This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

All is lost!

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

On win 98 using OE6 and a Roadrunner account, I recently had to change my road runner account password When I opened OE after logging on to the new account, my "Sent Items" folder was intact but there was nothing in my "In Box". What happened to all these email messages? Can I get then back?
Did you reset you Password in OE? Open OE. Select - Tools - Accounts - Properties - Servers(tab) Under the item "Incoming Mail Server" - Type in your new Password. That should do it for you. Best Regards
Which version of Outlook are you using. I presume Outlook 2000? Open Outlook. Select - View - Current View Only the Item - "Messages" should have a checkmark next to it. If any other Items have checkmarks, they are "restricting" what emails you can see. Did you "Archive" your Outlook files while you were making the changes that you refer to?
OK. Outlook Express handles and saves folders and email items, slightly different from Outlook. I've been researching solutions for "Outlook" because I didn't see that you were asking about Outlook Express. And since I use Outlook on my Win98 machine I was investigating there. I'll revise my research to investigate Outlook Express 6.
Outlook Express 6 uses "file format — .dbx" to store emails from your various folders.
Inbox.dbx is stored at C:\Windows\Application Data\Identities\{a big long alphameric number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

If the previously mentioned "Views" setting is not restricting the "visibility" of your Inbox emails, then consider "Importing" from the above location.

Your Outlook Express may be treating the Inbox emails associated with your old password as another "Identity".

Running OE 6. Hit File, Import, Messages, select Outlook Express 6 (or whatever version of Outlook Express you're importing from, and press Next. Now select Import mail from an OE6 store directory, and press OK. The next page of the import wizard will let you point to the directory containing the other OE's store. Once you've selected that, press Next and you can choose which folders to import.





I think you've indicated that you haven't made the following mistake, but just to make sure…………
Make sure you haven't mistakenly switched to Outlook, instead of Outlook Express 6, (or vice versa) when you modified your password. If you had previously been using Outlook, and now you are using Outlook Express 6, then your Outlook Express 6 Inbox will be "empty" because all your old inbox emails are in "Outlook" Inbox.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI