This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sound is gone - not my speakers, not muted...what is it? Also, blueto

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

The sound on my computer (Dell Dimension 2400) has been going in and out for a while now. Sometimes I would bring up the control panel to find that the sound has mysteriously been muted. Other times it just required a quick restart to fix. But now I can't seem to find the problem. Another problem I have been experiencing is extreme lag issues with my Logitech bluetooth mouse. Doesn't happen always, just sometimes. But once it starts up there's usually no stopping it without restarting. My keyboard often shows signs of it too by inserting the first letter I type twice, but other than that no problems. Any ideas?
Check in your Device Manager. keyboard –driver mouse –driver Bluetooth –driver Notice any yellow or red warning signs? If you do, Remove the Driver and allow Windows to "find new hardware" and "install drivers for new hardware". (if you've previously updated any of those drivers, you'll have to apply the updates again.) Tell us more about your machine. What general maintenance do you do? What general use to you put to your machine/ When's the last time you cleared all your temp/junk files? When's the last time you ran ScanDisk and DiskDefrag? How about antivirus/antispyware…. What utilities do you use on a regular basis? How much "free space" do you have remaining on your Hard Drive. What applications and processes do you have running active from StartUp? Do you have all the current MS updates? A little more information, may go a long way in helping us help you with your machine. Best Regards
Device manager shows no warning signs… Besides pop-up blocker through Firefox I haven't used any anti-virus/spyware programs in a while. I'm writing from work now so I can't tell you exactly what programs I have running from startup. Which programs do you recommend (preferably free)? In regards to your other questions, I empty my junk files often, primarily use my machine for internet, Office applications, and some gaming on the side. As far as I know I have all available updates but how do I check to make sure? I will run Scan Disk and Disk Defrag later today to see if that helps. Any other thoughts on what could be the issue at the moment? Thanks for your help! I used TomCoyote once about 4 or 5 years ago and it was a great experience!
Hi LilBuddha22,

For MS updates, here's the MS site:
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

I'm disappointed that you didn't find any warnings that could be repaired from Device Manager.
It is possible that some Operating System files have become corrupted and are now causing your intermittent Sound problem.

First line of investigation/repair is Windows File Protection System File Checker
to run SFC:
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow - Enter

A DOS-like screen will open briefly and then disappear - that's normal.
Then a Windows File Protection "progress bar" will appear on your monitor, reporting the progress of SFC as it scans your Operating System. (should take about 20 minutes) If it closes immediately, or finishes in only one or two minutes, then it didn't function properly and we'll have to take further steps.

If SFC finds missing or corrupt operating system files it will search for an installation backup. On your Dell machine you probably have a D:\ drive that is the location from which your XP was "pre-installed". While I detest this practice, it will probably work just fine. However, SFC "may" ask you to insert your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you are temporarily up a creek. But Dell may have included one when you received your machine. Also, if you have upgraded to SP2, you may have an SP2 CD. That SP2 disk will work just fine with SFC.

If SFC doesn't run for you, and you have no Installation CD, you can acquire one directly from Dell for a "small" fee. You can also get the SP2 upgrade on CD by ordering it from Microsoft (about $9) It takes about one week for shipping by mail in the US.

_________________________

after you've completed the above.

I'd still like to know how much "free space" you have on your Hard Drive.
That's because owner/users sometimes "progressively" install a variety of applications and download various stuff, like media files, that eventually uses up most of the Hard Drive space. With a "nearly full" Hard Drive, all kinds of problems can crop up with your Windows operating system. So please post that information in your next replay.

_____________________

Similarly, owner/users may "progressively" allow more and more applications and processes to be started actively from the StartUp menu. - MSCONFIG - StartUp(tab)

You can get an excellent picture of what is running on your machine by using SysInternals - AutoRuns
AutoRuns is a "third-party" utility that can be downloaded, here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html
(the download clickable link is at the very bottom of that page)

Create a Folder in C:\Program Files
such that you have:
C:\Program Files\SysInternals
SAVE the AutoRuns zip file into that New Folder.
Unzip AutoRuns and extract the file into your C:\Program Files\SysInternals (folder)

Double click on AutoRuns.exe to run the utility.

Caution: AutoRuns is a well respected and useful tool to examine what is running on a machine. As such, it is a "very powerful" tool. Using the tool you can "turn-off" many application and system functions.
Therefore: *** Do not make any changes without thoroughly understanding the use of AutoRuns and the various files and functions that you are dealing with.

It is "safe" to run AutoRuns as a scan to "view" what applications and processes are running. Don't make any changes, yet.

Click on the "login" (tab) to display what is running active from when you boot your machine.
Use File - Save As to save the report of what is running active.
AutoRuns will Save the report as "AutoRuns.txt" I usually add the date of the AutoRuns filename as follows:
AutoRuns100406.txt (to reflect today's date)

Copy/Paste the entire contents of that AutoRuns1004006.txt into your next reply.
_____________________
By now I hope you've Run your ScanDisk and Disk Defragmenter

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI