This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Help Files Problems!?

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Running FlashFXP. I try to call up it's help file, but a dialog box appears with a message to the effect that the associated help file can't be found, and the program should be reinstalled. However, the associated help file IS in the FlashFXP directory where the program says it's missing!!?? The help file can be opened manually, BTW.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling FlashFXP several times, but I continue to get the dialog box appearing instead of the help file!? Registry problems??

Paint Shop Pro, versions 9 and later. When closing help files (no problems opening the help files), the corresponding program crashes and exits, and I get the Send/Don't Send error message dialog box appearing!?
Paint Shop Pro version 7 seems to work OK, but there seems to be a problem with the later versions of PSP!?

I suspected some sort of virus, or trojan etc, so I ran several antivirus and antispyware scanners. They picked up a few relatively minor infections, but I continue to have the help file problems!

Been having these help file problems for awhile now. Many other program help files seem to work OK.

Currently running Windows XP Pro SP2, with the latest version of Internet Explorer (V7 final) which was installed a couple of days ago.

Another possibility, is that the problems seemed to start occurring approximately around the time I installed SP2, and/or Internet Explorer V7 beta. This may or may not have anything to do with the help file problems??

Any ideas, please?

Thanks.
Here's some information that (is not specific you the applications you mention) but might give you an idea of what kind of problem might be happening:

From: http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330621.html

Background information

By default, Windows XP Service Pack 2 blocks frames in HTML files as a security precaution, even in files stored locally on the computer, such as the HTML Help files used by most Adobe applications. The Adobe Help files pose no security risk. This problem occurs in all Adobe applications under Windows XP with Service Pack 2, except for those that don't use a browser to display Help files. The Adobe Acrobat family of products (including Acrobat Capture, Adobe Acrobat, and Acrobat server products) aren't affected by this issue.



So…… With the help files for your FlashFXP and Paint Shop Pro, versions 9 and later, are they displayed via Internet Explorer?


You mention IE version 7 beta. A newer version of IE 7 is available as RC1 (release candidate 1) which may have resolved this issure……. Or you could roll back to IE 6.0 as many folks have done.

Best Regards
Thanks for your detailed reply! The help files are not displayed via Internet Explorer window. The help files are compiled (*.chm), and open independently of IE (I believe). I was told (elsewhere) that the help files still require some connection with IE in order to work(?). However, I have doubts about that! Anyway, I have rolled back my system to Internet Explorer V6, and XP Pro SP1. Good news is that Paint Shop Pro help file seems to work OK, with no crashes (so far). Bad news is that FlashFXP help file still does not appear when requested (except by clicking on the compiled help file directly)!!?? I've tried earlier and the latest versions of FlashFXP, but I still continue to have problem opening the help file! I've run several anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, but despite finding a few minor "infections", the problem still remains. Might try running a few other anti-**** programs, and see if they come up with anything. In the meantime, it is still a mystery as to why FlashFXP help file does not open (correctly)?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI