This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer no longer recognises blank discs

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Everything with the microsoft article seems to be fine, there's a recording tab (on one of them, which I assume is all that matters), and I tried the low (even lowest) settings, no difference. As regards to the obvious, how would I know the Drive is properly connected? Presumably the fact I can play normal CDs/DVDs on it, proves that it is. I'll have to take a look around I suppose. Maybe even updating windows would help? :S
Run a PCPitstop Full Test at http://www.pcpitstop.com
Post the "TechExpress" link to your Test Results back here in this Forum.
Maybe there is something else influencing your difficulty that can be picked up.

__________________

Also download and run Everest 2.20
Everest will give you a printout of your Hardware and temp/electrical status.
You can get Everest 2.20 (free) here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

To view Voltages and Temperatures:
View - Sensors

Create a "Quick Report" (of the temps & voltages) so that you can post that information back into this Forum thread at the same time you post your PCPitstop Full Test "TechExpress".

Both are free and safe.

Best Regards
Ok, here's the techexpress link:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=9EASFWKDSFWSDSAC

Now I got Everest, but there was no "sensors" option in the view column, unless you meant somewhere else, though I couldn't find another "view". I did a report though, but it was so long I'm not sure I could post it all here. I found "Sensor" in "Computer" though (in Everest I mean), right-clicked and did a quick report, so I can post that maybe?
Sensor Properties: Sensor Type Winbond W83697HF (ISA 290h) Motherboard Name Asus A7V8X Temperatures: Motherboard 35 °C (95 °F) CPU 58 °C (136 °F) Maxtor 6Y080L0 45 °C (113 °F) Maxtor 6E040L0 46 °C (115 °F) Cooling Fans: Power Supply 4018 RPM Voltage Values: CPU Core 1.71 V Aux 0.06 V +3.3 V 3.30 V +5 V 4.95 V +12 V 11.17 V -12 V 1.07 V +5 V Standby 4.90 V VBAT Battery 3.22 V Debug Info F FF 54 FF Debug Info T 35 58 255 Debug Info V 6B 04 CE B8 C3 C3 FF (01) Not sure if that helps? Could any of the other quick reports help, it seems to show a lot of info that I otherwise couldn't give you.
Ok I've tried searching for everything, entered the names of the drives that I know of (Maxtor 6E040L0, Maxtor 6Y080L0, HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR 8523B, SONY CD-RW CRX320E) and I can't find anything specific :( I will obviously keep looking, but this is ridiculous now, surely there must be an answer somewhere. I wondered if I could update them, but I don't really know what I'm looking for :(
There are some "basics" showing that can interfere/defeat your computers correct functioning.
In the Pit Test, you will have seen a list of applications and processes that are Running from the moment you boot up your machine.

Since DVD/CD "writing" requires so much in the way of CPU and RAM, anything that limits or detracts from the resources that you have in your machine, will frustrate "burning" and maybe cause it to fail.

Your machine is getting "bogged down"
Issues:
1. Heat
2. Power Supply
3. excess background programs running
4. Disk fragmentation

Order of Fixes:

1.
Turn off the machine. Open it up and blow out the dust bunnies with a can of compressed air.
While your machine is open, turn it back on briefly to assure that all the fans are spinning freely.

2. Turn off various unneeded background and auto-updaters

Turn off "Page Transitions"
Turn off "automatic image resize"

Disable the following in MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab)

AOL Tray Icon America Online, Inc. C:\Program Files\AOL 8.0\aoltray.exe
MouseWare Driver Logitech Inc. C:\Program Files\Logitech\MouseWare\system\em_exec.exe
Apple iTunes Apple Computer, Inc. C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
QuickTime Icon Apple Computer, Inc. C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
Office XP speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
NVIDIA driver helper NVIDIA Corporation C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
SoundMax features Analog Devices, Inc. C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\SoundMAX\SMAgent.exe
Debugger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
MSN Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
MSN Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
Spyware Doctor Helper PC Tools Research Pty Ltd C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe
iPod Service Apple Computer, Inc. C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
Spyware Doctor PC Tools Research Pty Ltd C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe



Seriously consider Uninstalling your Norton Products (completely) and download/install AVG (Free) & ZoneAlarm (Free)

3. Reboot to SAFE Mode
– Run Disk Defragmenter

Now Run and Post another PCPitstop Full Test (fresh techexpress posted back here in this Forum)

Download ASUS Probe.
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/ASUS_…be/1053033598/1

Run it and make a report of Temps and Voltages
Run Everest and make a quick report of Temps and Voltages,

Post BOTH in your next reply in addition to the fresh TechExpress.

We'll have a better picture of your PSU's influence on machine performance after the above items are addressed.

Best Regards
I'm in the process of doing some of this, I took my computer apart and while I had no "can of compressed air" (had to improvise), I certainly cleaned some stuff up. Anyway, no luck. But what I did notice was a cable inside that wasn't plugged in. I looked EVERYWHERE for a place it would fit and couldn't find it at all, so I just assumed it wasn't plugged in in the first place. But I don't know…
There are generally "extra" power supply connectors available that may appear to be just dangling for no apparent reason. They are there for use by the owner if/when new hardware is installed. As to "cables" not being plugged in ??? That is much less likely. While it may be just that… extra, a bit more information might help someone here identify what it is. Occasionally you may find a small cable of 4 wires, either twisted together of cased together. It would have a 4 wire plastic connector on each end and is "auxilary" to connect the CD ROM to a PCI Card Dial-up Modem with Voice. Generally, it is not needed, and the CD ROM will work just fine without being connected to the voice modem card. But that's all I immediately can think of. "Improvizing" is not recommended when it comes to physically cleaning. Best bet is to use compressed air. It is not recommended to "wipe" or "brush" components inside the case when attempting to clean. A can of compressed air can be purchased at most Office Supply shops for a few dollars. Thanks for keeping us posted with your progress. Best Regards

Occasionally you may find a small cable of 4 wires, either twisted together of cased together. It would have a 4 wire plastic connector on each end and is "auxilary" to connect the CD ROM to a PCI Card Dial-up Modem with Voice. Generally, it is not needed, and the CD ROM will work just fine without being connected to the voice modem card. But that's all I immediately can think of.


That's exactly what it is, but there was nowhere to plug it in and I looked for a LONG time to make sure. Guess it doesn't really affect things, can't imagine it was ever plugged in to begin with.

Can I just ask how I:

Turn off "Page Transitions"
Turn off "automatic image resize"

Also, a lot of those things in msconfig startup tab didn't appear, or at least many appeared with a different name. I disabled pretty much everything though. I've also uninstalled Norton, and but nothing's changed. And Spyware Doctor. I think this all happened AFTER I got Norton, I'm not sure what other problems might have caused it. Azeurus? I doubt it though.

I'll be doing Defrag later and ASUS Probe.
Hi Pretzel Prince,

Remember: "Google is your friend"

Page Transitions
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/training/i…ransitions.aspx

automatic image resize:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/us…autoresize.mspx

Note: "automatic image resize" may be an item that you prefer to keep enabled.
Try disabling it for a while, and if you run into a significant number of websites or situations in which image resize would be preferred, then you can simply re-enable it.

My goal at this time in working on this problem is to reduce demands upon your system resources as much as possible.

If/when you obtain more RAM, then you will be able to run more "optional" programs and features without compromising performance.

Best Regards
Pretzel Prince, That cable may at one time have been connected to a PCI Dial-up Modem Card. The socket for the connector is on "the edge" of the PCI Modem Card. Leave it disconnected unless you use Dial-up connection for Voice communication. Please send us a fresh Pit Test techexpress. Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI