Regarding your second hard drive, most people do not put the OS on the 2d drive. If you do, then you will have to deal with a dual-boot situation which means that on bootup, both drives are going to be recognized by Windows as having an Operating System ("OS"). You can set it up so that your 1st hard drive is the default drive to bootup but, in my humble opinion, you're defeating the purpose of having a 2d hard drive.
I have a second hard drive and I (and most people) use it for data, pics, etc. with no OS installed. The primary reason is that if you ever have to reformat and reinstall Windows, then your data is safe. As an example, when I use my word processor, everything is saved to a folder on my 2d hard drive. My pics are saved on the 2d hard drive, but Adobe is on the 1st hard drive. I just set the default path to D:\Pictures (D being my 2d hard drive). Every so often I copy by bookmarks in Firefox over to my D drive, and any other files I want to save. Your apps will be installed on your 1st hard drive, but you should consider using the 2d hard drive for hosting your data. Of course, you still need to backup both drives using whatever backup process you use.
Now, regarding ewido, I'm not sure why it didn't work in Safe Mode. Since it's now installed, please try it again. Scanning in Safe Mode is preferable, especially when you're looking for something that's loaded in the background in Normal Mode. So, just boot into Safe Mode, open ewido and perform a Full/Complete Scan. If anything is found, click "Apply All Actions" and, when it is finished, then click "Save Report" which you can then copy/paste into your next reply.
Lastly, I'm not finding any malware on your system. So, as one last step, since you already have the ActiveX for Panda's Online scan, please run the scan. Select "My Computer" and let it scan.
Post back with the results of the ewido scan (if any), the results of the Panda scan and a new HijackThis log. Also, let me know how your computer is running now.
Strange that you cannot see my post. It is immediately prior to yours but I will repost it for you:
Hi,
Regarding your second hard drive, most people do not put the OS on the 2d drive. If you do, then you will have to deal with a dual-boot situation which means that on bootup, both drives are going to be recognized by Windows as having an Operating System ("OS"). You can set it up so that your 1st hard drive is the default drive to bootup but, in my humble opinion, you're defeating the purpose of having a 2d hard drive.
I have a second hard drive and I (and most people) use it for data, pics, etc. with no OS installed. The primary reason is that if you ever have to reformat and reinstall Windows, then your data is safe. As an example, when I use my word processor, everything is saved to a folder on my 2d hard drive. My pics are saved on the 2d hard drive, but Adobe is on the 1st hard drive. I just set the default path to D:\Pictures (D being my 2d hard drive). Every so often I copy by bookmarks in Firefox over to my D drive, and any other files I want to save. Your apps will be installed on your 1st hard drive, but you should consider using the 2d hard drive for hosting your data. Of course, you still need to backup both drives using whatever backup process you use.
Now, regarding ewido, I'm not sure why it didn't work in Safe Mode. Since it's now installed, please try it again. Scanning in Safe Mode is preferable, especially when you're looking for something that's loaded in the background in Normal Mode. So, just boot into Safe Mode, open ewido and perform a Full/Complete Scan. If anything is found, click "Apply All Actions" and, when it is finished, then click "Save Report" which you can then copy/paste into your next reply.
Lastly, I'm not finding any malware on your system. So, as one last step, since you already have the ActiveX for Panda's Online scan, please run the scan. Select "My Computer" and let it scan.
Post back with the results of the ewido scan (if any), the results of the Panda scan and a new HijackThis log. Also, let me know how your computer is running now.
Hi:
I did not see page 2 on the posting log so I have just now found it.
As for the second drive, I do not leave it attached. I backed up once then removed it from my system. As you suggest, I'll only do a data back up the next time I use it.
Enwido? I could open it in safe mode but the buttons to start a scan were off the edge of the screen. So, I could not reach the buttons to begin a scan. I went to the display options in the control panel to try to reduce the size of objects being displayed but it appears that this only works in normal mode. I say this because I tried the operation a second time in safe mode and the enwido display was partially off the screen.
I'll be away for a few days so I won't get back to this till this weekend. If you have some ideas about navigating through enwido in safe mode I would like to hear about them.
Thanks
LA
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.
Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.