This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

my dad's poor hosed system, spyware removal wizard, ultimate defen

15 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Good Job


Log looks good :D :thumbup: How is it running any issues?



1.Do one of the following:
In Windows 98/Me/2000, on the Windows desktop, double-click the My Computer icon.
In Windows XP, on the taskbar, click Start > My Computer.

2.Do one of the following:
In Windows 98, on the View menu, click Folder Options.
In Windows Me/2000/XP, on the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
On the View tab, check Hide file extensions for known file types.

3.Do one of the following:
In Windows 98, in the Advanced Settings box, under the "Hidden files" folder, unclick Show all files.
In Windows Me/2000/XP, check Hide protected operating system files. Then, under the "Hidden files" folder, unclick Show hidden files and folders.
If you see a warning message, click Yes.
Click Apply.
Click OK.



If you dont have these three programs I would recommend that you get them. Spywareblaster, Spywareguard and IESPY AD. They will add 1000's of sites to your resticted zone and block some hijacks from happening. I also have a FREE FIREWALL and FREE ANTI VIRUS if you need one.

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system.

Keep your system up to date and run Adaware & Spybot, once a week works, and hopefully you will be ok from here on. Both are available below.

Safe Surfing. :D

I would also suggest you read this:
So how did I get infected in the first place?
by Tony Klein
Thanks again. I went back and re-hid all the OS files and the like…. had undid that in searching for that last pesky DLL file…. I have him setup with Spybot S&D, which is what I use at home. I will look into those other pieces of software as so far I had only set him up with AV and the S&D. I showed him how to run it once a week. I'm not sure how he got the original infection, but when I showed him the pop-up windows (spyware removal alert) he said "well it said I had spyware so I let it install something to check for what it was". Not a smart move as that was installing worse stuff. It then told him he had a virus and needed to install something else, which he did. Now, he was smart enough to not register the software when it asked. I told him in the future just to click the 'x' in the upper right rather than clicking anything in the active window. The system is running fine now, much better than before. ….tomorrow is my brother's wedding then back to FL for us…. thanks again. Louie
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI