Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Windows Installer/Walmart Music download problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Squeegee

Squeegee

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:44 PM

Hello My sister was recently trying to download music off of the Walmart music download center. She has done this in the past without a problem, but this time when she clicked to get to the download page she was prompted to download the "required update." Below is the message: A required update is available for Wal-Mart Music Downloads... You must accept this update to use Wal-Mart Music Downloads. Click Continue to install. If you want to delay the installation until a later time, close your browser window or visit a different Web page. Seeing no reason not to download this, and because the site can not be accessed without the download, she continued. The download started and goes to a Windows Installer screen that says "Preparing to install." At this point the download appears to freeze as nothing happens for over 15 minutes. I have tried to delete and uninstall windows installer and reinstall it but that has not worked. When I try to install "Windows Installer 3.1" it says it needs to remove windows installer but is unable to. It also prompts us to restart the computer but when we try to do that the computer screen goes blank and does not restart, but the computer power light is on the whole time. I'm not sure how related or unrelated this things may be, but any help would be much appreciated!!

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:45 PM

Is this where you're getting Windows Installer 3.1?
http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

If so, you got the right one.
In addition to the download, The article has information to identify your old Windows Installer that may help you uninstall it prior to installing 3.1

On the otherhand, since Microsoft was having difficulty with Windows Installer version which are now replaced by version 3.1, Walmart may have written their downloader to suite an older version that had problems. I'd also try to contact Walmart and read other peoples comments if they have a support forum.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 Micah_6:8

Micah_6:8

Evilware Emancipator

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts
  • Interests:Web (Perl, PHP, JavaScript, HTML) programming, CNC programming, Squashing spyware!

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:19 PM

An alternative is to use the "Classic Store" (link on this page):

Walmart Music Downloads

It doesn't require any software to be installed on your machine.

At one time, their software was causing IE errors on our machine - I dumped it.

The second time around, we could never, EVER, get the downloads to work properly.

I think their "new and improved" software is BULL! :rant2:

Use the "Classic Store", instead. That's the one my Daughter uses.

Another tip: Always play the song right after you download it. That way you acquire the DRM license. Without it, WMP won't play it.

:) :thumbup:

Edited by Micah_6:8, 28 May 2006 - 08:20 PM.

Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

The help you receive here is free.
If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online.

Want to help others? Join the ClassRoom and learn how.

Download Hijack This! My Website: UnSpyMe!

#4 Squeegee

Squeegee

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!! I've haven't been able to work on in much, but I'll update if anything happens.