This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

For Tallin

9 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi Tallin,
I'm starting a New Topic, so that your question and the replies you may get for resolution do not get lost at the end of another person's thread.

You asked:

Hi Doug,
I was following this thread doing just what you were advising but have run into troube. I also was running Java runtime Envirionment 1.5.0_6 although I have Java update automatically enabled. I followed your instructions, uninstalled through Add and Remove, downloaded (JRE) 5.0 update 9 however it says it will not install due to "The installer cannot proceed with the current Internet Connections proxy settings - Please check the installation notes for more info"? I don't know what that means -

At this time I have no Java at all due to uninstalling the above.
Where have I made a mistake. Would be grateful of a fast reply to my problem.
Best regards


I always recommend "Download and Save" the current updated version of JAVA Runtime Environment, instead of using the Online Installation option.

use this link for the latest version Download:
Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9 released
- http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
(Look for "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9", about midway down the page amongst other downloads on that page)

Here ya go from Sun Jave but use the link above for the latest version:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/connect_proxy.xml

Installation error: "Cannot Proceed with current Internet proxy settings"

This article applies to:
Platform(s):
Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 (SP4+), Windows XP (SP1 SP2), Windows 2003
JRE version(s):
1.4.2_xx, 1.5.0

SYMPTOMS

During Java Runtime Environment (JRE) installation, a security warning message box appears with the following message:

The installer cannot proceed with the current Internet Connection proxy settings. Please check the Installation Notes for more Information.

CAUSE

There are two possible reasons why you are experiencing this error:

Currently, the online installation program does not support authenticated proxy. If you are behind an authenticated proxy server, you will get this error message.


You will get this error if you require a proxy server and the proxy server information has not been specified in your Internet Options.

SOLUTION

There are two solutions. You can use Windows Offline installation or you can specify the proxy server information in your Internet Options.

Windows Offline installation:

The Offline installation program contains all the files you need. Please go to the JRE manual download page and click on Windows Offline Installation to download the file.

When prompted, please choose "Save" in the download dialog box, and save the download package in a convenient place (e.g. save on the desktop). Do NOT choose "Open". Double click on the downloaded installation file to start the installation process.

Specify proxy server information:

From the Start button, click Settings > Control Panel
In the Control Panel, double click on the Internet Options Control Panel
Click the LAN Settings button
Under the "Proxy server" section, check the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" box
Enter the name of your proxy server in the Address field and the port number in the Port field.
If you use different proxy servers for different protocols, click the Advanced button and enter the information in the appropriate fields. Please refer to the example below.
Click on OK to accept the change as shown in the example above.



Best Regards
:) Doug, I really appreciate all that information, but for the present I have done a system restore and J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 update 6 is back in Add and Remove. This is the first time I have ever done a System Restore and it seems to have worked like a dream. I did save (JRE) 5.0 update 9 update to the desktop. (I always do save all downloads to the desktop) You wouldn't believe that during typing this to you I remembered I keep all downloads in my Recent Downloads file, and sure enough there was J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 update 6. I could not find this with Google before panicing and wriiting to you. As mentioned in my post the reasons why (JRE) 5.0 update 9 update would not install, however I will do the Off line installation as I saw that along with the online one but did not think I would have a proxy problem. I am loathe to change anything regarding my internet connection at this time. Question: Why when I have automatic update enabled in Java I did not have the latest update? I just tried to check through start/settings/java/ but java will not open or let me check its settings. As mentioned in Add and Remove the J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 update 6 is back after system restore. Many thanks again for your speedy reply.
Hi Tallin, Many/Most people have the same experience with using the supposed auto-updating JRE or even the Update function in Java Control Panel. I've simply stopped using the auto-update and Java Control Panel Updater for that reason. If you Google for JAVA Updates, you will find "several" different websites for the purpose. You will also find that the different Sun JAVA download sites offer "different versions." Hmmmm! :huh: The Link that I gave you is the "most up-to-date" and is the one that is featured by the senior experts at most of the reputable help sites similar to TomCoyote. The topic gets discussed from time to time, but I haven't seen a definitive answer as yet. Best Practice: Uninstall old version prior to installing New Version. Download and Save the New Version. Log-off from the internet. Close all applications and windows. Install the new JRE while off-line. As to your System Restore…….. Nice to have had that positive experience, I'll bet! :) So why won't that older version of JRE let you get to its Control Panel??? Well, probably because you uninstalled it. The "Restore Point" has references to "where" and "what" you had running, but not necessarily an entire "ghost copy" of everything. So it may be "pointing" to where JRE is supposed to be, but some or all of JRE is missing because you uninstalled the program itself. Best Regards, Doug
"So why won't that older version of JRE let you get to its Control Panel??? Well, probably because you uninstalled it. The "Restore Point" has references to "where" and "what" you had running, but not necessarily an entire "ghost copy" of everything. So it may be "pointing" to where JRE is supposed to be, but some or all of JRE is missing because you uninstalled the program itself. Best Regards, Doug" So when I install the offline latest version, do you think I will get Java back in start/settings/java? If I don't how will I turn off "enable automatic updates" and from time to time check what version I have other than in Add and Remove? I will be writing to you privately after I do another job today, in the meantime thanks so much once again for your help as always I am out of trouble once again. I will not however download the latest Java off line until I hear back from you about the above question. best regards, PS. I don't seem to be able to successfully use the +quote feature here, would you tell me how please. soooooooooooooory
First Use Add/Remove to remove references to your older version. Add/Remove may actually run and may find JRE to uninstall. But it might also "not find" JRE and give you a "worry screen" saying "there seems to be a problem or that the JRE has already been uninstalled…. Do you want to remove reference to JRE from ADD/Remove?" I really don't know which way it will go, but either will be OK. Next: Go to C:\Program Files\JAVA There you will see "Folder(s)" for JAVA version(s) that have been installed. Highlight them all and use the Delete function. There…. All gone now. Now close everything else and install your updated version. As for the JRE "auto-updater" you can "disable" that one in MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab) by removing its checkmark. Best Regards p.s. About the "Quote" function. I never use the "Quote" button that appears directly on the Forum Boards. I wish they'd remove it actually. It gets "way" over-used, with the result of mostly newer Members adding Quotes of the entire previous post, when it was not necessary to do so. I generally only wish to "Quote" a smaller portion of what the Member has typed. So……..Instead, I use Highlight/Copy/Paste — as you appear to have done. But then I Highlight the Pasted text and use the "Quote" function in the Reply window where I type my Reply. The "wrap-in-Quotes" function Icon is next to the last on the right and is a darker blue color with gold quotation marks in it. Hope that helps. Doug
"First Use Add/Remove to remove references to your older version. Add/Remove may actually run and may find JRE to uninstall. But it might also "not find" JRE and give you a "worry screen" saying "there seems to be a problem or that the JRE has already been uninstalled…. Do you want to remove reference to JRE from ADD/Remove?" In 'Add and Remove' there is JESE Runtime Environment 5.0 update 6 installed. This was the one I uninstalled at the beginning when following your thread helping 'Beuning'. Due to a Systems Restore it is now back in Add and Remove. What you are asking me to do is uninstall it, then go to programs files/java and delete the three folders namely: j2rel.4.2_03 j2rel.4.2_06 j2e1.5.0_06 Then go off line and install the latest version 'Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9~~~~~~Yes? Regarding stopping auto updates in start.msconfig/services/ I have so few services running these days and nothing beginning with J, so what would be the abbreviation in Services for it? I think it maybe your bedtime now, if it is don't worry about replying - I just looked at the world clock and guess it may only be 5.58pm however? regards.

What you are asking me to do is uninstall it, then go to programs files/java and delete the three folders namely:
j2rel.4.2_03
j2rel.4.2_06
j2e1.5.0_06

Then go off line and install the latest version 'Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9~~~~~~Yes?


Yes.

Regarding stopping auto updates in start.msconfig/services/

JAVA Updater IS NOT A SERVICE !!!!
CAUTION: Disabling SERVICES needs a bit more care than just "disabling" applications and processes in StartUp.

JAVA Updater appears in StartUp(tab)
as:
Jusched — C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.4.2_12\bin\jusched.exe

Best Regards
Sorry mis-read, no harm done except a good lesson learned. In msconfig/startuptab I only have four things running and they are: avgemc avgcc ctfmon Winpatrol So the only way I could disable Java Auto Updates will be if when I install 'Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9' Java returns in start/settings/java~~~~~~~~~~~right? Have to go out now for half an hour, but will do the uninstal of the old version and go to Program files/java/delete folders, then go off line and install Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9 as soon as I get back Thanks once again, with all the best to you
Yep. "Jusched" will probably "re-appear" in your StartUp list when you install JRE again. Are you running with only the Windows XP Firewall? Lots of people run that way, but you only get one-way Firewall protection. I generally run the (free) version of Zone Alarm, but Kerio, Sygate, and others, also offer good free versions. Best Regards
"Are you running with only the Windows XP Firewall?" No, have had Zone Alarm version 6.5.737.000 for ages. I realise it does not start when I boot up, so will put it in start/msconfig/startup now……………done. Thanks
:P All done - Java up to date, also back in start/settings……….. A successful conclusion, with thanks

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI