This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

older router

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello It is hard to get an anawer from the forum at Netgear(a lot of KB). I have a cabled router, not wireless as I now use and it his about 7 years old. It reads; Static +Dynamic Routing with TCP/IP,VPNpass through(IPSec, L2TP), NAT, UDP, RIP-1,RIP 2, PPTP,,PPPoE,DNS,DHCP(client and server). Port range forwarding, Exposed Host,(DMZ), DNS Proxy, MAC address authentication, URL, Content filtering, E-mail alerts of Internet activity logs. Interface Specifications - Internet/WAN: 10/100 Mbps(auto sensing) Ethernet RJ-45 LAN -4 ports, 10/100 Mbps(auto sensing) Ethernet RJ - 45 Firewall: Staeful packet Inspection SPI, Dos attack Detection /Logging, Dropped Packet log, Security event Log, Email Log. My question is, is this out of date to the point where I would have better security with a newer one? I use a wireless router now but would like to know if I am ptrotected with this one if the other nrewer one should fail. Thank you
I do not see that a new router will make you any safer. If what you have is working, stay with it. The only reason I could see to change would be if you needed wireless, then I would get a Wireless N router.
My current wireless router is fine. I was asking, if it should fail, would the old wired one be secure. I have since understood that wired ones do not have to be configured so carefully as wireless ones so am satisfied that if the wirelss one were to fail, I could use the wired one safely in the interim.
Sorry, I misread your question, and as you've already said, a wired router has no security configuration settings, other than changing the default userid and password.

Sorry, I misread your question, and as you've already said, a wired router has no security configuration settings, other than changing the default userid and password.



>>No sorries necessary. Better safe than sorry.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI