Have just bought a Dell poweredge 1300.
Cannot get the sound card to work. - message is 'Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.'
I have
Unimodem half duplex audio device
audio codecs
legacy audio drivers
media control devices
legacy video capture devices
video codecs
Have tried all the advoce from windows help for all thats worth!.
have deleted the unimodem device and reinstalled
have looked for relevant drivers on the internet
I am at my wits end and as a bedroom dj am missing my mixing!
Help me please!!
Steve H.
I'm a little puzzled about this one.
Granted, I am used to addressing issues with PC's, but to the best of my knowledge, this "Server" is not set up to provide the ordinary functions of a Desktop computer. Rather, it is designed to link other machines which are most likely PC's or workstations, linked via the Server into a small network environment.
Browsing for this server, shows many available at about $390, but they have a CPU (generally a PIII) and not much else. Even the "available accessories" do not list components to process and play media.
Therefore, it is not often that you would see peripherals designed for an owner/user to use this machine as a stand-alone full featured Desktop Computer.
I don't know. Maybe there are enough PCI and AGP type expansion slots in your machine to "add-on" enough stuff to make it into a Desktop computer, but it doesn't seem likely to me.
What operating system do you have installed on the machine?
They most often come with Microsoft Small Business Server.
I'm even reluctant to post this, for fear that a ton of other members will chime in to say how satisfied they are with using their Dell PowerEdge 1300 as a Desktop Computer, running Windows XP with a full range of peripherals.
But I'm going to take the plunge and suggest that you've got a machine that you may not be able to use in the manner that you expected.
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I'll get over being embarassed about it.
Best Regards
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI