1) I utilize 8 different infection prevention/removal programs. Some purchased, some free. Three I use religiously…. Norton, StopZILLA and Spy Sweeper. The remainder I use when bored. I am virtually trouble free and never had any "major problems" (knock wood), many trivial annoyances that were easily cured. What I am curious about is the results of the various scans. No program finds what any other program finds and all find something unique and different. Isn't an infection an infection? Shouldn't they all find the same infection? Why are the scan results ALL completely different? What in your opinions is the definitive prevention/removal programs?
2) I am about to "cowboy up" and clean up my HOSTS FILE. Attempting this manuvear to gain experience before I attempt to play around in my registry. Figure HOST FILE screw ups are easier to correct till I get some hands-on. Does anyone have any "beware of's" or "do this first's"? (wanting to learn about these to areas because I heard about rootkits – seems they are the third greatest threat to mankind behind global thermal nuclear war and world starvation)
I am new, been reading thru the history of posts. You "Advisors" are way cool! Very helpful with direct, understandable solutions/advice/"do this's" to seemingly horrendous computing dilemas.
Hi,
You raise some good points.
One way of looking at infections is to consider the use of anti-biotics for bacterial infections in human beings. No one anti-biotic is effective for all infections…to mix my metaphors it's "horses for courses!"
It is sensible to use different tools for the different types of Computer infection and defence.
The following golden rules may help:
1 Never use an Administrator account for routine use on the Internet
2 Keep your operating system patched and up to date
3 Ensure your anti-virus programme is updated with the latest definitions as a minimum on a daily basis.
4 Check your 2 way firewall has no loopholes on a daily basis.
5 Be very conservative on the sites you visit and never click on something which looks interesting without thinking about the implications.
6 Never open an attachment to an email without thinking and evaluating it carefully beforehand.
7 Only read emails in plain text do not use html. (dangers of embedded code) and do not use a "Preview pane"
8 Regularly check your browser security settings always set them on the "high" side.
9 Use an alternative to Outlook Express and Internet Explorer if possible
10 go to the forum http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27 which will provide you with comprehensive information and programmes that will help you keep your computer free fom malicious elements and identify the sources of potential threats.
11 Protect your Hosts file (see above for details)
Good luck and safe surfing.
Paws
Those are good disciplines to live by. I pretty much do them all religiously, except for #7. I am real bad about being an html'er. Being diligent like you suggest might be why I haven't had any major melt-downs. I really like the http……..=27 link, I hadn't found it till you pointed me there. Lost all track of time in there. With the info in the forum link I think HOSTS FILES and registry will bow before me.
So using a combination of combative tools is a good idea. Doctor must diagnos and prescribe on a per patient situation.
Hi
Yes ,
I understand and I like the html too!
Setting your security settings in your browser to high may help to keep out some malicious embedded code.
Yes the forum is a wonderful resource and the experts who offer detailed advice and instructions are an inspiration to us all.
I sometimes try to look something up, in the malware forum, then get interested in something completely different and then find that an hour has flashed by…
Its a good job I'm self employed… it means I have an understanding boss!
Regards
Paws
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI