This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer no longer recognises blank discs

17 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok everytime I insert a blank CD into either drive, the computer fails to recognise it. I need to burn something for tomorrow and now I can't. I've tried several different types, so it's not like it blocks only certain makes, and I've tried the same discs on another computer and they work fine. Normal CDs and DVDs also work fine. I've also tried reinstalling both drives, again the problem remains. Please help :(
Hi Pretzel Prince, In a recent HJT Log procedure, you "disabled" a bogus ASPI driver. I'm wondering if you disabled more than just the "bogus" one. please go to: Start –> Run In the box type in services.msc then hit < Enter > (or click OK) In the Name column look for: Microsoft ASPI Manager < Double-click > it. In the dialogue box that pops up, check in the Path to executable box. Please write down the ASPI scripts in the Path of the executable box, and print it into your next reply. Also take not of the "status" of that executable. Is it "disabled"? Next: What DVD CD writer unint do you have? (the actual optical drive installed on your machine) What DVD CD writing software are you using? Best Regards
Ok I did that and couldn't find Microsoft ASPI Manager in the column at all :( As to my unit and software, I can honestly say I'm really not sure. The computer itself was built from different parts, so I'm unsure of the exact specifications. Sorry :(
Pretzel Prince, That's just fine, that no ASPI was found. Win XP can recognize CD, DVD, and re-write functions without accessing via ASPI, it's just that "some" read/write softwares require ASPI. Since we don't know what read/write software you might be using, we don't know if it requires ASPI, and I might not be able to recognize it, even if we did inow. Probably the most popular/often used re-write softwares are Easy CD Creator and Nero. Either of them "ring a bell" for you? The first/best remedy for read/write software problems is to reinstall it. If it happens to be a System File that is missing or corrupt, the first/best remedy i System File Checker. If you use a software for Read/Write function, reinstall it. Then Run System File Checker: Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow <—- please note the space between "c" and "/" Best Regards
I'm sorry for the late reply, I've been away and haven't been able to get around to it until now. Ok, so I tried running that system file checker, and it said certain files need to be in the DLL cache or something for windows to function properly, then asked me to install the Windows XP Professional disc. I do have that, I think, but will this make me lose anything on my computer? As for what read/write software I use, is there any easy way to find out? I know my computer just has Windows XP Thanks for bearing with me.
Regarding SFC: When it calls for XP Pro CD, does it give you an option to Browse? If it does, Browse to C:\Windows\i386 and press Enter Hopefully, SFC will then drag the necessary .dll's from there. Is this one of those "pre-installed" XP operating systems, with a supposed D:\ backup partition? We may be able to get at a D:\i386 folder there. Or we may be able to get to a Recovery Console and do a Repair Installation from the D:\ partition. Regarding Burning Software: You can browse through your C:\Program Files\ to see if any familiar names are listed. Easy CD Creator Roxio Nero Ahead-Nero If you see one of those, then that's your CD Burning Software. Best Regards
No, there's no option to browse, just "more information" (which just lists reasons the CD won't work, assuming I entered one), "retry" and "cancel". I don't know about pre-installed, but the DVD/CD-RW Drive is: (D:), if that's any help. Is the CD Burner I'm using an in-built Windows one maybe? Or maybe the fact I can't find any of the above means I've actually deleted it somehow, if that makes a difference.
Hi Pretzel Prince,

Since SFC did identify and call for replacement files, you probably do have an Operating System problem that can easily be repaired with the effective use of SFC. Whether that will fix the problem of your DVD/CD Writer being unable to recognize blank disks is another matter to take up after your Operating System is fully restored.

We'll do this the hard way, which will ultimately turn out to be the easy way.

Open your Windows Explorer or My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View(tab)
Put a Mark in "Show hidden files & Folders"
Remove the Mark from "Hide Protected operating system files"
Answer "Yes" to the Warning
Click on Apply
Click on OK or Close (to close the Tools Menu) But leave Windows Explorer or My Computer open

Next
Create a New Folder on C:\ drive (C:\New Folder), and Rename it C:\i386
Next
Insert your XP Installation CD (if it automatically starts its own Menu, close the Menu by clicking on the X in the upper right hand corner.
Next
Using your already open Windows Explorer or My Computer Click on the D:\ Drive where you've inserted the XP Installation CD, such that Windows Explorer displays the Contents of that CD.
Look for the Folder D:\i386 (where (D) is the drive letter for your CD ROM where you've inserted the XP CD
Double-Click on D:\i386 to open the Folder.
It is a relatively large folder (has alot of files in it)
These are actually the resource files from which XP was originally installed, and which are the "replacement" files that SFC uses to repair any missing or corrupt Operating System files.
Next
Click on the Edit button and Press - Select All (this will highlight all of the files in (x):\i386
Next
In the Edit drop down menu, Click Copy
Next
Navigate to your newly created C:\i386 folder and open it. (it will still be empty)
Next
In the Edit drop down menu, Click - Paste

So now you've Copied and Pasted the entire XP backup resource to your C:\i386 (it will be about 475mb total)

Next
We need to tell SFC where to find the resources of C:\i386
To do this, we will use Regedit.exe
(To Learn More about Using the Registry Editor, you can go here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756
(Or simply folow my instructions below)

Next
GoTo - Start - Run - (type)Regedit.exe
This opens your Registry Editor

Next
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

Next
You will see various entries on the right-hand side. The one we want is called: SourcePath
SourcePath probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive. (We will be changing this entry)

Next we will "backup" this Registry Item prior to making any changes
Single-Click on SourcePath (from the list in the right-hand display) (This Highlights SourcePath)
Next
Click on the File menu - click Export
A "Save-in" box will appear.
- Select a location where you want to save the Registration Entries (.reg) file, (I suggest "DeskTop")
- Type a file name in the File name box (I suggest "SetupSourcePath.reg)
- then click Save
(You now have a backup of this item in case you want to return to the prior setting for some reason in the future)

Next
In Registry Editor, "Double-Click" on "SourcePath"
(doing so opens a "Edit String" box)
(The Value Name will show: SourcePath)
(The Value Data will already be Highlighted and will probably refer to your CD-ROM)
(Even though we have already "backed-up" this Value Data, please write down the Value Data information on a piece of paper so you can include the information in your next Reply in this Forum Thread)

Next
(type) C:\ then Press OK (in the Value Data line) (This will cause the previous Value Data information to disappear and leave only your new Value Data - C:\)

Next
Reboot your computer

Next
When your Computer is booted into Windows try your sfc /scannow again
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter

The SFC should take about 20 minutes.
If you sit in front of your Monitor watching the WFP ProgressBar, you will probably notice that SFC stops periodically to correctly access your new C:\i386 to replace missing or corrupt files.

After completing SFC, you can go ahead and try out your Disk burning procedure that previously "failed to recognize a blank CD"

Keep us posted with your progress.

If you still find that a blank disk is not recognized we will take additional steps accordingly.

Best Regards
Ok I got to creating a new folder, but it wouldn't let me use characters like ":" or "\" in the title. I'm guessing this doesn't matter, but I thought I'd make sure before continuing.
Ok so I've tried all that, and still nothing :( The burning fails to work in itunes, or simply copying files to CD which always requests that I "please enter a blank CD". All of the tasks listed worked perfectly as well. This is in both the DVD/CD-RW Drive (D:) and the CD Drive (E:). I can't remember if I pointed out that I have both, and I wholly apologize if not :unsure: Thanks for trying, I appreciate it

still nothing :( The burning fails to work in itunes, or simply copying files to CD which always requests that I "please enter a blank CD".



Please describe the steps you take to try the above. Maybe I can spot something.
Please describe the settings on any "panels" that appear, which could relate to the selecting Recorder, the media type, or the complilation type.

Are you selecting Create an Audio CD, Data CD, Mixed Mode, ISO, etc.?

My questions may not be making any sense at this point, as I do not know what utility you may be using.
I am not familiar with burning CD using the native XP, but there are probably some good problem-solving articles available via Google.

You wrote:

All of the tasks listed worked perfectly as well.


Are you referring to the instructions for setting up SFC? If so, I'm glad it worked for you.

From your earliest post, I think I'm understanding that everything was working fine…….. And then it wasn't.?

Any changes to software, hardware that you can remember?

Best Regards
This Microsoft Article looks promising:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s…eptember16.mspx

If you have a compatible CD burner, you shouldn't need to do anything special to get it working under Windows XP Home Edition or Professional. The core code that makes CD recording possible is enabled automatically when you set up Windows XP. If you're unable to record a CD, start the troubleshooting process by checking to ensure that the feature is properly configured:

1. Open My Computer, right-click the CD Drive icon, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Recording tab to display the settings shown in Figure 1.

• If you don't see a Recording tab, then Windows XP doesn't recognize your CD burner's recording capabilities. Check the Windows Hardware Compatibility List to make sure your drive is on the list. If the drive is listed and you can play CDs, but no Recording tab is visible, you'll need to manually edit the Registry using the instructions in Knowledge Base article, CD-R Drive or CD-RW Drive Is Not Recognized as a Recordable Device.

• Make sure the Enable CD recording on this drive check box is selected. This setting turns on the built-in CD recording features included with Windows XP. The only reason to disable this feature is if you always prefer to use a third-party program and want to avoid any possible conflict between that program and Windows XP.

• Try a slower speed. Instead of choosing the Fastest setting, dial the burning speed back to 18X or even 8X. Your drive may be able to keep up with a less demanding pace.

• And of course, don't overlook the obvious. You do have a blank CD in the drive and the drive is properly connected, right?


If the drive is configured correctly but you end up with coasters instead of readable CDs, check to make sure you've installed Windows XP Service Pack 1. Problems in the original release of Windows XP resulted in problems with certain CD-R drives; these issues were fixed in SP1. For more information, see Knowledge Base article, Compact Disc Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders or Is Unreadable.

Well with itunes I try inserting the disc, make the playlist etc, and press burn, but it always says "checking media" for a few minutes and nothing happens. When I try to copy files, I've tried dragging them in and copy and pasting. They all ask for a blank CD. In both drives. I've tried looking at all the properties and various tab menus, both in itunes and in the actual disk drives, and everything seems to be ok, it's supposed to "prompt" me when a blank CD is entered but it doesn't. Playing CDs that have already been copied doesn't seem to be a problem however. I don't know if this is any use whatsoever, but if I right click on the drives and bring up "properties". then "hardware", it gives them as: Maxtor 6E040L0 - Disk Drives Maxtor 6Y080L0 - Disk Drives HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR 8523B - DVD/CD-ROM Drives SONY CD-RW CRX320E - DVD/CD-ROM Drives And floppy disk drive of course.. I just don't have a clue what it could be :(

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI