This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

No Hard Drive Recognozed

12 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello! I've had a recent crash with my computer. When I turn it on, I don't get any farther than the initial "Compaq" screen; At the bottom it gives me three options ESC to enter boot menu; F1 to enter Setup; and F10 for System Restore. The F10 option does not do anything at all, even if I have the button pressed as I press the on button. IF I have the ESC or the F1 button pressed at the same time I turn the computer on, I can get to the respective mode after I wait for about 10 minutes. This does not work for the F10 button. When I go to the boot menu, it asks what I want to boot from. If I press hard drive, I get a blue screen that tells me it didn't complete the process, and try it again - then the same thing happens. If I press CD-ROM drive, it asks for the set up CD; which I don't have because XP was pre-loaded, and I didn't make a boot disc. I tried using an XP CD from my Dell that I have at work, it loads but will not set up. When I go to the (F1) set up menu, I can see that the computer doesn't recognize that I have a hard drive. I tried auto detect, but it still doesn't detect it. It does see the CD ROM. Somehow (I can't remember exactly right this moment because I am at a different computer) I got to the plain black screen where I can type in certain commands. I think it was in the boot menu. It won't allow me to Fixmbr, or chkdsc, rebuild or redirect. It says there is a problem that is not recoverable. This all happened yesterday, after a perfectly normal shut down the previous night. I have DSL internet, and in talking with someone this morning who has the same DSL, they had the same problem occur yesterday, and there was someone else that THEY knew who had the exact same thing happen. Our DSL recently did a mass mailing to advise of some billing changes, and I am wondering if a worm/virus came through that mass mailing. At any rate, is it possible to get my computer to recognize the hard drive? If I order the boot disc from Compaq, will it THEN recognize the hard drive? If my hard drive is shot, and I install a new one, can I bridge the two and try to recover info from the old one? Thank You!
All very good questions.

Here's my order of concern for your type of situation (most commonly occuring:

1. Heat/Air Flow/ BIOS change/ Power Supply Unit weak/failed
1a. CMOS battery failure
2. Hard Drive bad-sectors or mechanical problems
3. Operating System missing or corrupted files
4. Operating System corrupted via Malware
5. RAM Memory Failure.
6. Poor seating/contact of MotherBoard to CPU to HeatSink

First thing to do is to crack open that case and blow out the dust bunnies with compressed air.
While open, check the seating of PCI cards and RAM sticks, as well as IDE ribbons and power connectors.
Of course, check for bulgin capacitors.

Consider removing and then replacing your CMOS battery.
Then boot. The BIOS should have been returned to Default settings.

Consider replacing the CMOS battery. (about $2.50 US)

Next is when I wish you had your Windows installation CD.

Change Boot order to ROM first Hard Drive second, Insert installation CD - Boot
Set the order to boot from the CD Rom 1st and the Hard drive 2nd.

Put your Windows CD in the tray, then "Exit with Saving" the settings (far right tab)

1. Boot with your windows CD
It will take some time as the CD loads various files

2. Type R to Enter the Recovery Console
3. Enter the Administrator password (if there is one)
4. Type: chkdsk c: /r and press Enter << 5. Once completed (if no errors of unrecovery) Type: chkdsk c: /p and press Enter
6. Type: fixboot c: and press Enter
You’ll get a script asking if you are sure you wish to write a new boot sector to C:, Type y (for yes)
You’ll get a script stating that a new boot sector has been written.

7. At the prompt, type (exit) to Boot Normally


Next, if you can boot into SAFE Mode

Clear all of your Temporary and Temporary Internet Files
Next:
Clean up your temporary and temporary internet files.

QUOTE
Here's a complete routine to manually do that:
To clean out all the temporary files and cookies on your system.
Go to
Start - Run - (type) "cleanmgr" without the quotes.
Let it scan your system for files to remove.
Check these three boxes and then press ok to remove:
Temporary Files,
Temporary Internet Files,
Recycle Bin.

Then GoTo:
Start - Find/search - Files or folders - in the named box, type: *.tmp
When the list is generated, choose
Edit - select all - File - delete.

Note: If you cannot delete them all at once because you have too many, then click and hold ctrl and highlight a batch of them at a time. Once highlighted, R-click over the highlight and select delete.

Then use
Start - Run - (type) "%temp%" (without the quotes).
Delete the entire contents of that "temp" folder
(use Edit - Select All - press "Delete", click "Yes").

Then,
Empty your Temporary Internet Cache completely.
Close all instances of Outlook and Internet Explorer,
then use "Control Panel - Internet Options - General tab and click the "Delete File" button.
When prompted place a check in: "Delete all offline content", then click OK.

Then, use Windows Explorer to clean out ALL the other temp folders on your system
(navigate to the folder, (as listed below)
use "Edit - Select All", press "Delete", click "Yes"

* C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\
* C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\
* C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp\

* C:\Windows\Prefetch\

* Empty your "Recycle Bin".

Note: This is a long manual way to clear out .tmp files. It is safe and highly recommended.

Eventually you may wish to use a "tool" to do this procedure for you on a regular basis.
Download: CleanUp! 4.50 from http://www.stevengould.org
Read about all the options for using this device and use it only after you are satisfied that you understand what it will do for you. I use it regularly, and have a squeaky clean computer as a result. I recommend the default setting that are set during installation.


After doing the above routines, do this separate cleaning of your ActiveX, applets and Java routines:
GoTo:
Control Panel - JAVA - (this will open your JAVA Control Panel)
(in some cases the steps might be Control Panel - JAVA plugins)

Once your JAVA Control Panel is open, you will see a Button down toward the bottom of that panel labeled "Delete Files"
Click - Delete Files - OK, Then close your JAVA Control Panel and Reboot.

Note: The current version of JAVA Runtime Environment is Version 8.



Next, Run your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware onboard utilities (update them if you can access internet.
Next, Run online Scans
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.ewido.net/en/

Next run System File Checker
Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow
Your profile says you're running Windows 2000 (same machine?) if so you need that install disk.
(or if running XP you need any retail or oem XP disk. if you are running SP2 you will need the SP2 CD)

If you get this far and still no joy…. it may help to run MemTest86,
or remove RAM and reinsert only one RAM stick at the time, attempting boot between each.

The above should give you some avenues to advance.

Please keep us posted with your progess.

Best Regards
Dough- Thank you very much for the instructions. I will print them and take them home and follow step by step. The profile that is set up in the forum was set up when I had a problem here at the office which runs Windows 2000 Pro; at home I have XP. The home computer came pre-installed with XP and after calling Compaq, I was told that the boot discs would be around $35/us - you mentioned any retail version of XP (SP2). Traditionally the retail version is about twice that cost or more - is there a difference between what Compaq wants to send me and what I can buy? I would definitely purchase the retail version if there would be more benefit for me. It is also becoming apparent to me that the actual placement of my unit is very crucial. It isn't jamed in a corner or anything, it is in a desk where the front and the back are entirely open, and the desk is in a corner which gives the back quite an open space. However since I do a animals the "dust bunnies" that you mentioned occur more often than they do in my office! Is there such a thing as a "screen" for the back of the unit? This would make it more apparent and easier to clean - kind of like a lint filter on a dryer? I'm no fool around a computer, but these seem like elementary questions that I should know the answer to!! :huh:
Because of cost, I'd go with the Compaq Operating System installation CD.
It has the full XP operating system on it, but also has a bunch of proprietary Compaq "bloatware" that displays Compaq logos and includes Compaq utilities for "Compaq online help" etc.
You can later uninstall parts of the Compaq "bloatware" that you don't like/use.

If you've "upgraded" your machine to SP2 and the Compaq installation CD that you receive does not include SP2, you will additionally need the Microsoft SP2 installation CD.
You can get it directly from Microsoft for about $9.00 US., here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx
In the lower right-hand of that page there is a box with blue-background. Click to order the CD.

I mentioned using a retail or OEM cd of XP, because to run System File Checker, your machine will accept "any" XP CD, since the SFC procedure does not require Product Identification Key. If you can borrow one, good. If not, wait for your Compaq CD and SP2 CD. MS says it can take 4 - 6 weeks to deliver SP2 CD, but I've ordered several and they have all come within a week.

regarding "placement" of your Tower under the desk and animal hair problems.
There is not any commercially available "screening" that I know of.
And I would not recommend any "fine mesh" screening. For instance, the type of screen material for a screen-door would be too restrictive of air flow. The only thing that I "might" consider would be a "barracade" type "wire fence" with chicken-wire size mesh. I would only do this if my animals had the bad habit of rubbing up against the back of the tower. Otherwise = open air flow is what you want.

You might be able to reduce hair/lint/dust being scooped into your computer tower, by elevating the Tower one or two inches off the floor/carpet. For instance, if your tower is sitting directly on a carpet, then the front-bottom air intake openings are functioning much like a vacuum cleaner sucking on the carpet.

Best Regards
Dough: Hopefully your still there for my update! Well, I am writing from my home computer. Once I opened up the case and cleaned everything up I found the CMOS battery and replaced it. I'm not sure if the battery was bad or not, or if it was just the BIOS being reset, but when I turned it on, I pressed the F1 and changed the boot order to the CD ROM and than the Save & Exit. When it started to load, the only disc I had was the Dell XP that I had brought home from work, so I quickly pressed the CD ROM drive butten and stuck it in. It started to load windows, and I thought it was loading from the disc, but it had already started to load by the time I got it in the drawer. Low and behold, Windows came up and it was from my hard drive!! I could tell because 1) it loaded fast, and 2) my desktop was there with all of my files!!! Since I had gotten windows to load, I quickly drove to Radio Shack, picked up a dozen blank discs and came home and created the 6 Recovery discs, and also the Recovery Tools Disc that is part of the programs in the PC help that came with the computer. After I was able to do that, I also copied whatever important files that I wanted from the hard drive. Once all of that was done, then I went back and booted up in Safe Mode and did all the things that you told me to do on your list. When I went to the Recovery Console, I did the chkdsk c: /r that you told me to do and I thought it was very strange when it only took about 10 minutes and the Hard drive is 80GB. But I continued with the rest of the instructions. After I did everything up to the virus scans (I didn't want to connect to the internet until I was sure I had a grip on things); I then went to the System Restore and picked out a date from June. After that, I put in the new Recovery Tools disc that I had created, when that booted up, it asked if I wanted to repair the system so I said yes. I let it do it's thing and it said everything was fine. I still wanted to be sure, so I went to My Computer, C Drive, Properties, Tools, and then the "Check Now" tab. There were two boxes to check which I did. and clicked OK. Then I clicked Yes to schedule a full disc scan for when the PC was restarted. I then went to Start, Turn off the computer and clicked restart. The ScanDisk started as soon as the computer started up - that one took almost an hour! At the end, it said that it made some changes, but the information went by so fast on the screen that I didn't catch what the changes or repairs were. I then let the computer completely boot up and connected to the internet, got all of the Norton updates and ran the Virus scan. I also ran Spybot. I also did a defrag of both the C and D drives. As it is very late right now, I will run ewido tomorrow (I already had that installed) and I will also run AdAware. Everything seems to be doing alright now, but even after all the cleaning, the computer seems to run kind of slow - like there is a lot going on in the background. I ran Hijack This, and created a start-up log, I also checked what is in the start-up through the CCleaner program. I have very little in the start-up. Can you tell me what to look for as far as this goes? I think it might be the Norton Security Suite bogging it down, but I'm not sure. Thank you for your instructions - I wouldn't be typing you right now if it wasn't for them!
Dough-
Here is the startup list (just made a new one) and also the hijack this log.

There is a bunch more stuff after this - I checked those two extra boxes prior to the scan, maybe I shouldn't have!

StartupList report, 9/6/2006, 9:47:13 PM
StartupList version: 1.52.2
Started from : C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\HijackThis.EXE
Detected: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Detected: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
* Using default options
* Including empty and uninteresting sections
* Showing rarely important sections
==================================================

Running processes:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\HELPSU~1\VERIZO~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\HELPSU~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Verizon Online\ConnMgr\cmisrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Verizon Online\AppMgr\vzOpenUIServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\OPScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

HERE IS THE REGULAR HIJACK THIS LOG:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:48:09 PM, on 9/6/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\AGRSMMSG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\HELPSU~1\VERIZO~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\HELPSU~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Verizon Online\ConnMgr\cmisrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Verizon Online\AppMgr\vzOpenUIServer.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\OPScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://netservices.verizon.net/portal/site…295c48&nv=A
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Norton Internet Security - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: Norton Internet Security - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpsysdrv] c:\windows\system\hpsysdrv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Recguard] C:\WINDOWS\SMINST\RECGUARD.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VTTimer] VTTimer.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AGRSMMSG] AGRSMMSG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PS2] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ps2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [A Verizon App] C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\HELPSU~1\VERIZO~1.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Motive SmartBridge] C:\PROGRA~1\VERIZO~1\HELPSU~1\SMARTB~1\MotiveSB.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Translate English Word - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmwordtrans.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate Page into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\npjpi142_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Researcher - {9455301C-CF6B-11D3-A266-00C04F689C50} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Encarta Researcher\EROPROJ.DLL
O12 - Plugin for .mpg: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {1F2F4C9E-6F09-47BC-970D-3C54734667FE} (LSSupCtl Class) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/LSSupCtl.cab
O16 - DPF: {74C861A1-D548-4916-BC8A-FDE92EDFF62C} - http://mediaplayer.walmart.com/installer/install.cab
O16 - DPF: {AB86CE53-AC9F-449F-9399-D8ABCA09EC09} (Get_ActiveX Control) - https://h17000.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Secur…loadManager.ocx
O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) - http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/asa/SymAData.cab
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{1A0A0914-E8AD-4AC7-86D7-268B01BD2CB5}: NameServer = 68.237.161.12 71.243.0.12
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: ISSvc (ISSVC) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ISSVC.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program

Thank You
Hi gtbase,

NOTE: I am not a qualified HJT advisor, so I will not be analysing or responding to your HJT Log.
(from the rest of your posted information, there is no compelling reason to suspect Malware at this time)

In response you your inquire related to reducing background/load, these are the items that I would disable in the Start Menu: (These are just my recommendations, and you may have other preferrences)

hkcmd.exe
KBD.EXE
VTTimer.exe
AGRSMMSG.exe
ps2.exe
igfxtray.exe
VERIZO~1.EXE
MotiveSB.exe


ewidoctrl.exe EWIDO Good utility to keep for "scan and repair" but you can run it manually
MSASCui.exe Windows Defender Good utility for protection, but a "hog" I'd disable it.
MSASCui.exe Windows Defender (same as above)

cmisrv.exe Not necessary, but re-enable it if your Verizon connection "complains"
vzOpenUIServer.exe (again verizon) same as above
VERIZO~1.EXE (again verizon) same as above

With regard to the Verizon applications……..
ISP's have an annoying tendency to send a CD along with selling you their broadband service.
When you follow there directions you find that your internet browser proudly announces the Brand, (Verizon in your case) and makes all kinds of Branded help/security/search utilities available to you as a "service to your their customer"

Makes some folks feel kinda "warm and fuzzy" about their ISP loving them so much.

BUT, you don't need the stuff…..At All.
All you really need from Verizon is the internet connectivity, and you get that through the Modem whether or not you install all the other Verizon junk.

Your IE will still browse the internet, as will FireFox (recommended) or Opera if you prefer.

The Verizon application is really just IE with Verizons "bloatware" hanging all over it.
If it were my machine I'd Uninstall all Verizon browser applicaitons using Add/Remove.

Your JAVA Runtime Environment is out of date and the new version corrects for some known vulnerabilities.
Use Add/Remove to Uninstall ALL old copies of JAVA
Go here to download and install the most recent version: (only after uninstalling the old java versions)
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

I'd like to get a better overall picture of your machine's current performance.
Please Run the PCPitstop Full Test, and post a link to the Results (TechExpress) back into this thread.
GoTo: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on Full Tests in the left-hand column
You will be asked to register with a valid email address, and to create a password. Do so.
After receiving your registration confirmation, return to http://www.pcpitstop.com
Again Click on Full Tests
You will be asked to accept an ActiveX that will allow the Test to Run on your machine. It's safe.
Complete the Full Test (takes about 2 minutes)
On your Results Summary Page toward the upper right corner you will see a list, Click on TechExress
Use your mouse to highlight the entire TechExpress link information. Use ctrl-C to Copy.
Return to your thread here in this Forum.
Use ctrl-V to Paste the TechExpress into your reply.

I may be able to give your further/better recommendations after reviewing that information.

Best Regards
Dough

TechExpress link for your current results:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=Z319PWFZBAJSUHYC

Wow - it's kind of scary that all that information was "lifted" from my computer!! I'm trusting you now Dough! :D

I did all that you posted. But, you had MSASCui.exe listed twice, I only found one instance; I couldn't find cmisrv.exe or vzOpenUIServer.exe

I see them in the startup notepad from the HiJack this scan, but Hijack this doesn't offer a place to disable startup items; so I went to Run, "msconfig" and did all the others that way. I will look again though. The two items are listed under programs, so I will go to the program list and see if I can change it that way.
Thanks
Hi gtbase,

When you view your own Results there is one piece of personally identifying information – "you" can see your IP

When you send, and someone views your TechExpress Results, that informationis XXXX'ed out.
Want to test this statement? Click on your TechExpress link in this Thread. You will be treated like any other help Member here, meaning you won't be able to view your IP. The only way you can see your own IP in the Results is to actually go to the pcpitstop site and log in with your user ID and password.
Your "concern" is well taken, but no risk exists.
There is no other personally identifiable information shared in your Results.

There is a ton of useful machine, operating system, software, driver, internet connection, and security information available to you.

Please follow the excellent instructions in:

Customized Tune-up Tips
• Check IE Restricted Sites zone
• Slow Internet performance - bandwidth
• Install more memory
• Adjust IE browser cache size
• Adjust Receive Buffer Size

Each of the above has "how-to" instructions available for your to click, read, and learn.
If you get stuck on any item, post back with your questions.

In addition to the above:

Disable MDM.exe (Microsoft Script Debugger)
1. Open IE
2. Click Tools
3. Select Internet Options
4. Click the Advanced tab
5. Select the Disable Script Debugging checkboxes

Disable Hibernation:
Hibernate enabled Yes
HIBERFIL.SYS present Yes

Go to Display Settings - ScreenSavers - Power Settings - Hibernate
Remove the checkmark from the box in front of Hybernate

disable KBD.EXE (unless you prefer to use the MultiMedia Keys on your keyboard - Volume, play, etc.)



"After you have completed these steps indicated above, please Run the Full Tests again and Post the new TechExpress.

Best Regards
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D} - (no file) O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - {4E7BD74F-2B8D-469E-D0FC-E57AF4D5FA7D} - (no file) Other than these 2 lines that should be removed with hijackthis the log does not display any malware. :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI