How do I effectively duplicate user account settings to additional user accounts. You see, I understand that the admin account should be limited use for sys management, and that running as a limited user will go a long way towards protecting me from rootkit threats.
Just a step by step Win xp home instruction will do.
If users, routinely use "Administrator" accounts for using the Internet it can seriously compromise your computer, as any malicious code that finds it's way to you, can use the Administrators privileges to infiltrate your system and write to the Registry.
Using a limited account, improves security but can reduce functionality, so it's a good idea to do a little research before proceeding.
Here is a link which gives you a step by step guide to setting up the accounts, including very useful screen shots.
If users, routinely use "Administrator" accounts for using the Internet it can seriously compromise your computer, as any malicious code that finds it's way to you, can use the Administrators privileges to infiltrate your system and write to the Registry.
Using a limited account, improves security but can reduce functionality, so it's a good idea to do a little research before proceeding.
Here is a link which gives you a step by step guide to setting up the accounts, including very useful screen shots.
If users, routinely use "Administrator" accounts for using the Internet it can seriously compromise your computer, as any malicious code that finds it's way to you, can use the Administrators privileges to infiltrate your system and write to the Registry.
Using a limited account, improves security but can reduce functionality, so it's a good idea to do a little research before proceeding.
Here is a link which gives you a step by step guide to setting up the accounts, including very useful screen shots.
As you can see it's by Microsoft so is authoritative.
Regards
paws
Thank you, Paws:
However, I already knew that information and have used several other more thorough sources regarding migrating (copying) files and settings and have not had success. The problem is: I cannot access the source account files to copy files and settings from when in the required third (temp) account (you must be logged off and out of both the account you are copying from and to). Error says account in use even though I'm in the third account and logged off all others. Probably a simple fix. Got any ideas?
Oh yeah, tried the files and settings transfer tool early on and that didn't do it.
Oh, one more thing……….I named the account from which I wish to migrate settings with a space in the name. Could that be why I cannot access the files for that user in 'docs and settings'?
gt
Hi,
This is usually a very simple process, so you either have a system fault, or it's operator error.
Don't forget you will only be able to access shared folders from your limited account.
The spaces don't matter.
Try again using your Main System Administrator Account (shared folders (not just a user account with Administrator privileges and see how you get on.
Regards
paws
Hi,
This is usually a very simple process, so you either have a system fault, or it's operator error.
Don't forget you will only be able to access shared folders from your limited account.
The spaces don't matter.
Try again using your Main System Administrator Account (shared folders (not just a user account with Administrator privileges and see how you get on.
Regards
paws
Hi,
This is usually a very simple process, so you either have a system fault, or it's operator error.
Don't forget you will only be able to access shared folders from your limited account.
The spaces don't matter.
Try again using your Main System Administrator Account (shared folders (not just a user account with Administrator privileges and see how you get on.
Regards
paws
OK……..I will try it from safe mode admin.
Happy New Years in about 6 hrs.
gt
Guess I'm back……….tired, but back:
Some hours of screwed up restores after trying to grant permissions/ownership in admin safe mode to relevant files in 'docs and settings' to migrate/copy to new users admin (soon to be limited) acct. Still was not able to access contents of primary admin account. See, my settings I want to copy are in an account I cannot access. Wherever I am (third account, not copy from or copy 2) I always get error: disk full or unavailable and reads empty when I pause cursor over it.
I'm in xp Home and I would like to add an account identical (except for 'my docs') to the single admin user account named [Xxxx Xxxxxxx]. I'm trying to get two accounts with same settings, one admin and one limited.
The web has very little to offer on this (including MS). Any ideas?
To protect yourself set up a new user account
1 Control panel User accounts
2 Choose limited account
Follow on screen instructions.
Back in your old account with Administrator privileges or preferably using the main Administrator account
Add the required user permissions as detailed here:
To protect yourself set up a new user account
1 Control panel User accounts
2 Choose limited account
Follow on screen instructions.
Back in your old account with Administrator privileges or preferably using the main Administrator account
Add the required user permissions as detailed here:
You will need to scroll about half way down, there should be no need to use "Restore" at all
When you next log on to your limited account you will be able to access the folders/files that you previously granted permissions on.
Your limited account is, as it says, limited, it is not intended to have the same access rights as an Admin account.
Regards
paws
Thanks Paws but there is obviously a problem in my system that is not redily apparant. I'm just going to do a reinstall, hopfully saving a backup of my settings (state).
Thanks for the attention, and I will utilize the permissions info you researched for me once I get back up.
Happy New Year!
gt
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI