This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win XP home multi users and programs ?

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, This may be a really easy one. :oops: We have Win XP home edition and have figured out the basics except for some programs that when installed go to all users….for instance… My desktop discover card. Its a program that fills forms and generates charge card numbers for online purchases. I installed it to my user and it is also on my kids and acts as a pop up whenever a form prompts it. or My daughters Yahoo messenger everytime any user logs on to their account this thing pops up and starts. We don't want it we are hassled by it. Only my daughter wants it on her account. I assume I am at error when installing and I must have not selected the proper install. Now that we have these how do we get rid of them on the user accounts where they don't belong? Thanks so much for helping me out. I really appreciate the time you spend. :wavey:
Hi meezers,

This may be a really easy one.


Yes, and No. Setting up multiple User Accounts takes a significant amount of time and attention in the beginning, but once set up, each user is free to personalize their accounts, preferences, appearance, and stored data.

Here's a beginer's Tutorial, that covers the basics.
http://www.pcw.co.uk/computeractive/featur…p-user-accounts

The above tutorial presumes that each user is literally "a good guy" and that you as Administrator/Owner do not suspect or anticipate that any of the created user accounts will be used maliciously to exploit applications that you as Administrator wish to restrict, or maliciously exploit data that belongs to one user by another.

Data "owned" by any one user account is "generally" safe from all other users except the Administrator.
However, "there are ways" to work around default level separation of accounts and user data.

And "however again", it is possible to do some "relatively high level" permission "allowing" and "disallowing" that will give the Administrator a solid control over the machine's use.

On the otherhand, if yours is a friendly family that is not going to be doing things behind each other's back, you may be just fine with the default levels of profile, application, and data separation.

Windows XP is set up to do exactly what you are enquiring about. Follow the tutorial in the link, and you'll probably get the hang of it.

If you require more rigid control, please ask specific questions.
If you need even more thorough control features, you may need Win XP Pro, but I believe that some of the "Registry Fix" control that can be put in place will serve to increase the level of control to a security that few general users would be able to get around.

By mentioning "malicious activity" I do not infer that you or your family had such a thing in mind. I apologize if my language suggests anything different.

Your family should be able to "enjoy" the computer that you use in common! That's what you got it for.

I more often encounter need for additional permissions, restrictions, and safeguards when a computer or group of computers is generally accessed by the public…… for instance in School Computer Labs.
There is no end to the Mischief that a student/prankster can accomplish if the Administrator is not "heads-up" from the very beginning.

Final word: Each User Account should be a "Limited User Account" and only one account should be given full permissions of Administrator and that Administrator Account should be Password Protected. The person who is Administrator should also have a "Limited User Account" where they do most of their computer related work, except when updating, installing, modifying or making changes in the Operating System or Internet Access. This "Final Word" should be the case, even in a friendly family, so that less savvy Users cannot accidentally make changes that could compromise other users.

Best Regards
Thank you I will look at the link information. I had tried to research this before coming here. The info I found told me the basics I had already done. The more advanced I did not understand. I didn't want to make changes I did not understand because I did not want to screw up what was working okay. We have the accounts set up as you say. We are not concerned about "malicious activity" at all. This is an annoyance issue. Mostly for me, similar to leaving empty packages in the pantry or empty milk jugs in the fridge. I have enough in my life to annoy me and this was one more thing I don't need. Just hoping to make my computer more of an escape. :) Thank you I read through the link and it says…."Click on the Start menu, then All Programs and then right-click on Set Program Access and Defaults. " I use a classic menu and do not have this on my computer. The start menu does not contain "All Programs" There is a "programs" and that gives me a list of programs but there is no "Set Program Access and Defaults. " in the list.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI