This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Sound No Sound

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a Dell Latitude D610 pentium M with a sigmatel c-major audio sound card stac 97, that I received from my company. From the moment I turned it on it had no welcome, good by or alert sounds, if I put in a cd it would play just fine but the the volume controls and mute would not work, if I put in a dvd I would get a vidio but no sound. I went through the standard routines to try and fix the problem, unload/ load drivers, uncheck/check all the sound settings no help, but the dell diag, and dx diag both had full function. I spent over two hours with dell on line support no change. Now here is what I see, my sound codecs on the dell only lists two entries 1. fraunhofer IIS mpeg layer 3 codec, and 2. microsoft PCM converter. My vidio codecs on the dell is empty. I compared that to my HP 6000 with xp H.E. and the sound showed 11 total entries and the vidio showed at least as many. I really could use some help. thanks Ron
No running xp pro. I did go out and buy a software program that fixed the dvd sound/vidio problem, but I still don,t have any computer sounds.
Dell latitude D610 laptop, the sound card is Sigmatel c-major stac97 and is part of the unit. I have uninstalled and reinstalled software several times. Have not checked the bios yet, can't figure which f-key to hit a startup but I have run both dell and direct x diag programs and everything works from there with no conflicts. Also even though I have show speaker icon in the tray, there is none, the volume contro tab, mute button, and f-key volume control do not work. The one thing that hits me as strange is the lack of vidio codecs (none listed), and sound codecs (two listed). I will be leaving soon for the Padres/Redsoxs game 1:10 start, will check back in later this evening. Thanks Ron
BIOS - SETUP access on an older Laptop that I presently have on my desk is F2
(Inspiron 8200)

Access to BIOS on the older Dells that I've run is - DEL <– the delete key
DEL accesses BIOS on the following Dell machines

XPS 600r
XPS 8300, 8250,8200, 8100
Dimension 4500

Hope the above helps.

Have you simply tried loading a Codec bundle.

I use, and I believe that BizarreBob sometimes recommends the K-Lite Codec group.

Best Regards
Doug Thanks for the information, loaded the k-lite codecs like you recommended, but it didn't help totally. As of right now I have sound through the laptop speakers and external speaker jack when I play a CD, and I now have Sound & video when I play a DVD (thats a plus lol), but still no computer sounds. Is there a separate midi type program that controls all the windows xp computer sounds, because every time I try to set GS wave table SW synth as the default I'll highlight it, apply it, close out, and when I go back to check, it's blank again. I just want to say thanks to all of you that have responded with helpful suggestions. Ron

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI