This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

suspect trojan multidropper

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello- I'm running Windows XP Media SP2 with a Netgear router/firewall, McAfee Firewall and Anti-virus, and Lavasoft Adwatch. Weekly I run McAfee VirusScan, Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D, Windows Defender and Ewido Anti-Malware. On October 19th my daughter got a dialog box during startup that had no text - just symbols and an "OK" button. The box wouldn't close by clicking the x in the upper right corner…. so she clicked on the "OK" button. The Windows XP logon screen appeared - but the desktop shortcut target file extensions had been modified to ".lnk" and the icons changed to generic (no file associated) except for Internet Explorer, Netgear Router and the Recycle bin. I was able to boot into "safe" mode by tapping the F8 key, and also saw the bogus dialog box. I ignored it and after several minutes the dialog box disappeared, and the Windows XP logon screen appeared. I tried to run Spybot as a first step in the precleaning process. Using the shortcut from the start menu results in "Windows cannot open this file: File: Spybot - Search and Destroy.lnk". I tried opening the Program Files folder to click on the SpybotSD.exe directly - nothing happens. I then tried using the Start>Run option - getting "Windows cannot open this file: File: SpybotSD.exe…" Unfortunately, I can't run HijackThis - "Windows cannot open this file…" I can't run any of the programs as they no longer are associated with an application. The last time I encountered anything like this was on a different computer in October 2005, and it was due to a multidropper trojan. McAfee had me boot into safe mode with a DOS prompt and run a scan from DOS that identified and deleted the trojan (4 instances). They couldn't provide any help in restoring my program files, and I wound up reformatting the hard drive and reloading the OS. I'm praying that you can help me avoid that, as I have the current computer connected via Ethernet to a Netgear wireless router that allows another computer to access the Internet as well. I can't even begin to imagine trying to get all of that set up again.
Welcome to the forum :wavey:

Let's give this a try.

Go to this link:

McAfee AVERT Tools

On that page is a link to Fixswen.inf

Save the fixswen.inf file to your desktop, on it and choose "Install".

Reboot.

Things looking better now?
:unsure:
Thank you, Micah. Unfortunately, this stinker is on to us. I saved fixswen.inf to my desktop, and chose "Install". I got a dialog box:

"Do you want to open this file?

Name: fixswen.inf

Publisher: Unknown Publisher

Type: Setup Information

From: C:\Documents and Settings\Linda\Desktop"

Button choices were "Open" or "Cancel". I picked "Open", and got another dialog box:

"Windows cannot open this file:

File: grpconv.exe

To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select it from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do?"

There are two radio buttons - "Use the Web service to find the appropriate program", or "Select the program from a list" . Following that are "OK" and "Cancel" buttons.
I'm assuming that anything I save to the desktop will be modified by the trojan…
Found it in C:\Program Files\HijackThis. renamed iexplore.exe. Won't run - "Windows cannot open this file: File: iexplore.exe To open this file Windows needs to know…"
:D Good good news! I tried the forum at the McAfee website to see if I could get a workaround to get the fixswen.inf to run. ciclope, from Portugal, responded by pointing me to two threads where the users also had their file associations modified in the registry. www.dougknox.com has a fix for Windows XP in a xp_exe_fix.reg file. When the Windows message comes up asking what file to use to open it, I selected C:\Windows\regedit.exe from the Browse list. Double-clicked on it again and said yes to adding the contents to my registry. Rebooted and my programs were again working, although the shortcuts were still nonfunctional. I could then get to system restore and set the system back to October 15. :wavey: I am so thrilled! My Cardinals took the World Series and I didn't have to reformat my hard drive! :wavey: Thank you, Micah. I would never have known there was anything that good on the McAfee site!
Thank you, Micah. I'll post one this evening or early tomorrow after I finish running the rest of the pre-cleaning steps (Spybot and Ad-Aware are completed in both safe and regular mode; Defender is running now, and I plan to finish with AVG Anti-malware and a Panda scan). The AVG 7.5 interferes something awful with Ad-Watch, although not with Ad-Aware SE itself. Ad-Watch goes nuts when both are enabled and continuously logs registry changes from AVG. I think I can live without the Ad-Watch continuous feature - Ewido was a pretty good program and I think the AVG 7.5 is probably something I should have going forward.
Micah-Here's my HijackThis log:
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:11:02 PM, on 10/29/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PRISMSVR.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~3\MMDiag.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsescn.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 962\dlbxmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mim.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Photo Album 6\MediaDetect.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM\Binn\sqlservr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsftsn.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell Wireless\PRISMCFG.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlbxcoms.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgbhp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://mysearch.myway.com/jsp/dellsidebar.jsp?p=DE
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://192.168.100.1/phone.html
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {4D25F926-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\deSrcAs.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: McBrwHelper Class - {227B8AA8-DAF2-4892-BD1D-73F568BCB24E} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\mcbrhlpr.dll
O2 - BHO: McAfee PopupKiller - {3EC8255F-E043-4cae-8B3B-B191550C2A22} - c:\program files\mcafee.com\mps\popupkiller.dll
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\dlprotect.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4D25F921-B9FE-4682-BF72-8AB8210D6D75} - C:\Program Files\MyWaySA\SrchAsDe\deSrcAs.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\isuspm.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MimBoot] C:\PROGRA~1\MUSICM~1\MUSICM~3\mimboot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\VSO\mcmnhdlr.exe" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OASClnt] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\oasclnt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\McUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\VSO\mcvsshld.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPFExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dlbxmon.exe] "C:\Program Files\Dell Photo AIO Printer 962\dlbxmon.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DLBXCATS] rundll32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\DLBXtime.dll,_RunDLLEntry@16
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dla] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswctrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MPSExe] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\mps\mscifapp.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKDetectorExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MSKDetct.exe /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSKAgentEXE] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee\SPAMKI~1\MskAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] "C:\Program Files\Musicmatch\Musicmatch Jukebox\mm_tray.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Corel Photo Downloader] C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Photo Album 6\MediaDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [DellSupport] "C:\Program Files\Dell Support\DSAgnt.exe" /startup
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Wireless USB 2.0 WLAN Card Utility.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_09\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {406B5949-7190-4245-91A9-30A17DE16AD0} (Snapfish Activia) - http://www1.snapfish.com/SnapfishActivia.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5free/asinst.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxdev.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: dlbx_device - Dell - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlbxcoms.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee WSC Integration (McDetect.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\program files\mcafee.com\agent\mcdetect.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee.com McShield (McShield) - McAfee Inc. - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Task Scheduler (McTskshd.exe) - McAfee, Inc - c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mctskshd.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee SecurityCenter Update Manager (mcupdmgr.exe) - McAfee, Inc - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\mcupdmgr.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Personal Firewall Service (MpfService) - McAfee Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\PERSON~1\MpfService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe

Thank you!
This topic is now closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please request this by sending an email to us at the following link

(Click for address)
Include your post user name and detail why you need it reopened with a valid link to your post.
Any bad links or emails that are not from the original poster will be deleted without response.
Any emails without the subject "Reopen" will be deleted without being looked at.

If this is not your thread please start a New Topic.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI