This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

[Closed] Problem with SpywareDoctor

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I scanned my PC with the free version of Spyware Doctor and it returns two infections "Spyware.Possible_Website_Hijack" in the Hosts file entries 127.0.0.1 www.spywareinfo.com and spywareinfo.com. I made other checks with Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Trojan Remover, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Superantispyware (all free editions)., and NONE of the other programs are finding any malware. In particular I scanned the hosts file, with no problems. I'm suspecting that the problem is not in my PC, rather in Spyware Doctor that classifies incorrectly something as Hijack. I searched in the Web and found this problem associated only to Spyware Doctor. On Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file) I saw that the Immunization tool of Spyware Search & Destroy populates the hosts file with thousands of URL's of adware and malware redirected to 127.0.0.1. Since I used recently the Immunization Tool of Spybot Search and Destroy, I'm asking if this could be a possible cause for my problem. I would like to have some indication on how to proceed. I use carefully the PC, and scan it every week with antivirus (Ad-Aware) and 3 different antispyware, moreover I have an active firewall (Comodo), and I never go on high-risk Web sites, so I think it would be very difficult to get some infection. Could you please give me some suggestions? Many thanks and cheers
Hi, and Welcome to WhatTheTech :)

Apologies in the delay in a response. We are overwhelmed with logs at the moment and there aren't enough helpers to go around.

Yes, "Spyware.Possible_Website_Hijack" just means that those entries in your hosts file are non-default. There is no threat there.

Are you having any other problems?

Thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI