Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

No Local Area Connection Icon under Network Connections

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 -Valg-

-Valg-

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:10 PM

Hello, I want to run the internet through a ethenet cable. When i plug in a ethernet cable into the LAN port in the back off my computer and turn off the wireless connection i dont get any activity. When i look under Network Connections i can see a Firewire Icon and my Wireless Connetion Icon, but no LAN icon is there even though i have the ethernet cable pluged in. My friend told me that my Network Drivers needed to be updated, so i updated them and still no luck. Please Help

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Eumic

Eumic

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Fixing and Improving my computer performance.<br />To Learn more bout computers from other people knowledges.

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:30 AM

You must install Via Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter Device Type: Network Adapters Manufacturer: Via Tachnologies, Inc Location: PCI bus 0, device 18, function 0 This driver lets you used LAN connections to other computer. It has a WORKGROUP connections to be able to play EX: Counter Strike I am searching now where to download this driver but If you know, let me know or just install it to your machine. Wish you all the best Eumic B)

Edited by Eumic, 24 May 2006 - 06:31 AM.

#3 Juliet

Juliet

SuperHelper

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 7,686 posts
  • Interests:Boo!....
  • MVP

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:11 AM

Read this Microsoft link for troubleshooting.
How to troubleshoot missing network connections icons in Windows XP

Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings...

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2016, WI-MVP 2016-17
Antivirus Scanners Online Scanners Firewalls Slow Computer??

#4 -Valg-

-Valg-

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:32 AM

the link that you supplied said that just the icon was missing but the network would still work. In my case i cant see it and it doesnt retain its ability to connect to the internet. :angry:

#5 Juliet

Juliet

SuperHelper

• 7,686 posts
  • MVP

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:45 AM

Have you checked device manager for corrupt or missing drivers.?
Using Device Manager

You may need to uninstall it and have windows add it back.

Go To:
http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on Full Test
Register and Activate (takes about 2 minutes and is free)
It may ask to install an Active X tool...this is quite safe
Run Full Test (Takes about 3 minutes on dial-up)
Copy and Past the TechExpress link from your test Results, back into this Thread.
We'll then be able to give you more informed feedback and suggestions.

Sometimes the angels fly close enough to you that you can hear the flutter of their wings...

#6 -Valg-

-Valg-

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

http://www.pcpitstop...EK1PW7SMDJSSVMQ

Hope this helps

Edited by -Valg-, 24 May 2006 - 12:21 PM.

#7 Juliet

Juliet

SuperHelper

• 7,686 posts
  • MVP

Posted 24 May 2006 - 01:44 PM

It shows me a few things.....
You have several items listed that should be disabled at startup.......

File Name Description
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe QuickTime Icon
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe Apple iTunes
C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe AOL IM
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe ATI taskbar icon
C:\NVIDIA\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcIp.exe NetworkAccessManager
C:\NVIDIA\NetworkAccessManager\bin\nSvcLog.exe Connection logfile
C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\RemCtrl\ATIRW.exe Ati Remote Wonder
C:\Program Files\ATI Multimedia\main\launchpd.exe ATI Multimedia Center
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe Sun Java Update
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\type32.exe Microsoft keyboard
C:\Program Files\ewido anti-malware\ewidoctrl.exe Ewido Control
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe iPod Service
C:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE Realtek Sound Manager
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe ATI Hotkey Utility
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\X3watch\x3watch.exe
C:\Program Files\ZyXEL\G-302v2\G-302v2.exe
C:\Program Files\ZyXEL\G-302v2\tiwlnsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe (Various)

How to use MSCONFIG

StartupList Index...@CastleCops

Please remember to click on selective startup for these changes to be made.

Junk files 1007 MB (1%) .................oh my stars!!
Let's get that under control.......

Close all windows and programs, then:

Clean out all the temporary files and cookies on your system. Go to Start > Run and enter: cleanmgr. Let it scan your system for files to remove. Check these three boxes and then press ok to remove: Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin.

Also, go to Start > Find/search > Files or folders > in the named box, type: *.tmp and choose Edit > select all -> File > delete

Then use "Start > Run" and type in "%temp%" (without the quotes). Delete the entire contents of that "temp" folder (use "Edit > Select All", press "Delete", click "Yes").
Then, Empty your Temporary Internet Cache completely. Close all instances of Outlook and and Internet Explorer, then use "Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab" and click the "Delete File" button. When prompted place a check in: "Delete all offline content", then click OK

An extra free Temps cleaner to use that is free and I use myself....
How to use CleanUp!

by Steven R. Gould

Data fragmentation 33% .........oh my stars!........Defrag and soon.

TIP > Adjust Browser Cache Size
The maximum size of your Internet Explorer browser cache is 4769 megabytes This is a larger value than recommended.
Here's how to adjust the IE cache size:

1.)Start Internet Explorer
2.)Select Tools | Internet Options | General
3.)Under Temporary Internet Files click the Settings button.
4.)In the box for the amount of disk space to use, enter a value between 10 and 100 megabytes.
5.)Click OK to accept the changes.

#8 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:37 PM

Hi -Valg-, You and a bzillion others are having difficulty with the drivers for the onboard ethernet network interface driven by nVidia Nforce_xxxx. I imagine that your are also running the nVidia Firewall? Getting the settings right for that firewall is tricky. Of course, the first easy fix possibility is to completely uninstall everything nVidia via Add/Remove and Device manager and then do a complete fresh re-installation of the nVidia drivers. You will find that the necessary network access manager drivers are on the CD that comes with your MotherBoard, That CD includes your MotherBoard Chipset Drivers also. Let the CD install the whole works. If the problem persists after a fresh installation, you "may" get some assistance at the nVidia website. However, be forewarned that the problem list in their forums is long, and their answer list is short. I'm not saying they are unwilling to help, just that they apparently haven't got good responses posted yet for many of the problems. Now if you get to the point where you are ready to throw your machine through the window. (I recommend that you open the window first), ...........you still have some cheap options. You can buy a cheap Network Interface PCI card and plug it into one of your empty PCI slots. Install the accompanying software from the included CD and you are good to go. (Some people are insulted by this recommendation because they insist that they already have onboard ethernet capability "that should work.") I hope my earlier recommendation works for you: -- "re-install" everything Chipset and nVidia from the MotherBoard resource CD. If it doesn't, then you have a decision to make about how much time and effort you want to put into tweaking your onboard resources, vs. a $9-$15 NIC card. If you do get your nVidia drivers up and running and get access to the internet via your onboard resources, you still have a decision to make about the nVidia Firewall.... which many users have found to be quite "buggie". You can disable the nVidia Firewall completely and install the Free ZoneAlarm Firewall. For those who are more technologically savvy than me, please note that I am recommending only the "easy" and "inexpensive" solutions. I'll bet there are many techs who could cut through this problem like a hot knife through butter. However, "in my opinion" the process of tweaking and configuring this nVidia ethernet system can be quite complicated and time consuming as compared to plugging in a third-party NIC card. If it doesn't work with a fresh installation of Chipset drivers and nVidia drivers, consider a NIC card.
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#9 Weasle

Weasle

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:51 AM

try installing the disk of ur motherboard in CD, you can find there ethernet controller i think just install it

#10 daboss101

daboss101

• Authentic Member
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

YO im having a same issue but my problem is that im missing the DHCP CLIENT SERVICE under services :thumbup: check and see if your dhcp client service is there if so click start then start your rpc locater and BAMMMM you should be ready to go if not then you need to check the registry which mine is also missing to see if Dhcp is located under service

#11 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hi Weasle and welcome to the WTT forums :welcome: Your contributions are valued (as are those of daboss101), however the topic you are responding to was last active almost 3 years ago.......... in May 2006 Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#12 nasirmazhar

nasirmazhar

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:34 AM

If you have XP then right click your My Computer icon, click on properties, then the hardware tab, then device manager. There should be a category called network adapters, if not then see if there are any devices with a yellow mark over the icon most likely would be called "network adapter". If neither are shown then it's a hardware issue, try reseating the card and checking it for dust and other debris. If you do need hardware just go to the website of the brand of card and navigate to the drivers section, they should help the rest of the way.

Read more on

http://www.techyv.co...-icon-disappear

#13 manthan

manthan

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:26 AM

I think Theres A fault with u r Lan Card or onboard one Just Attach A lan wire in u r lan port and in ur router n see that u can access the settings of u r router n reply again....i hope it solves u r prblem.... :lol: