This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Computer Space

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a five year old, 37.2 GB PC running XP. I have a couple questions… As of right now I have 7.7 GB of free space. In it's self will having only this much space effect the speed at which my computer runs? My next question may be a bit confusing but I will try my best… Back in December I re-installed XP on my computer after it was filled with malware and viruses. Since then I have added AVG, Microsoft Anti-spyware, Spybot, Zone Alarm, Panda Activescan, and I regularly check my HJT file. I am almost 100% positive I have no viruses or malware. As well I run ATF-Cleaner to clear up access space and manually delete all my cookies, temp, etc. as well (it is set to only store 381 mb any ways). I also recognize (and use) all my programs. My problem is I'm missing a lot of unaccounted for space, could it be beacause of my re-installation of XP? Here is how I believe the space should break down after lots of checking (4 users)… -My documents (18.1 GB, mostly my iPod) -3 other users combined + shared documents (415 MB) -Programs (1.8 GB) -Windows (2.44 GB) -other files on hard drive (9.5 mb) What am I missing ? That should be 22.76 GB. Meaning 14.44 GB of free space right? Not 7.7 GB like I have.
What procedure did you use when you reinstalled Windows that makes you think more than one copy of an operating system may be present? Have you considered your System Restore as a potential hog of Hard Drive space. Unless you have adjusted Space used for System Restore, then it is claiming 12% of your Hard Drive Space reserved for Restore Points, whether or not it ever gets filled up. That's about 4.5gigs on your drive. It is unlikely that a machine needs more than a few hundred mega bytes for System Restore Points, yet Windows claims 12% regardless of how big the Hard Drive is. You might want to Reduce that amount to about 3 % or even less. (3% would be just over 1 gig) So you may reclaim as much as 3.5 gigs in this situation. That may help you out, though I'd would need more information to start figuring out your actual question. Best Regards
Thank You for the information on the system restore. I did not know it could work fine at 3%. EDIT: When I re-installed I used a disc. I'm pretty sure I got rid of the old OS (because for awhile I could select either one, but then I deleted it). I just wasn't sure if re-installing it could have any ill effects on my computer.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI