This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

DHCP, VOIP, CABLE MODEM

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

HI folks, I,ve got a few concerns! First let me tell my WAN setup; I've a Cable Modem from Roadrunner (High Speed), Next it connects to my ata/gizmo from Sunrocket (VOIP device) WAN port, DHCP is enable, then from the LAN port it goes to my LinkSys wireless -g router wan port, which also has its DHCP enable. I get two different IP from each DHCP to each device PC, printer, laptop, for the same MAC etc. All is working great, but is this the norm to have two DHCP with different IP (ex. 192.168.251.110 from LinkSys, 192.168.1.100 from Sunrocket). What may happen, is it more secure or just redundant, should I trun one off if so which one. Next, I get great speed from my ISP, I use Visualware site to test connectivity, speed, QOS, etc. It tells me on the VOIP analysis that my download speed is great 7.85 Mbps, the upload is 491 kbps, the jitter is 4.0ms, the packet loss is 0.0 %, the MOS is 3.9, the max pause is 94 ms, and the round trip is 40 ms, but the QOS is never goes more than 55 %. I try to get answers with all parties in concern and they all blame each other. Why would I have a bad QOS with such high band connectivity. It shold be at least in the 75 % or more range. HELP?? !! :(
You may have quite possibly answered your own question there. The whole issue with speed inside and out of a LAN is bottlenecking. The more a packet has to be shuffled around the congested its going to act. … that make sense..?

You can disable your DHCP on every thing (except your modem). This might possibly help some, your ISP has your DHCP enabled from the server side.. so basically, your modem's DHCP is the one that handles that. In fact, you probably cant disable your modems dynamic ip status… being you have cable im quite sure its DOCSIS so probably dont have that to worry about.

What I would I do is go to DSL Reports.com and run there tests and post this there. This site has the most professionals on hand (professionals as in people who actually are techs for the ISP in question) to explain and help you figure out any issues you may have.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI