This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

CnsMin, unremovable at startup

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

I've got the CnsMin adware which is spread by 3721.com in Beijing. I'm running Win XP SP1. I've managed to limit its effectiveness by giving key dll files minimal permissons - if I delete or rename the files the resident program (whatever it is) puts them back immediately.

That's the real problem - some process is started early in the boot process which frustrates any attempt to remove key files, registry entries, startup entries, etc.

I can remove the offenders in regedit, msconfig boot startup, even hijackthis, and it's back right away. I don't know every startup file in Windows (does anyone) but it looks like I might spend weeks searching them.

I'm adding a HijackThis log, done in safe mode. Any help, of course, is SO appreciated! Note, the CnsMin is listed in the O4 section, and CnsHook in O2. Checking the box and fixing doesn't remove them.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:38:18 PM, on 8/2/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Tom Sprott\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\oygj7061.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: IE - {D157330A-9EF3-49F8-9A67-4141AC41ADD4} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\CnsHook.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CnsMin] Rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\CnsMin.dll,Rundll32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrackPointSrv] tp4serv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPHOTKEY] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TP4EX] tp4ex.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] "C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe" /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QCTRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\CONNEC~1\Qctray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMGAG] RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\pwrmonit.dll,StartPwrMonitor
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WG511v2 Wireless Assistant.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\npjpi150_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\npjpi150_03.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1149268061004
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1149268811723
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: IBM PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ibmpmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: QCONSVC - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
Hi byron_sneeder and welcome to the TomCoyote forums.
My name is Vino Rosso - if it helps, you can call me
Vino for short. I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems. HijackThis logs can take a little time to research and, while I complete my training, all my recommended fixes will be checked by an expert.

Please be patient and I'd be grateful if you would note the following:
  • I will working on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.
  • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clear. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.
  • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference.
  • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
  • Finally, please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
OK, can you please post another HijackThis log taken in Normal mode so I can see all entries.

Thanks

Vino
Vino, I appreciate your response, but it sounds like a form letter. There's no indication you have any idea about my specific problem and you want a HJT dump of my normal system - what's wrong with the safe mode HJT? It shows the offenders clearly. I still can't kill this one… if you or anyone have specific advice I'm listening here! If I've made a mistake or offended you I am terribly sorry. I just wonder about posting further system information to a vague response. -t.
Hi
When you boot into Safe Mode many programs do not run and dll files are not loaded. It is possible that there are files on your system that might be causing problems that will not show up unless the PC is booted normally. I cannot be certain of clearing your problem without seeing the full picture. Please let me know if you wish to proceed and post another HJT log from a normally booted system.

Thanks

Vino
Hi byron_sneeder

After consulting with my colleagues on the problems around removing CnsMin, and there are many, can you also provide a list of installed programs.

Open HijackThis and select Open the Misc Tools section
Click on the Open Uninstall Manager
Select the Save List button
I suggest that you accept the default name of uninstall_list.txt and save the file to your desktop
Close HijackThis

Please post back with the uninstall list and a new HJT log.

Thanks

Vino
Hi Vino,

OK, you sound legit - I'm really sorry about that. I'm seeing threats everywhere these days, I guess. Here are the things you requested (by the way, if you are looking for an add/remove entry for "Chinese characters", I think I successfully got rid of it).

Access ThinkPad
Ad-Aware SE Personal
Adobe Acrobat 5.0
Audacity 1.2.4
Canon IXY 200a, PowerShot S200, IXUS v2 WIA Driver
Canon PhotoRecord
Canon Utilities PhotoStitch 3.1
Canon Utilities RAW Image Converter2
Canon Utilities RemoteCapture 2.4
Canon Utilities ZoomBrowser EX
Carrara Studio
ccCommon
EasyCleaner
Genesis3D11
GiPo@MoveOnBoot 1.9.5
Google Earth
HijackThis 1.99.1
IBM Access Connections
IBM Rapid Restore PC Setup
IBM ThinkPad Access Support
IBM ThinkPad Power Management Driver
IBM ThinkPad Utility Wizard
IBM TrackPoint Accessibility Features
IBM TrackPoint Support
IBM Update Connector
Image Resizer Powertoy for Windows XP
Intel® PRO Ethernet Adapter and Software
Internet Worm Protection
J2SE Development Kit 5.0 Update 3
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 3
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.1_01
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.1_02
Java 2 SDK, SE v1.4.1_01
Java Web Start
LiveReg (Symantec Corporation)
LiveUpdate 3.0 (Symantec Corporation)
Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004
Macromedia Extension Manager
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB886903)
Microsoft Office 2000 Professional
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 Professional Edition
Mozilla Firefox (1.5.0.6)
MWD Demo
Namo WebEditor 6
Nero - Burning Rom
NETGEAR WG511v2 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card
Netscape (7.2)
Norton AntiVirus 2005
Norton AntiVirus 2005 (Symantec Corporation)
Norton AntiVirus Help
Norton AntiVirus Parent MSI
Norton AntiVirus SYMLT MSI
Norton WMI Update
Python 2.3
RealPlayer
Security Update for Step By Step Interactive Training (KB898458)
Security Update for Windows Media Player (KB911564)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 8 (KB917734)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 (KB911565)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 (KB917734)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896424)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB901017)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB901190)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB904706)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB905414)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB908519)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB911567)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB911927)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB912919)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB913580)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB914389)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB916281)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB917159)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB917344)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB917422)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB917953)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB918899)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB920214)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB920670)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB921398)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB921883)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB922616)
SPBBC
Spy Sweeper
Super Rabbit Magic Set
Symantec
Symantec Script Blocking Installer
SymNet
ThinkPad Configuration for Win2000/XP
ThinkPad Software Installer
TreeSize 1.75
Uninstall PC-Doctor
Update for Windows XP (KB898461)
Update for Windows XP (KB900485)
Update for Windows XP (KB908531)
Update for Windows XP (KB910437)
Update for Windows XP (KB911280)
Update for Windows XP (KB916595)
Vim 6.1 (self-installing)
Wenlin version 3.0
Windows Defender
Windows Defender Signatures
Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
Windows XP Hotfix - KB873339
Windows XP Hotfix - KB885835
Windows XP Hotfix - KB885836
Windows XP Hotfix - KB886185
Windows XP Hotfix - KB887472
Windows XP Hotfix - KB888113
Windows XP Hotfix - KB888302
Windows XP Hotfix - KB890859
Windows XP Hotfix - KB891781
Windows XP Service Pack 2
WinZip
ZoneAlarm

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 6:38:42 PM, on 8/12/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tp4serv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\CONNEC~1\Qctray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\NETGEAR\WG511v2\wlancfg5.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\osk.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\MSSWCHX.EXE
C:\Downloads\HijackThis.exe

N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Tom Sprott\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\oygj7061.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: IE - {D157330A-9EF3-49F8-9A67-4141AC41ADD4} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\CnsHook.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CnsMin] Rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\CnsMin.dll,Rundll32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TrackPointSrv] tp4serv.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPHOTKEY] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\PkgMgr\HOTKEY\TPHKMGR.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TP4EX] tp4ex.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] "C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe" /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QCTRAY] C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\CONNEC~1\Qctray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BMMGAG] RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\ThinkPad\UTILIT~1\pwrmonit.dll,StartPwrMonitor
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: NETGEAR WG511v2 Wireless Assistant.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\npjpi150_03.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_03\bin\npjpi150_03.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/…b?1149268061004
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat…b?1149268811723
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{102F081E-A141-4C6E-B6C4-08121DEBD1A8}: NameServer = 202.103.225.68 202.103.224.68
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WgaLogon - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WgaLogon.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WRNotifier - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WRLogonNTF.dll
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: IBM PM Service (IBMPMSVC) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ibmpmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\1050\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Macromedia Licensing Service - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macromedia Shared\Service\Macromedia Licensing.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: QCONSVC - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\QCONSVC.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (WebrootSpySweeperService) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
Hi Byron_Sneeder

As you know, CnsMin is a real pain to get rid of and this may take us several attempts.

OK, let's try this first…

1 - Stop processes
Using Task Manager, stop the following processes
Press the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys together to open Task Manager
Click the 'Processes' tab
Click on 'Image Name' to sort the processes alphabetically
Scroll down, right-click and select 'End Process' on the following entries (if they exist)
OK any warnings

RunDll32.exe
Close the Task Manager

2 - Rename dll file
Start > Run > Type cmd and click on OK
A command window will open
Type the following at the prompt/cursor

cd "%WinDir%\Downloaded Program Files" press Enter
ren CnsMin.dll CnsDel.dll press Enter
Then Reboot your PC

3 - Delete Cns files
Open the the Command window again via:
Start > Run > Type cmd and click on OK
Type the following at the prompt/cursor

cd "%WinDir%\Downloaded Program Files" press Enter
del cns*.* press Enter
Type Y or Yes to any warning about deleting the files

The first time you reboot after deleting or moving CnsMin you may get an error about not being able to find it. Ignore this for now.


4 - Run HJT Scan
Run a scan with HijackThis and tick the following entries, if present:

O2 - BHO: IE - {D157330A-9EF3-49F8-9A67-4141AC41ADD4} - C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\CnsHook.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CnsMin] Rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\DOWNLO~1\CnsMin.dll,Rundll32
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{102F081E-A141-4C6E-B6C4-08121DEBD1A8}: NameServer = 202.103.225.68 202.103.224.68
<== Please see note below before ticking this line in HijackThis

NB This IP address belongs to CHINANET. If this is your Internet Service Provider then do not tick this entry in HijackThis.

Close all windows except HijackThis
Select Fix Checked in HijackThis.

Re-boot your PC.

4 - Status Check
With your next reply, please post:
- a new HJT log

Remember, it's worth printing these instructions out before you start.

Good Luck

Vino
Hi Vino, I appreciate your help. I think we're both at about the same point in this battle now. As for renaming and later deleting CnsMin.dll, I have found it is easier to change the permissions on it to unreadable - that way whatever process is lurking in the background doesn't know it's gone - when I rename and/or delete it, it returns immediately. So, I get the message when I log in, from rundll32, that it can't read the .dll. So I think the thing is somewhat neutralized. I also avoid IE which is contaminated with BHO's. I tried your advice, to kill rundll32.exe and then using HJT to remove the items you suggested, but I've done this before and as before everything reappears right away. Something is in the startup and I just don't have the knowledge to find it - I was talking to someone recently and he said a reinstall was the best option! Anyway, Vino, I have to put this computer and this spyware issue on the shelf as I am leaving for a while. I'm sorry to drop things like this, but if you are still here in about two months maybe we can pick it up then. Again, thanks for your help and good luck to anyone reading this who has CnsMin. (The quickest workaround is to change permissions on your CnsMin.dll to nothing - in Unix-ese, that's chmod 000 CnsMin.dll. I use a Unix shell on Windows, I think Windows itself must have an equivalent way. That will give you a measure of safety). Thanks again Vino, and talk to you in a while.
Hi Byron_Sneeder

As mentioned in my previous post, this was just the first step before possibly utilising various tools that could help us seek out issues deeper in your PC's system.

I note that you are now away for two months - I hope you enjoy whatever you are doing and it goes well. I suspect this thread will be closed by the time you return so the best option is to post a new HijackThis log in a new thread. Of course, if in the meantime you solve the CnsMin problem yourself, the forum members and I would be grateful if you could post your success story :D

Regards

Vino

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI