This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Operating system not found

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I am back home again. A few days ago, I was using a software program to watch TVs for about an hour or so, then I clicked on close trying to close the program. However, the program froze, so I used Ctrl, Alt + Del–many times–trying to force closing down my computer and Windows Task Manager just would not show up. So I ended up having to close my computer down manually through a power off button on the keyboard. After that, each time I tried to turn on my computer, it just said "Operating system not found." I bought this Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop since 2003 and have been taking very good care of it whether it is software or hardware. So then I tried to reinstall Windows XP with a Windows XP CD Rom, my computer was able to run the CD Rom and offered me a few setup choices–Enter (to continue setup), R (to repair with recovery console), F3 (to quit). I tried them all and nothing worked. Here is what I got when I hit Enter, "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct, This may involve a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue, to quit setup, press F3." Besides that, I can hear the "dead beats" or loud clicking sounds from my computer. All of these had never ever happened before. Could somebody here please help? Thanks very much!
Tom your hard drive has suffered catastrophic failure. It must be replaced, and everything reloaded. Data recovery at this point will require highly specialized equipment and the service possibly costing hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI