This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

SFC in WinXP

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Each time I try to run SFC, it asks for the WinXP CD to install to the DLL cache. Even with the CD inserted, it says it's wrong and to insert the correct. I've followed many suggestions to repair, even changing the registry to direct the search to I386 on my C drive. That got me halfway through the SFC and then that request for the CD starts again. I even did a tech suggestion of renaming a dll to see if System File Protection is working. It is not! Any help will be greatly appreciated. :( NJOls
Are you getting a message that says a specific file.dll is missing?
Let us know what specific file.dll it is referring to, if that is the case.

If your operating system has been updated to SP2, SFC may object to you using an older installation CD that is XP without service packs.

You can get the SP2 installation CD from Microsoft, here for about $9.00:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx

In my experience, the CD comes in less than one week.

Best Regards
Thanks for your response. There is no specific DLL requested. It just says to insert CD so files can be added to the DLL cache. I have the SP2 CD and tried it and it's no go. It's frustrating to know that it ran halfway when I changed the path from E:\ to C:\. Any other suggestions?
I'm not clear on what you mean here:

it ran halfway when I changed the path from E:\ to C:\.


Maybe it's just that I'm still on only my first cup of coffee.
but more information might jog my eyeballs or brain to recognize the problem.

Best Regards
It was suggested that I change the enrtry in the registry so the source path points to I386 in C:\. The registry location is HLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath. When this was changed from E:\ to C:\, SFC ran halfway.
:D FWIW… I was able to get sfc to scan completely by copying the I386 folder from the XP CD to C:\I386. I changed the source path location {for SFC} in the registry at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows and Windows NT from E to C. This workaround caused SFC to refer to C:\I386 for files rather than E:\I386. Hope this helps anyone else who has or gets this problem.
Hi njols,

I'm glad you were able to resolve your situation.

The procedure that you used, is highly recommended and may eliminate the need to insert your XP CD for many of the Windows File Protection built-in protection protocols.

This is an excellent knowledge base article regarding Windows File Protection - System File Checker, and also gives step-by-step instructions for completing the "work-around" that eventually worked for you.
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Thanks for your informative replies as you worked out the program on your own.
I, too, am hopeful that your experience will assist other Members in similar circumstances.

I'm glad you've decided to be a Member here at TomCoyote.
I hope you will post again when you want to, and help again when you can.

Best Regards

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI