hand navigation menu, click on "add printer"..then choose to add a printer on a "network"…check the box to "browse"..find it/select it…. it will warn you to make sure the connection is trustworthy, then it will install it.. and your done.
Well as I understood it, you're setup isnt like mine. I've got a total of 4 computers. 1 has VISTA, 2 have XP, 1 has ME. The two with XP can detect and use the shared printer. Windows ME can detect the VISTA machine on the network as well as the files, just no printers. A side note to that: My ME machine also cannot detect my XP Machine's shared printer.
Ok so from the ME machine, in the control panel, open "Printers and Faxes". From there either click on "File" or find the "add new printer" option and choose it. Now from the Vista/XP machine (which ever one has the printer installed) if you follow the instructions I left to on how to get to "Sharing" you will see there that you are able to allow the installation of drivers onto a remote computer when one conntects to the printer. Enable that option for Windows ME. Now back to the ME box,Click to add a Network Printer… browse for it, select it and install it… you shouldnt have any problems if you follow that.
I followed your instructions exactly with no avial. When I try to add the printer, it says something to the effect of the printer being offline. I can choose to install it anyway, but I wont be able to use it. As for doing the driver sharing thingy my options were this: Itanium X64 X86 The 86 was checked already

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI