My CD/DVD drive can't write on blank discs anymore. Some discs it has trouble recognizing. Others it tries to write but fails, with different error messages. I'd given up on it, but tried again this week to create Windows recovery media. Didn't work.
I was trying to use Windows–the create recovery disk option in the control panel. When I used CDs, it came back that the speeds of the media and the drive didn't match up (they did). When I tried DVDs, Windows didn't even recognize the disks.
Ok. Tried to write a random directory to a CD. It failed. I'm pasting the log and attaching the error alert window in a JPG.
I 19:05:06 ImgBurn Version 2.5.8.0 started!
I 19:05:06 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Edition (6.1, Build 7601 : Service Pack 1)
I 19:05:06 Total Physical Memory: 4,108,144 KiB - Available: 1,446,244 KiB
I 19:05:06 Initialising SPTI…
I 19:05:06 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
I 19:05:06 -> Drive 1 - Info: MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ152 1.00 (F:) (ATAPI)
I 19:05:06 Found 1 BD-ROM/DVD±RW!
I 19:10:30 Operation Started!
I 19:10:30 Building Image Tree…
I 19:10:41 Checking Directory Depth…
I 19:10:41 Calculating Totals…
I 19:10:41 Preparing Image…
I 19:10:42 Checking Path Length…
I 19:10:42 Contents: 45 Files, 10 Folders
I 19:10:42 Content Type: Data
I 19:10:42 Data Type: MODE1/2048
I 19:10:42 File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
I 19:10:42 Volume Label: BROFORCE_Brototype_Windows
I 19:10:42 Size: 121,204,691 bytes
I 19:10:42 Sectors: 59,203
I 19:10:42 Image Size: 121,962,496 bytes
I 19:10:42 Image Sectors: 59,552
I 19:10:47 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:00:17
I 19:10:48 Operation Started!
I 19:10:48 Source File: -==/\/[BUILD IMAGE]\/\==-
I 19:10:48 Source File Sectors: 59,552 (MODE1/2048)
I 19:10:48 Source File Size: 121,962,496 bytes
I 19:10:48 Source File Volume Identifier: BROFORCE_Brototype_Windows
I 19:10:48 Source File Volume Set Identifier: 4B64994A0000E896
I 19:10:48 Source File Application Identifier: IMGBURN V2.5.8.0 - THE ULTIMATE IMAGE BURNER!
I 19:10:48 Source File Implementation Identifier: ImgBurn
I 19:10:48 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
I 19:10:48 Destination Device: [0:1:0] MATSHITA BD-CMB UJ152 1.00 (F:) (ATAPI)
I 19:10:48 Destination Media Type: CD-R (Disc ID: 97m15s17f, Ritek Co.)
I 19:10:48 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 8x, 16x
I 19:10:48 Destination Media Sectors: 359,846
I 19:10:48 Write Mode: CD
I 19:10:48 Write Type: SAO
I 19:10:48 Write Speed: MAX
I 19:10:48 Lock Volume: Yes
I 19:10:48 Test Mode: No
I 19:10:48 OPC: No
I 19:10:48 BURN-Proof: Enabled
I 19:10:48 Write Speed Successfully Set! - Effective: 2,822 KB/s (16x)
I 19:10:49 Filling Buffer… (80 MiB)
I 19:10:50 Writing LeadIn…
W 19:11:02 Failed to Write Sectors -150 - -119 - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (1 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (2 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (3 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (4 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (5 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (6 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (7 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (8 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (9 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (10 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (11 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (12 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (13 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (14 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (15 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (16 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (17 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (18 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (19 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:11:02 Retrying (20 of 20)…
W 19:11:02 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:12:50 Retrying (21)…
W 19:12:50 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
W 19:12:57 Retrying (22)…
W 19:12:57 Retry Failed - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
E 19:12:59 Failed to Write Sectors -150 - -119 - Reason: Power Calibration Area Error
I 19:12:59 Writing Sectors…
I 19:12:59 Synchronising Cache…
E 19:13:08 Failed to Write Image!
E 19:13:08 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:02:19
I 19:13:08 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A
I 19:10:48 Destination Media Type: CD-R (Disc ID: 97m15s17f, Ritek Co.)
I 19:10:48 Destination Media Supported Write Speeds: 8x, 16x
That is a poor quality brand of disk, have you tried any others either CD or DVD, Verbatim are good if you can lay your hands on some.
The write supported speed is also too high for a low quality disk,
You will note that those are two of the points mentioned in my reply #4;
Couple of pointers for you;
For Windows 7 media the disks need to be DVD due to the video content in Windows 7.
Some drives do not like certain brands of disk.
It is possible for one function to work on an optical drive but not another eg the drive will read and write to CD but not DVD and vice versa.
A slow burn will often be more successful than a faster burn,
Ritek (Ridata) media discussed at this thread here and the burn error reported here
If you have or if you can borrow a lens cleaner I would run that a couple of times then try a different brand of disk at X2 or X4, I would not recommend purchasing a lens cleaning kit as a good one costs almost the same as a new DVD/CD burner, using canned/compressed air to bow out the drive may help as could checking for any firmware update for the drive.
Ok. It's going to take some time to dig up some new disks. I'll let you know when I can pick some up and do a test run.
In the mean time, one of the symptoms that I first went to the malware forum to ask about–unsolicited phantom windows that appear with no content–just recurred. The basic details: a small window pops up, no content, no menu, no exit X in the corner. Nothing comes up with a right click. If I click the bar, the window itself disappears, but the bar remains. It goes away when I click the clear desktop button in the corner of windows 7 or when it's covered by another window. If it's just a nuisance, I can live with it. I'm just trying to make sure it's not associated with any kind of malicious process. So unless you've got some thoughts on that, I'll jump back over to Juliet to make sure we got all the malware.
Would only obtain one blank CD and the one blank DVD for now along with trying to give the drive some sort of clean, the power calibration area error is normally caused by the laser on the burner not being able to do a test burn on the disk, as said this could be dust, a failed laser or rubbish quality disks so atm no point in spending any more than you have to.
When you next reply can you also answer the following for us;
Ok. I just haven't seen single disks for sale in a very, very long time. Could be I'm just not shopping for them. I've tried to clean it with canned air in the past. I've also checked for firmware, but I haven't found any updates. Since Sony shut down their VAIO line, support is spotty. I'll ask around for a lens cleaner.
By "random directory," I meant that I picked a folder at random, meaning the first folder I clicked on.