This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Rapidly reproducing virus that has taken up all my HD space

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Howdy, I have a virus (or something) that multiplied rapidly (I had 10 MB less free every time I checked) and took up all the free space on my C drive (went from 500 MB down to 30MB), causing me to have to delete a bunch of stuff until I had a little over the required 200 MB free. But then the low-disc space warning came up again, and I rapidly started losing space again, so I had to delete more stuff. My other HD hasn't been affected at all. I ran AntiVir and it didn't find anything, but there were 23 warnings, and they were for files that it couldn't open. I did the Kaspersky online scan and it says 0 viruses, infected objects or suspicious objects found, but it skipped about 58 files because "object is locked". The virus doesn't seem to be reproducing anymore, my free space is just over 200MB. I also tried Ad-Aware and Spybot Search & Destroy but they didn't find anything, didn't even give me any warnings, so I guess it's not spyware. Would someone please help me! Thank you.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 7:35:47 PM, on 9/2/2006
Platform: Windows XP (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2600.0000)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: FDMIECookiesBHO Class - {CC59E0F9-7E43-44FA-9FAA-8377850BF205} - C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\iefdmcks.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MOD] C:\Program Files\Microangelo\muamgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlall.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download selected with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlselected.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dllink.htm
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll (file missing)
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky.com/kos/eng/partner/d…can_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {1239CC52-59EF-4DFA-8C61-90FFA846DF7E} (Musicnotes Viewer) - http://www.musicnotes.com/download/mnviewer.cab
O16 - DPF: {1754A1BA-A1DF-4F10-B199-AA55AA1A120F} (InstallerBehaviorFactory Class) - https://signup.msn.com/pages/MsnInstC.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1133116465852
O16 - DPF: {A243F6C2-34D2-4549-BCCD-A7BEF759B236} (Seekford Solutions, Inc.'s ssiPictureUploader Control) - http://img.funtigo.com/images/uploader/ssi…ureUploader.cab
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse…pDownloader.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Rejoice :D

Welcome to the forum. You have no service packs on your system, they can be obtained by using the Windows Update feature. Running your system on the internet with no windows updates is going to keep getting you infected. Most times there are two reasons for not having the updates, one being is that you are not aware of the importance of the updates in relation to the security of your system, the other being that you cant download and install the updates because you are running an illegal copy of windows. Lets hope its not the latter because if we clean you up, your just going to keep getting infected over and over again, and Tom Coyote does not support illegal software.


Basically your logs does not look bad, lets run the trial of Ewido and see what it comes up with.

Download and install the 30 day trial of Ewido Anti Spyware to your desktop.
  • Once you have downloaded Ewido Anti-Spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
  • Once the setup is complete you will need run Ewido and update the definition files.
  • On the main screen select the icon Update then select the Update now link.
  • Next select the Start Update button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
  • Once the update has completed select the Scanner icon at the top of the screen, then select the Settings tab.
  • Once in the Settings screen click on Recommended actions and then select Quarantine <– Dont forget this
  • Under Reports
  • Select Automatically generate report after every scan
  • Un-Select Only if threats were found
  • Close Ewido Anti-Spyware <– Do not run the scan yet.
Boot your computer into Safemode
  • Go to Start> Shut Off your Computer> Restart
  • As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly.
  • This will bring up a menu.
  • Use the Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll up to SAFEMODE
  • Then press the Enter on your Keyboard
IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while ewido is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning process:
  • Launch Ewido-Anti-Spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
  • Select the Scanner icon at the top and then the Scan tab then click on Complete System Scan.
  • Ewido will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
  • Once the scan is complete do the following:
  • If you have any infections you will prompted, then select Apply all actions
  • Next select the Reports icon at the top.
  • Select the Save report as button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your system
  • make sure to remember where you saved that file, this is important
  • Close Ewido


Reboot normally and run this system cleaner.


Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
  • This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main choose: Select All
  • Click the Empty Selected button.

I need to see the Ewido Report and a new HJT log.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.
I have Automatic Updates turned on (and am regularly notified that updates are being made), so I don't know why I didn't have any service packs. So I downloaded and installed Service Pack 2 myself.
I already installed and ran Ewido while I was waiting for a response, and it didn't turn up anything, but I ran it
again, following your instructions.

———————————————————
ewido anti-spyware - Scan Report
———————————————————

+ Created at: 9:00:43 PM 9/7/2006

+ Scan result:



Nothing found.


::Report end

I ran the ATF Cleaner. Is it the same thing as CrapCleaner? I was running that constantly when I was running low on disc space.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:25:27 PM, on 9/7/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE
C:\Program Files\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: FDMIECookiesBHO Class - {CC59E0F9-7E43-44FA-9FAA-8377850BF205} - C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\iefdmcks.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MOD] C:\Program Files\Microangelo\muamgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [eMuleAutoStart] C:\Program Files\eMule\emule.exe -AutoStart
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlall.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download selected with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlselected.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dllink.htm
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {1239CC52-59EF-4DFA-8C61-90FFA846DF7E} (Musicnotes Viewer) - http://www.musicnotes.com/download/mnviewer.cab
O16 - DPF: {1754A1BA-A1DF-4F10-B199-AA55AA1A120F} (InstallerBehaviorFactory Class) - https://signup.msn.com/pages/MsnInstC.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1133116465852
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMesse…pDownloader.cab
O18 - Protocol: msnim - {828030A1-22C1-4009-854F-8E305202313F} - "C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msgrapp.dll" (file missing)
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: MSCSPTISRV - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\MSCSPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: PC Tools Spyware Doctor (SDhelper) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\sdhelp.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
Rejoice :D

I ran the ATF Cleaner. Is it the same thing as CrapCleaner? I was running that constantly when I was running low on disc space.

ATF cleaner was written by Atribune. one of the fine people in the Malware Removal Community.

There are a lot of good system cleaners out, here is another one.

If you don't want the Yahoo Toolbar, be sure to uncheck it during installation
Download and Install CCleaner
* Click on Run Cleaner
* Run the Issues Scan < When it asks you to backup the Registry..Say Yes
Tutorial for CCleaner



Ewido came up clean and your log looks ok, :thumbup: I would like you to run Blacklight, its a quick scan that may show something running that is not on your HJT log. If it comes up clean, then this may be a hardware issue, I am wondering if your HD is in the process of failing.

Download and Save Blacklight to your desktop:
  • Double-click blbeta.exe
  • Then accept the agreement
  • leave [X]scan through Windows Explorer checked.
  • Click > scan then > next
  • You'll see a list of all items found. There will also be a log on your desktop with the name fsbl.xxxxxxx.log (the xxxxxxx stand for numbers).
  • Copy and paste this log in your next reply.
  • Don't choose the rename option yet! I want to see the log first, because legitimate items can also be present there, such as "wbemtest.exe"
Thank you again for your continued help. CCleaner was what I meant by CrapCleaner. I'd never run the issues scan before, though, so I did that. It found 494 issues! Thanks for telling me about that feature, I hadn't noticed it. I downloaded and ran Blacklight; it came up clean. 09/08/06 18:00:01 [Info]: BlackLight Engine 1.0.46 initialized 09/08/06 18:00:01 [Info]: OS: 5.1 build 2600 (Service Pack 2) 09/08/06 18:00:11 [Note]: 7019 4 09/08/06 18:00:11 [Note]: 7005 0 09/08/06 18:00:38 [Note]: 7006 0 09/08/06 18:00:39 [Note]: 7011 1852 09/08/06 18:00:41 [Note]: 7026 0 09/08/06 18:00:42 [Note]: 7026 0 09/08/06 18:03:11 [Note]: FSRAW library version 1.7.1019 09/08/06 18:43:33 [Note]: 7007 0 I haven't had any loss of HD space lately, so I think whatever the problem was, it's resolved itself. I've bought a new and much larger HD, so if this was happening because my current HD is failing, that won't be a problem any more. Thank you very much for telling me that I didn't have any service packs, so I can lessen my chances of getting infected in the future.
Rejoice,

Glad things are better for you :thumbup:

Here is some reading you may find interesting.
IE Freezes
It's Not Always Malware


Windows Tech Support Forums

Tom Coyote <– Our own forum
PcPitStop <– You can take your system in for a checkup here.
Bleeping Computer <–Good XP Forum
Windows Helpnet <– Excellent XP Forum
Hardwareguys <– Another good one

Speedup Windows
TechBuilder


Windows Tips
Techruler
Kellys Korner





How did I get infected in the first place ? Read these links and find out how to prevent getting infected again.

TonyKlein CastleCops
Grinler BleepingComputer
Geeks To Go

Thanks for using Tom Coyote
Glad we could be of assistance. This topic is now closed. If you wish it reopened, please send us an email (Click for address) with a link to your thread.

Do not bother contacting us if you are not the topic starter. A valid, working link to the closed topic is required along with the user name used. If the user name does not match the one in the thread linked, the email will be deleted.
Make sure you use proper prevention to keep from having problems occur to your computer in the future.

Coyote's Installed programs for prevention:

http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showtopic=31418

The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Visit the CoyoteStore http://TomCoyote.org/coyotestore.php

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI